Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st post: w00t!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

You are approached by an evil warlock. He gives you a choice. Boards.ie will shut down forever, or can be saved, but only by you killing a defenseless chicken with your bare hands. If you choose not to kill the chicken, Boards.ie will be no more.

Please answer the question before reading the part in spoilers.

Outcome 1 - If you chose not to kill the chicken.
    The closing down of boards.ie has had a huge effect on a number of people. Thousands can't deal with the loss and decide to emigrate to a chicken slaughterhouse in Rwanda, they go on to kill many many chickens.

Outcome 2 - If you chose to kill the chicken.
    The evil warlock has tricked you. The chicken was not just any chicken, but a chicken who had a rare gene which could be manipulated by scientists to cure any illness in the world.

Write a brief story of your life after the encounter with the evil warlock, describe how you deal with the guilt of what happened in either Outcome 1 or 2 (whichever one is applicable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Have you made many real life friends from the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Macavity. wrote: »
    You are approached by an evil warlock. He gives you a choice. Boards.ie will shut down forever, or can be saved, but only by you killing a defenseless chicken with your bare hands. If you choose not to kill the chicken, Boards.ie will be no more.

Please answer the question before reading the part in spoilers.

Outcome 1 - If you chose not to kill the chicken.
    The closing down of boards.ie has had a huge effect on a number of people. Thousands can't deal with the loss and decide to emigrate to a chicken slaughterhouse in Rwanda, they go on to kill many many chickens.

Outcome 2 - If you chose to kill the chicken.
    The evil warlock has tricked you. The chicken was not just any chicken, but a chicken who had a rare gene which could be manipulated by scientists to cure any illness in the world.

Write a brief story of your life after the encounter with the evil warlock, describe how you deal with the guilt of what happened in either Outcome 1 or 2 (whichever one is applicable).
    Well of course it's option 2 - kill the chicken, that's a no brainer.. Chickens get killed every day for food, I'll ensure it's eaten, but I'll get someone else to gut it... yak

My life after the sadness of being tricked by an evil warlock... I'm happy to have inspired many scientists to dissect the chicken and learn from the dead chicken's genes, but unhappy that I haven't being recompensed for my part in stopping illness. Because the clever science people figured out how to cure illness from the chicken genes, you see. I got bitter from not making money, and even more so because I'm not dying from illness, so I decide to make my dream slaughterhouse - 'Meat your maker' in which I kill animals at bargain prices. It makes money for a while, but it's just not a sustainable business idea due to all the healthy people going vegan. Alas, I go to end it all, when suddenly the evil warlock approaches me and offers me evil warlock powers, and a chicken and tells me to get to work...

Tilly wrote: »
    Have you made many real life friends from the site?
    Yes, many. Although I live in Scotland now, so don't see them often.

I went to a number of boards beers a few years ago, and made friends there, and from general boards browsing. I've even had colleagues of boards friends see me in Greece when they went there on a trip, and will meet up with boards folk here in Scotland soon I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Are AMA requests allowed like on Reddit? Or would that be a bit pointless?

• Advertisement

I'd say until Dav creates a charter, anything is possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

If I were in a room full of people, how would I know a Boards Administrator from all the 'normal' folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

What's it like working as the warden of the Prison forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

What item of clothing and / or common household appliance am I thinking of right now?

If I were in a room full of people, how would I know a Boards Administrator from all the 'normal' folk?
    So presumably you're not talking about a boards beer, because nobody is 'normal' there...

I'd say you'd just need to look around for the most raucous group, swilling Blue Nun wine and eating steak. If it's a nice posh establishment, we may not all look that posh, and if it's a dive bar, we won't all look like complete mentallers. We're a mixed bunch..
    What's it like working as the warden of the Prison forum?
    Usually it's pretty tedious, you generally deal with a lot of the same numpties a lot of the time. They'll pretend they aren't the same person, but they are - we both know this, but they still try to keep the charade going. The user may seem very convincing that they're genuine, but they aren't. They are a troublemaker.

