Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

reports of 130 US deaths in Iraq

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-13047720,00.html

heres an update from Sky News, which is also picked up by the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3606273.stm).
    It seems as though the 130 death toll was the result of reactionary and sensationalised reporting from Sky News.

I will lock this thread at midnight if there is no major development to prove the original report correct before then

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Typical SKY some would say. The report apparently came from a source but NOT an offcial one, in the Pentagon. David Chater on Sky News (who is in Baghdad) said to treat the 130 number will cauton. Looks like he was right.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by mike65
    Typical SKY some would say. The report apparently came from a source but NOT an offcial one, in the Pentagon. David Chater on Sky News (who is in Baghdad) said to treat the 130 number will cauton. Looks like he was right.

Mike.

Some on-line sources (Washington Post) claim 19 US troops and 99 Iraqi's killed, since sunday. which might be where Sky's figure of 130 came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ok, no other news agencies have picked up on the '130' figure, which says to me that it is a total fabrication, or even misunderstanding of some kind.

anyway, the figure of 12 seems to be the official one, and I'll include any updates on it in my editing of the 'Todays News' sticky in the morning.

*locked*

Flogen

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement