Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad losers and time wasters !

• 20-08-2019 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

I have been playing a lot on Chess.com

hyh.jpg

My goal is / was to hit 1300 ranking, am nearly there.. But

The more I play, the more I meet nasty players.

They quit, waste time, stop moving and just let the clock tick down, some just keep demanding a draw, even when well beaten. Also players from certain countries are worse than others.

I love the game, but this carry on has soured me a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I like lichess.org for that reason. They punish that sort of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭satguy

mikhail wrote: »
    I like lichess.org for that reason. They punish that sort of behaviour.

I was thinking of setting up an account over there.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

satguy wrote: »
    I have been playing a lot on Chess.com

hyh.jpg

My goal is / was to hit 1300 ranking, am nearly there.. But

The more I play, the more I meet nasty players.

They quit, waste time, stop moving and just let the clock tick down, some just keep demanding a draw, even when well beaten. Also players from certain countries are worse than others.

I love the game, but this carry on has soured me a bit.

Sadly it is not just online that these sad people behave in an unacceptable way. I played someone in a real game and when I made a gross blunder which lost a whole piece in a bad position I instantly resigned and offered my hand. My opponent immediately said "Oh, I was going to win eventually even if you hadn't blundered " and then followed it up with " I guess that evens up our lifetime score then". I asked him how he figured that as I had 2.5 from our previous three encounters , to which he replied "I beat you in a correspondence game but maybe you don't count that?".
    Now maybe he did beat me once in a postal game but if he did it was about 40 years ago when I entered a mickey mouse competition in the Evening Herald where I didn't use books at all but obviously all my opponents did. I have long since forgotten the whole event and whoever I may have played but obviously the person in question had to hang on to this little victory to somehow boost his own self esteem and in the recent game it wasn't enough to just win the point, he had to convince himself for the same reason that it wasn't just because of my blunder. It is sad really but the chess world does seem to have an over abundance of people who seem to base their very self esteem on their chess rating and results, that is why those morons on the internet can't just resign and accept defeat and why others are always reminding everyone at every opportunity of good results they may have had against better players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I played a game in Kilkenny a couple of years ago where a speculative sac quickly turned into a lovely attack and then a simple mate in 3. My opponent spent 25 minutes thinking about the position before resigning. People were walking by doing double-takes because the same mate had been on the board 15 minutes earlier.

It's worse online though; I think part of it is that there's more people who aren't acquainted with chess etiquette (as opposed to rules). Cultural norms could impact too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I play 10 min and 1 min games on chess.com. I originally played those rapid play ones but switched for exactly the reason you mentioned. That sort of behaviour is pretty rare in 10 min games and its capacity to annoy is pretty limited. You do get the occasional laughable draw request. Most people just resign when they're obviously going to lose.

• Advertisement

So,, after starting this thread to give out about Chess.com. I did go and set up a lichess.org account.

In my first match my opponent made a really bad move,, and next thing I see is him requesting a take back / do over.

WTF .. !!!

I play 10 min and 1 min games on chess.com. I originally played those rapid play ones but switched for exactly the reason you mentioned. That sort of behaviour is pretty rare in 10 min games and its capacity to annoy is pretty limited. You do get the occasional laughable draw request. Most people just resign when they're obviously going to lose.

I have tried 3 and 10 minute games, but am not that good, so tend to play slower.

I mostly play 30 min games.

So,, after starting this thread to give out about Chess.com. I did go and set up a lichess.org account.

In my first match my opponent made a really bad move,, and next thing I see is him requesting a take back / do over.

WTF .. !!!
    You could do that on Yahoo! chess back in the day. When I played casually in college it was the norm to allow it (even suggest it). The focus was generally on interesting games first and competition second. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense in a rated game though.

Many years ago I played a game of chess which literally caused a riot. I was on holiday in Italy and used to hang out at night in a bar right on a beach. There was a chess set in the pub so I used to play against the locals and also against visitors. The locals had long since given up playing me for vino but the visitors were more naive. I would always make sure that the games appeared very close and sometime I would even throw a game or two until the stakes rose then I would "luckily" start to win. The locals all knew what I was up to and often placed side bets with the friends of the people I was playing. One night a Swiss tourist sat down to play me , he was a decent player and highly competitive probably rated around 1800 (I was 2000) so he was no pushover. I kept winning so he had to keep buying drinks . We played for quite a while so his very beautiful girlfriend was beginning to get a bit bored. She spoke more English than he did so I started trying to chat her up and seemed to be making headway so in my tipsy state suggested to her that we play the next game for her (it seemed a good idea at the time). Anyway, I won and the grumpy Swiss went off in a huff with my prize in tow. I thought no more about it and soon left the pub by the back door which opened on to the beach.
    The next night when I came back all the locals started slagging me about starting a riot. I was told that after Mr Swiss had left the pub his girlfriend had told him about the bet I had suggested. He went ape and came back to the pub looking for me. I don't know exactly what happened next but apparently all hell broke out and the Carabinieri were called. In the ensuing melee he resisted arrest and his girlfriend kicked an officer resulting in them both being carted off in the back of a police van. Talk about a bad loser ,,,sheesh.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Many years ago I played a game of chess which literally caused a riot. I was on holiday in Italy and used to hang out at night in a bar right on a beach. There was a chess set in the pub so I used to play against the locals and also against visitors. The locals had long since given up playing me for vino but the visitors were more naive. I would always make sure that the games appeared very close and sometime I would even throw a game or two until the stakes rose then I would "luckily" start to win. The locals all knew what I was up to and often placed side bets with the friends of the people I was playing. One night a Swiss tourist sat down to play me , he was a decent player and highly competitive probably rated around 1800 (I was 2000) so he was no pushover. I kept winning so he had to keep buying drinks . We played for quite a while so his very beautiful girlfriend was beginning to get a bit bored. She spoke more English than he did so I started trying to chat her up and seemed to be making headway so in my tipsy state suggested to her that we play the next game for her (it seemed a good idea at the time). Anyway, I won and the grumpy Swiss went off in a huff with my prize in tow. I thought no more about it and soon left the pub by the back door which opened on to the beach.
    The next night when I came back all the locals started slagging me about starting a riot. I was told that after Mr Swiss had left the pub his girlfriend had told him about the bet I had suggested. He went ape and came back to the pub looking for me. I don't know exactly what happened next but apparently all hell broke out and the Carabinieri were called. In the ensuing melee he resisted arrest and his girlfriend kicked an officer resulting in them both being carted off in the back of a police van. Talk about a bad loser ,,,sheesh.
    Damned chess jocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

WTF .. !!!
    I think it's a good feature - very easy to make a slip of your finger when playing on your phone. I find it pretty rare that people try to take advantage of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You can turn off the "Take Back Move" request I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Millwall

Give over will ye . Do you live on boards m8 @sodacat , you'd swear you were a GM kek

Millwall wrote: »
    Give over will ye . Do you live on boards m8 @sodacat , you'd swear you were a GM kek

One of the more articulate Millwall fans :pac:

One of the more articulate Millwall fans :pac:

You remind me of KingsCrusher , such a good meme

Millwall wrote: »
    You remind me of KingsCrusher , such a good meme

Never heard of him but I like the name:cool:

Never heard of him but I like the name:cool: