Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Brides/Grooms

• 10-11-2017 4:16pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing as 2017 is drawing to a close soon, I figured there might be a few people out there planning their big day for 2019.

Happy planning guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Penguinhead

Plans are underway!! I can't believe how far in advance some services are booked! I am searching for makeup artists this week and some are booked for 2019. Advice to 2019 brides is to start shortlisting your preferred services and start emailing for availability. Congratulations to you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Meneval

Woop! Have been reading boards for so long waiting for this thread! :D

We're 2019. Have Church, Venue, Band and Photographer booked. Know who we want for Video but they're not taking bookings yet.

Have a good bit done, so not sure what else to do at this stage (I know there is stuff we could book but taking a bit of time now with the rest I think...A little break if you will)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LADYCA

Hey guys I'm also a 2019 bride. Have only booked hotel so far. Finding everything else so expensive. Have got a quote for €600 for 1 female singer to sing at the drinks reception (the part between the ceremony and food) I think that madness for probably 2 hours or so? Great work if you can get it I suppose!! Anybody doing anything for their drinks reception to entertain their guests that doesn't cost a small fortune?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

LADYCA wrote:
    Hey guys I'm also a 2019 bride. Have only booked hotel so far. Finding everything else so expensive. Have got a quote for €600 for 1 female singer to sing at the drinks reception (the part between the ceremony and food) I think that madness for probably 2 hours or so? Great work if you can get it I suppose!! Anybody doing anything for their drinks reception to entertain their guests that doesn't cost a small fortune?

Woah expensive!! I have Sean de Burca (piano man) booked for my ceremony AND drinks reception for less than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I think the only thing I've left to book is my makeup artist. I've almost got my humanist booked just waiting to flesh out the final details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Hoping for 2019 but haven't even visited any venues yet so not sure how likely that is!! We were waiting until we get a car to start visiting places but a few unexpected expenses make a car unlikely for a while...

love_love wrote:
    Hoping for 2019 but haven't even visited any venues yet so not sure how likely that is!! We were waiting until we get a car to start visiting places but a few unexpected expenses make a car unlikely for a while...

I have friends who got engaged this year and started planning and are having it May next year so don't worry about booking hugely in advance.. if you are open to dates and locations you can plan in short time :-) the only time you would need to plan this far in advance is if you have a specific (popular) date/ location/ popular band etc :-)

That's reassuring! We have a date in March that we'd like because it turns out our 5 year anniversary is on a Saturday in 2019 so it seems like a sign, but I get the impression March isn't mad popular (the place we have our eye on initially doesn't even have a booking for 2018 on our date in March) so fingers crossed we'll get an opportunity soon to check some places out. We're not booking a band so I know that frees us up a lot. Himself is in the last year of his PhD and is in work most weekends so I really just want to get the venue sorted and then I can pick away at all the other bits myself!

love_love wrote:
    That's reassuring! We have a date in March that we'd like because it turns out our 5 year anniversary is on a Saturday in 2019 so it seems like a sign, but I get the impression March isn't mad popular (the place we have our eye on initially doesn't even have a booking for 2018 on our date in March) so fingers crossed we'll get an opportunity soon to check some places out. We're not booking a band so I know that frees us up a lot. Himself is in the last year of his PhD and is in work most weekends so I really just want to get the venue sorted and then I can pick away at all the other bits myself!

You're right, I think in most places March is considered "off season" which would work to your advantage :-) that's a cute date to pick regarding your anniversary! Don't stress anyways, as I said, it can all be sorted in a short period of time if it needs to be! happy hunting :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Don't panic! We got engaged at the end of April this year and are getting married on Friday! Just shy of 7 months. We haven't had to sacrifice anything really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

We booked our venue today for September 2019. It all feels real now. :pac: We will book our celebrant and band shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We're doing it in May 2019, booked a date for the registry office. Also pretty much booked the photographer (just wanna have a meeting with her before we pay the deposit. Venue booking isn't much of an issue really but are in touch with them too. Once all of that is done, I won't do anything until the new year, besides the notification appointment in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liz84

Hi guys hoping to book our venue for July 2019 meeting a venue this week!! Don't know where to really start with organising anything. LirW not sure what you mean by notification appt in sept. What is it you have to do?!

We're getting married in the registry office, the appointment in September is the notification of marriage where we have to bring our documents, pay the fee and go through the legal stuff. We have it that early because you only officially get the date set when the fee is paid, which can only be done at the appointment. They wouldn't give the date to anyone else in the meantime though, it's reserved.

When we were booking our venue today the wedding coordinator asked had we our had made our notification appointment yet. Would we need to make it this early? I know you have to give them three months notice so I was thinking of doing it at the beginning of 2019 which would give us plenty of time.

