Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talkin' to - David Gray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sharktopus

Hi David,

New album is fantastic!

This is a question for the memory banks! - Around 2000/1 you played a gig in the Olympia, you played an epic really moving song called (I think) the Great North Sea, it was a new song. The crowd went crazy for it, you said it was definitely going to be on the next album but that was the last I ever heard it. Did it become another song, or will it be released at some time in the future. Not nit-picking, there's been loads of other great songs, just always wondered what happened to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Hello,

can you tell me about your inspirations for "The Other Side" on "A new Day at Midnight", one of my all time favourite tracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 whitebeard

Hi David
    I just want to ask you and now is my time. Can you remember playing a gig in a pub in Birmingham called "The Varsity" it was around 1999-2000 I think. You were top class. You had Tim and Cluane playing with you. We asked could we come in to your backstage room and you said yes off course because we were Irish. We had a great chat with ye and you gave your pleck drum to my girlfriend at the time, we only separated in November last year. We've been to limerick to watch you support Bob Dylan a couple years ago. Time changes but for the best. Hope you remember that event in Birmingham. Sound Out Dave.Take care.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hi David,
    I think it was Dolans Warehouse in Limerick which was the 1st time I saw you, lovely place. Also Gaiety in Dublin was superbly intimate venue.
    Wondering what you thought of Westport House as a venue this summer, it must have been unusual playing to such a spread of tastes and ages, we had our 1 year old there and I saw people in their 70's and 80's all loving your music and the event.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hey David

What's your favourite type of cheese?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

What's the best gig you've ever played and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Hi David,

Is the internet a good or a bad thing for you as an artist? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭emeo

David, best venue/gig you've ever played?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hello David

if there was one song by another artist you wish you could have written what would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hey david

what was it like to play in Waterford last july. was it a good venue for the gig ??, would you return

Thanks

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sailorheart

Hello!

We're putting on a sailing race through the Arctic and greatly appreciate your music: Sail Away has been a source of inspiration.

Thanks David!

Will you be out to play in Canada again soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yo David,

What's your favourite shade of gray?

Blog-2.png

Do bear in mind it's going on the wall of a prison cell, so let's not go too dreary.. keep it light!

Ah no, saw you in The Point back in 2005 and it was an excellent gig. Ireland definitely seems to have embraced you.. White Ladder is still the number 1 selling album ever in Ireland (as far as I know).. so how does playing in front of Irish fans compete with fans in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Hi David,

What is your opinion of music piracy and is killing the industry?

Is it about time record labels find another way to distribute music instead of lobbying to politicians to censor file-sharing websites like the Pirate Bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭LUZ

i have a few questions!! what are your thoughts on the irish music scene at the moment, do you think its too cliquey/small ? can musicians/bands/whatever just be people or do they have to fit into a certain 'type' before being noticed??
    how can we start making irish music more mainstream or is it impossible?

(im sick of hearing about the same few bands etc when there are some amazing musicians out there)

i LOVE a century ends and Flesh , i love the rawness to the songs but theres a big difference between then and now, are u still fond of the oldies???!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Hey David,

Who are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Hi David,

Do you drink Red Bull and if so does it give you wings? What is it like to be the inspiration for '50 Shades Of Gray'?

Thanks Dave, and peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi David Gray

In your classical song "This years love" who or what was your inspiration for this song?

Thanks

Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Hi David,

You're the world to me and as I'm leaving the lights of London and I heard you were coming down, lately I have wondered if This years love went over my head.

I was thinking I might sail away on a tidal wave to new horizons, but it would feel like a wurlitzer in slow motion and so in my wisdom I might hold on.

Anyway you are probably growing tired of me and so my question is, In god's name, what am i doing wrong?

and please forgive me, but can you answer faster, sooner, now!

The real question is how many of your songs have i mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i HAD A Potato in my wardrobe until i ate it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Dear David

I like the game farming simulator,do you like the game farming simulator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont really have a question, more of a story that happened in the summer of 2004. I was heading off backpacking in the summer for a month and had wanted to go see Bill Baileys stand up show in the Olympia the night after I got back. I didnt get tickets before leaving so when I got home from a months jaunt around the Middle East me and a mate went along to the Olympia and bought a pair of tickets off a tout, without even inspecting them properly.

When we got into the theatre I had a look down onto the stage and saw a piano and other instruments, nothing unusual there as I'd seen Bill Baileys stand up in the West End the year previous and knew he plays a lot of instruments. So me and my mate went to the bar which had a large Q. Whilst waited to get served we heard the crowd shriek as someone came on the stage and a familiar tune started up. Both of us knew we knew it but didn't know it for sure until the magic words kicked in, "Sail away with me honey, what will be will be'. Both me and my mate turned to each other and simulataneously blurped out "Thats David Gray!" and then went out to our seats to see it was indeed David Gray. During my month away I'd mixed up the dates and was convinced Bill Bailey was playing on the 14th when he had really played the night before. Anyway given both of us were huge fans of White Ladder and had played it constantly on road trips together in New Zealand a year earlier we got over our surprise and quickly got down to enjoying one of the best gigs and performances I've ever seen. So thanks for that, you both surprised and entertained us that night and it was such a superb gig that the memory of it is as fresh today as the day it happened.

So thanks for all the great tunes and all the great memories they have produced. And I wish you continued success in your career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hello David,

Why does your head wobble from side to side as you sing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

If you could go back in time and live in that moment one more time what would you change ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stella the Artist

Dave,
    When you go off on a tangent at the end if your live performances as you fantastically do- how much of it is rehearsed? Do you just sing lyrics that come to mind? By the way, Mutineers is my fave album yet especially title track, it never fails to give me butterflies.

Lou

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Have you any plans to do a duet with Max Boyce?

If not, count me out of the competition..

Bleddyn Thomas.
    (current standby backup tenor and former boy soprano, Swansea Male voice Choir)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Dear David

Quick Question .... All of the Corrs or none of the Corrs.... Sexwise???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Hi David I'm a relatively hip 21 year old male, you Daniel Powter, Daniel Bedingfield, James Blunt and Damien Rice are all one person as far as I'm concerned, moving forward, how do you plan to stand out in the crowded 'sad pop' genre to a new generation of fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Hi David,

Favourite song of all time is your version of Say hello wave goodbye, did you like Mark Almonds version, and why cover it..

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

David,

My girlfriend asked me to say to you...

If you want it, come and get it.

Be gentle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,972 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hi David,

Are you still playing with that nutter of a drummer? Saw ye years ago in the Mean Fiddler.

PS - he is/was the spitting image of Peter Sellers!

Advertisement