Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Is there any prospect of a fight between any two of Wilder, Fury, or AJ coming soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is there any prospect of a fight between any two of Wilder, Fury, or AJ coming soon?

Wilder Fury will be early 2020.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Wilder Fury will be early 2020.

That should be some scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

That should be some scrap.

Backed Fury in the first one but I think Wilder wins the second one,

Simple reason he now knows what its like to fight Fury now and will be better prepared ,

I know Fury will be fitter and stronger than last time bu t I don't think he can stop Wilder so it'll be the same game plan ,
    The fact Wilder only needs one shot gives him the advantage in my opinion ,

In truth I think we all know its a Wilder ko or Fury on the cards,

Fury v Wilder is a done deal if both win there next fights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Simple reason he now knows what its like to fight Fury now and will be better prepared ,

I know Fury will be fitter and stronger than last time bu t I don't think he can stop Wilder so it'll be the same game plan ,

I have a similar feeling aswell, bottom line is wilder is going to catch you. It's a huge ask staying focused for 12 rounds on not to get hit with one bomb...

Both men will go into this more confident than the last fight, but I think it should be wilder who has the most confidence.

He found away to break fury guard (all be it in the last round) and will have high hopes he can do it sooner, if he does fury might have 3 or 4 rounds to get through until the end of the fight, and we saw what it did to AJ getting hit after 3 rounds.

If Fury can nullify Wilder from catching him he laments his spot as the top dog

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

fitzparker wrote: »
    I have a similar feeling aswell, bottom line is wilder is going to catch you. It's a huge ask staying focused for 12 rounds on not to get hit with one bomb...

Both men will go into this more confident than the last fight, but I think it should be wilder who has the most confidence.

He found away to break fury guard (all be it in the last round) and will have high hopes he can do it sooner, if he does fury might have 3 or 4 rounds to get through until the end of the fight, and we saw what it did to AJ getting hit after 3 rounds.

If Fury can nullify Wilder from catching him he laments his spot as the top dog

you would have to assume fury has more improvement in him from the last fight than wilder though, plus he looked like he had more power in his shots against schwarz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Fury got tagged cleanly by Swartz twice in the first. Was suprised at that

You're probably right although I thought Fury boxed nicely against Schwartz and Wilder did get set back with a nice punch from braizzille(I know spelling is wrong) albeit Wilder then dropped him with a beut. Still I like Fury and will back him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I think there's a bit of an overreaction to Fury's win over Schwarz. Ok he did well but Schwarz was grossly inferior to him. I don't see Fury beating Wilder in the rematch. I get the feeling if he gets tagged again he won't get up this time so easily. Wilder is constantly threatening with the knockout punch. Fury is the better boxer but its a shame he doesn't have the knockout ability.

• Advertisement

I think there's a bit of an overreaction to Fury's win over Schwarz. Ok he did well but Schwarz was grossly inferior to him. I don't see Fury beating Wilder in the rematch. I get the feeling if he gets tagged again he won't get up this time so easily. Wilder is constantly threatening with the knockout punch. Fury is the better boxer but its a shame he doesn't have the knockout ability.

Schwarz wasn't up to much but Fury did look great,

Fury "DOES" have the ability to stop you ,

He stopped Hammer who's gone the distance recently with Ortiz and Pulev ,
    Wlad was afraid to trade after taking a few shots , He stopped Del boy ,

He looked weak in his first 3 comeback fights but that was due to the massive weight loss ,

Now I don't think he would stop Wilder simply because he'd be mad to plant his feet and go after the KO as one well timed shot form Wilder can KO anyone , but I do think Fury has the ability to KO anyone

Fury has 20 KOs in 29 fights.

Yeah but these wouldn't be one punch ko's, most of his ko's were from successive punches where the opponent wasn't protecting himself. Don't remember a fight where he had an opponent falling around a ring. Having said that he has the ability to stop wilder, especially later into the fight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

He stopped Hammer who's gone the distance recently with Ortiz and Pulev ,
    Wlad was afraid to trade after taking a few shots , He stopped Del boy.

Hammer wasn't ko'd though. His corner called it off after the 8th round.

Same for chisora in both fights he retired on his stool.

Fury is very good at giving slower and smaller HW's a sustained beating which saps their energy and confidence and makes any chance of winning as the fight progresses very slim however a KO puncher he is not.

Against the bigger or faster guys he's good at keeping out of harms way and doing enough from range to win round after round if his opposition isn't good/poactive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

What I mean is knock out as in he connects with your chin and you stay down. Wilder style. Wilder knocks people clean out. Fury stops fighter through attrition.

Classic example of fighter stats being misleading.

Hammer wasn't ko'd though. His corner called it off after the 8th round.

Same for chisora in both fights he retired on his stool.

Fury is very good at giving slower and smaller HW's a sustained beating which saps their energy and confidence and makes any chance of winning as the fight progresses very slim however a KO puncher he is not.

Against the bigger or faster guys he's good at keeping out of harms way and doing enough from range to win round after round if his opposition isn't good/poactive enough.

KO or stoppage its all the same really, He still managed to stop guys who other top heavy weights struggled with ,

He stopped 8 out of 9 guys before the Wlad fight, Wlad was scared stiff to engage,

Since he come back he looked to have lost power which is understandable given the weight last, but last time out he did look to have the snap back ,

Fury can stop you but I think he took the clever route v Wilder as going toe to toe with him is asking to get ko'd

I do agree he is not a one punch power guy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

KO or stoppage its all the same really, He still managed to stop guys who other top heavy weights struggled with ,

He stopped 8 out of 9 guys before the Wlad fight,

Well yes and no. The nature of the Hammer and chisora stoppages were corners telling their men they were facing a pointless uphill battle so they were as well quit. Both had lost basically every round and had also tired to the point that they weren't going to get a lucky KO.

If the fights were close neither of them would have been quitting on their stool.

But yes Fury absolutely does deserve credit for creating these situations that other HW's struggled to create.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Not sure about some of these points should Wilder meet Fury again. Fury spoke a lot about a lack of match fitness going into that fight and I think he's got a point. He looked to be moving much better last week but granted there was little to no danger. Wilder looked a beaten man after that fight. He reminded me of Parker vs Hughie when it was called a draw. Disbelief. Against Breazeale he looked very hittable too. I think Fury wins that one with a bit to spare. Of course the KO threat is still there.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Not sure about some of these points should Wilder meet Fury again. Fury spoke a lot about a lack of match fitness going into that fight and I think he's got a point. He looked to be moving much better last week but granted there was little to no danger. Wilder looked a beaten man after that fight. He reminded me of Parker vs Hughie when it was called a draw. Disbelief. Against Breazeale he looked very hittable too. I think Fury wins that one with a bit to spare. Of course the KO threat is still there.

No question Fury is the better boxer and no surprise if he was to win but iv a sneaky feeling Wilder will catch him earlier this time and Ko him , I reckon Fury will be up on the cards when it happens,

I think its a toss of a coin because of the Wilder's punch power ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

I reckon Wilder will finish fury quick if they meet. He was to passive last time. He will go looking this time early i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Is it going to happen tough. The way heavyweight boxing is at the moment the dodging may end up we don't see fights. Pathetic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Usyk has triggered his WBO mandatory and will fight the winner of th AJ vs Ruiz rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Usyk has triggered his WBO mandatory and will fight the winner of th AJ vs Ruiz rematch

Is he not going to have a warm up fight first?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Is he not going to have a warm up fight first?

I'd imagine he is as he'll have to wait till after the rematch

Usyk isn't that small. Plenty time for him to ate a bit of Spud. He would beat Joshua or ruiz I think.

Was Whyte not no 1 for last few months, harsh on him

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Whyte is wbc no 1 contender I think

Cyrus wrote: »
    Whyte is wbc no 1 contender I think

Your correct and after Wilder v Ortiz it'll be over 600 days as number 1 contender without a title fight, Crazy stuff,

Your correct and after Wilder v Ortiz it'll be over 600 days as number 1 contender without a title fight, Crazy stuff,

Didn't he turn down some fights?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ye he turned down the AJ fight due to being low balled but it's Wilder who has the WBC belt,

He is number 1 in WBC for that amount of time and has not been offered Wilder and is chasing it, .

I wouldn't be surprised if his own man Eddie is keeping him for getting the fight, He wants that fight for AJ not Whyte,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Turned down title shot vs Joshua aswell as 2 final eliminators vs pulev and ortiz in order to take the chisora rematch for bigger money which is fair enough but he has no one to blame bar himself for not having got a shot yet.

Advertisement