And the rest of the people will come across prison for the first time, and will inevitably go through the 6 stages of being banned:

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance
    Re-registration

It gets a tad dull sometimes, seeing people think that we don't know they're lying. But there are some occasions that make up for it. Mainly what makes up for it is removing trouble from the site though.

• Advertisement

What item of clothing and / or common household appliance am I thinking of right now?
    A turkey baster.

Gordon wrote: »
    Usually it's pretty tedious, you generally deal with a lot of the same numpties a lot of the time. They'll pretend they aren't the same person, but they are - we both know this, but they still try to keep the charade going. The user may seem very convincing that they're genuine, but they aren't. They are a troublemaker.

And the rest of the people will come across prison for the first time, and will inevitably go through the 6 stages of being banned:

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance
    Re-registration

It gets a tad dull sometimes, seeing people think that we don't know they're lying. But there are some occasions that make up for it. Mainly what makes up for it is removing trouble from the site though.
    Do they usually use different IP addresses whenever they sign back up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

A turkey baster.

Get out of my mind!!! :eek:

Do they usually use different IP addresses whenever they sign back up?
    A lot of them do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Who is the boldest admin? Im gonna vote for sparky. he is a bad apple.

How do you define bold?! In my circle of friends/work buddys - bold means a mixture of sheer idiocy and brash impropriety.

How do you define bold?! In my circle of friends/work buddys - bold means a mixture of sheer idiocy and brash impropriety.
    The one who uses the most Bold washing powder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

just below that, naughty. Like using your admin powers for evil?

The one who uses the most Bold washing powder?
    I imagine that will be the Admins that have children, but if we're talking just for themselves I'd hazard a guess at Mr E - he's clean as a button.
    just below that, naughty. Like using your admin powers for evil?
    Ah, the one that needs more Bold washing powder? We don't use our powers for evil, in fact we've all signed a Data Processing Agreement by which we are beholden to, as we have access to certain data.

I'm not sure who the most bold is, some may say me due to my dismissal of various users on Prison, some may say BuffyBot due to his hardline stance on re-registrations, some may say Beruthiel due to her choice in wine, not sure sorry!

OSI wrote: »
    Why do kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?
    It stems back to the time when cinnamon was actually shipped packaged in poppy plants. Poppy plants because opium was legal to all at the time, and also cinnamon as we know is easily breakable, so they used to package it up in that to stop it from breaking. And naturally, some of the poppy heroin would seep out into the cinnamon. etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

If you could meet any user on boards, who would it be and why?

And are you regretting starting this thread?

LizT wrote: »
    If you could meet any user on boards, who would it be and why?
    There's loads actually, I always plan on flying over to a boards beer to do just that, but it's tricky. The top small handful that I haven't met and would like to are dr.bollocko, Pighead and Wibbs.

dr.bollocko cos I just like the guy, and would love to have a beer with him. Pighead and Wibbs, I totally can't imagine what they look like or how they act in 'real' life. Pighead cracks me up, and Wibbs always gets me thinking.
    And are you regretting starting this thread?
    I am the 'first post w00t' master, I could not resist posting it. I did initially regret it, to be honest, but it's fun, I'll be following this forum when it stops getting boring Admins like me on to answer questions!

Hot bedroom or cool bedroom when going to sleep?

Tilly wrote: »
    Hot bedroom or cool bedroom when going to sleep?
    Cold because I don't like being hot, I usually sleep without covers due to that.

What music are you listening to now. Not right now but lately.

I go through albums by playing them over and over and over, listening to nothing/little else, and then moving to another album and the cycle repeats.. My current album is Brotherhood by The Chemical Brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Are you a real person or just an evil computer simulation like HAL 9000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

How many times will you wear pyjamas before washing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Did you really believe your account would make such an impact on this community when you opened it ?

How do you feel about the level of trust given to you ?

• Advertisement

Are you a real person or just an evil computer simulation like HAL 9000.
    Of course I'm a real person! ![/response.write(exclTerm &" !"&endQuotMarker)]

Advertisement