Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

893bet wrote: »
    Zombie thread but no point starting another really!

Current SOTC.

IMG-1615.jpg
    free image hosting

Where to next? No where unless I move the Monaco. On a watch buying ban this year but watches on the list include the below in no order:

1) Rolex Hulk
    2) Rolex Yachtmaster 42
    3) JLC ultra thin Moon
    4) Glashutte Panoreserve (Blue or grey)
    5) Blue faced Monaco
    6) Omega Speedmaster Tuesday 1

Above my collection from last April from earlier in this thread.

Blnr and the Monaco has both been moved since then. Added a speedmaster and move it on also (it’s above in FGs picture!). Added a Stowa marine and a Nomos Ahoi Atlantic.

5-B64372-E-3642-4232-A1-C5-B303-E4-A87408.jpg

57-B5-CE5-D-F2-B4-4-DFD-9-DF2-7-CD8-F1374608.jpg

Future plans

Not really looking to move anything. Could let the Stowa marine go maybe, almost did two weeks ago. Not sure yet on that one. It’s a lovely watch and not a big €€€€ value percentage of the overall collection but it really punches above its weight and gets a lot of wrist time. The only manual wind piece also.
    The VC gets very little wrist time (only one on bracelet...); could let it go but it is irreplaceable as they are difficult to get (sadly that doesn’t mean they are appreciating to a fortune...hard to get and in low demand!).

Looking at my previous lists of want above from last year......meh.........would certainly take a Hulk or blue Monaco if they were available at ease at the right €€ just to scratch the itch but I know they wouldn’t stay.

JLC thin moon! Most definitely. The grey faced gold version pls! Not likely though.

Firmly on the radar is an it an Alange & Sohne. Model, most likely a 3 hander saxonia or one of the plainer 1815’s. But they are all equally lovely.

Daytona remains my favourite...closely followed by milgauss. Lets hope in 6 months the collection is still intact...strange times.

That Daytona is pretty special.

(Too much Rolex.....)

Strange times indeed! Could be trading the Daytona for a ventilator in 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

20200318-190514.jpg

Lovely to see the F91 in that box with the Rollei.
    We have one watch in common, we could do a bacon number type index for watch collections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

893bet wrote: »
    Above my collection from last April from earlier in this thread.
    SNIP

I think if I had that VC and Aquanaut, I would not need any more watches, they make a fantastic pairing. The VC for dress/formal and the Aquanaut as the daily.

Great collection!

eljono wrote: »
    I think if I had that VC and Aquanaut, I would not need any more watches, they make a fantastic pairing. The VC for dress/formal and the Aquanaut as the daily.

Great collection!

They are a stunning pair. 2 of the holy 3. There is only a single 1 watch from AP I would wear if I was to try complete a trio, that being the Blue jumbo ultra thin Royal Oak. Impossible to get.

Not sure the VC will stay ultimately. I am just anti bracelet and there are no options with this one that I can find. Nato/rubber or leather is what I like.

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Considering which of these to sell off. Nothing added yet this year.

Next will be a Speedmaster, Aqua Terra or Grand Seiko but will need one or two of these out first
    SNIP
    The Longines is stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

dinorebel wrote: »
    The Longines is stunning
    Keep an eye on the for sale thread. I live abroad but in normal times I'm home once a month or so.

That or one of the others could be up for the chop once things come back to normal and / or there is a big dent in my pocket from something new. Could be a few months yet I guess though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I like this you know what you like. I have a soft spot for tags myself and would like a monnaco at some point. My collection below, A range of watches, I like different colours and dials. Looking on this thread what I posted before, I was wrong, the speedmaster wears super well and I have worn it a lot. The orange seiko 5 is a fun watch, the ecodrive is never worn...but I am amazed by the technology. Wifes Datejust not pictured, her Tank is a recient addition. Daytona remains my favourite...closely followed by milgauss. Lets hope in 6 months the collection is still intact...strange times.

20200318-190514.jpg

What's the orange Seiko model?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Casio at work and samurai on the weekends. Unfortunately the rest dint get a look in.

506188.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

etxp wrote: »
    What's the orange Seiko model?

Its a boggo Seiko 5 the new version, even has a display back although I would have prefered them to make it a few mm thinner than display what is a non embellished movement. You pick them up for under 200 euro most of the time https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=seiko+5+orange&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 , the standard bracelet it comes with is not great, better than the old SKX ones but still hollow feeling affair, these watches really do take a nato well.

• Advertisement

Its a boggo Seiko 5 the new version, even has a display back although I would have prefered them to make it a few mm thinner than display what is a non embellished movement. You pick them up for under 200 euro most of the time https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=seiko+5+orange&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 , the standard bracelet it comes with is not great, better than the old SKX ones but still hollow feeling affair, these watches really do take a nato well.

I want!! I would like to get a good automatic watch. I have a Fossil one, but its quite large, this would be a nice everyday watch I think.

I want!! I would like to get a good automatic watch. I have a Fossil one, but its quite large, this would be a nice everyday watch I think.

Warning, seiko 5 is a gateway watch. Once you get it you will want more and more and more. Then you look at the watchbox and you have a grand of watches and think...hummm, maybe a Longines or even a tag....then comes the omega...the comes the rolex...the comes the sell off...then comes the post selloff rebuy and suddenly you have a nice car worth of watches, all of which can only be worn one at a time. You become a total saddo like me, with strong opinions about movements, sizes, brands and values....its a mental illness especially if you have any kind of collector mentality.

Still its a bit of fun, and you could be drinking your money. :)

Warning, seiko 5 is a gateway watch. Once you get it you will want more and more and more. Then you look at the watchbox and you have a grand of watches and think...hummm, maybe a Longines or even a tag....then comes the omega...the comes the rolex...the comes the sell off...then comes the post selloff rebuy and suddenly you have a nice car worth of watches, all of which can only be worn one at a time. You become a total saddo like me, with strong opinions about movements, sizes, brands and values....its a mental illness especially if you have any kind of collector mentality.

I've always wanted a TAG so I'm doomed anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Yep sounds exactly like the symptoms I experienced. :p

Started with a G-Shock 20 years ago.

Then I cought it bad.

My gateway watches were Invicta! Had about 10 of them all 50mm + , luckly there wasnt many for sale in Ireland at the time so when I realised I was losing the plot with them I managed to sell them off for what I paid for them.

Of course what watch did I buy after my invicta clearout. A Seiko which just caused thinks to escalate to me buying a Rolex in 2018 and looking for an 15 year old Rolex in 2020!

So yes I agree, Seiko should come with a warning on the box!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

its a mental illness especially if you have any kind of collector mentality.

A part of my mental illness. Earlier.

506200.jpg

There's about that number again... :o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's an illness alright......

CHRONO VIRUS!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

2shea wrote: »

CHRONO VIRUS!
    You Sir, win the internet. :D

tenor.gif

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yep sounds exactly like the symptoms I experienced. :p

Started with a G-Shock 20 years ago.

Then I cought it bad.

My gateway watches were Invicta! Had about 10 of them all 50mm + , luckly there wasnt many for sale in Ireland at the time so when I realised I was losing the plot with them I managed to sell them off for what I paid for them.

Of course what watch did I buy after my invicta clearout. A Seiko which just caused thinks to escalate to me buying a Rolex in 2018 and looking for an 15 year old Rolex in 2020!

So yes I agree, Seiko should come with a warning on the box!

Something like the graphic pics of sick babies on the fag boxes!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

CHRONO VIRUS!

Post of the year right there....why didnt I see it :D

Post of the year right there....why didnt I see it :D

I know it sad to laugh at your own jokes but I was rolling about the place typing that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Sure I will, then! All present except one G-Shock. Have thought to move one or two on in recent times, but a change of shoes really does wonders...

506207.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Love that grey dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I've always wanted a TAG so I'm doomed anyway :D

Assilimation started :P

You'll buy every other watch but the Tag but it will be in the back of your mind. As you gradually spend more and more on watches you'll then talk yourself into spending a good few quid on a Tag and you'll get one :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

shutup wrote: »
    Love that grey dawn

Thanks, I was lucky getting it. Someone else posted a snap of theirs here, i went to the Irish Seiko site and it was there, so i snapped it up. Twas actually going on the chopping block last year and then some personal issues distracted me, so i never got around to it! Strange how things work out.

I'm looking to add a Tudor this year (Lizard King's chrono came too early!) - if i can do it without parting with anything I'll be happy.

Wibbs wrote: »
    SNIP

What model is the Omega on the right Wibbs? Looks cool, not one I'm familiar with.

Omega Seamaster "Mariner 1", from 1975 IIRC(I did find out it was an early example). It was the model that housed their first inhouse quartz movement. To advertise it they stuck one to the mast and keel of a transatlantic yacht, as you do... They survived that and both kept the same level of accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Sure I will, then! All present except one G-Shock. Have thought to move one or two on in recent times, but a change of shoes really does wonders...
    SNIP

First refusal on that legends diver please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=506207&stc=1&d=1584625110

Kinda miss the Longines Chrono

Wibbs wrote: »
    Omega Seamaster "Mariner 1", from 1975 IIRC(I did find out it was an early example). It was the model that housed their first inhouse quartz movement. To advertise it they stuck one to the mast and keel of a transatlantic yacht, as you do... They survived that and both kept the same level of accuracy.

Very cool, thanks for the background, must do some research on them tonight. Looks a bit chunky, does it wear high?

• Advertisement

eljono wrote: »
    Very cool, thanks for the background, must do some research on them tonight. Looks a bit chunky, does it wear high?
    It looks more chunky than it is E, but wears smaller and I've scrawny wrists.

Advertisement