ETA: We are having our ceremony at the venue not the registry office.

Depends on where you are, we got one of the next available appointments in Dublin and that's in September. In other counties you can wait but I'd definitely ring asap to find out. Dublin is incredibly busy.
    Afaik you don't need to give notification in the county you marry though.

Ah i understand! We will (hopefully) be having civil ceremony in our venue so i think we just give the 3 months notice of intention to get married. Are you guys all planning on big weddings or low key or whats the plans!! Im hoping to do it for under 15k thats for roughly 120 guests. Whether it works out at that price is another thing but its figure i have in my head!!

We're having a smallish wedding, 100 guests.

Are you having a civil ceremony with a registrar or a celebrant? If you want a registrar it'd make sense to ring the HSE soon since they're so busy in urban areas.

We're doing very low key, registry office with a dinner afterwards, 15-20 guests. We'll spend the night in a hotel and do probably nothing for a day but staying in and doing married people stuff.
    My family is travelling in and we decided to do it next year because we've plenty to do in the house we bought this year and don't want to be stressed out.

The only thing we're willing to splash money on is a photographer, the biggest regret people have is not having nice pictures of the one important day, I worked with a few photographers in the past and I've seen some awful wedding pictures in my time.

Just checking the HSE website. We need the name of the celebrant when giving the notification so we'll get that sorted first and then make an appointment.

• Advertisement

If you're in doubt you can always call the HSE, they're quite helpful.

I think we're going to go with a hse registrar. Ya see I don't have any venue booked so haven't rang hse yet (being honest I don't even know who to call in hse). I'm meeting venue on Friday so assuming the date we are hoping for is available should I then ring and try to book an appt is it. Sorry this is all very new to me and now I know why I'm engaged 7 yrs lol.

I think we're all in the same boat of trying to figure out how it works.
    The HSE has a list of all registry offices online with their phone numbers.

LirW wrote: »
    I think we're all in the same boat of trying to figure out how it works.
    The HSE has a list of all registry offices online with their phone numbers.

We'll get there in the end!!
    I might give hse ring 2m then and find out some info! Have to get the ball rolling at some stage.

After catching up on this thread, I made my call today and booked in for our Notice appointment and secured our date :) We're having the legal stuff done a few days before our reception/party, so still have to decide on venue, but we should hopefully have that done before the end of this month.

For anyone who has booked their venue, how many places did you look at before deciding? We're Dublin based but don't want to do it in Dublin but we also don't drive, so we've seen two venues so far and don't really want to check out anymore as it's a full day and favours from my parents each time we want to check somewhere out. Would yous advise to check out more than that, or would we be safe enough to go with whichever place we like most?

I should point out I've done extensive research so the two places we've visited are the ones that ticked the most boxes for what we want, they weren't just random places!

love_love wrote: »
    After catching up on this thread, I made my call today and booked in for our Notice appointment and secured our date :) We're having the legal stuff done a few days before our reception/party, so still have to decide on venue, but we should hopefully have that done before the end of this month.

For anyone who has booked their venue, how many places did you look at before deciding? We're Dublin based but don't want to do it in Dublin but we also don't drive, so we've seen two venues so far and don't really want to check out anymore as it's a full day and favours from my parents each time we want to check somewhere out. Would yous advise to check out more than that, or would we be safe enough to go with whichever place we like most?

I should point out I've done extensive research so the two places we've visited are the ones that ticked the most boxes for what we want, they weren't just random places!

Hi love love,

I rang about civil ceremonies etc today to find out some info.
    When you mean secured your date do you mean the date u will get married? I wanted to book our venue 1st before I book civil ceremony date because I'd be afraid of booking civil ceremony and then not bring able to get the date i want in the venue I want.

I've looked at about 2 places don't feel the need to look any more as happy with both places!!

love_love wrote: »

It's my second time planning now, because the day we wanted to pay the deposit I found out I'm pregnant and we both wanted to focus on baby first, then it happened that we bought a house and now we wanna do it.
    We looked at two and decided between the two of them, I looked at like 1 million more online and you get a good picture.
    Go with whatever feels right for you!

I'm going to meet the photographer next Monday, after that's done I won't take care about anything until I have to gather my paperwork.

liz84 wrote: »
    Hi love love,

I rang about civil ceremonies etc today to find out some info.
    When you mean secured your date do you mean the date u will get married? I wanted to book our venue 1st before I book civil ceremony date because I'd be afraid of booking civil ceremony and then not bring able to get the date i want in the venue I want.

I've looked at about 2 places don't feel the need to look any more as happy with both places!!

We're doing the legal stuff in the registry office, which is only available Monday - Friday, and then we're having our party (and a more lovey dovey bells and whistles ceremony thing) on the Saturday. We have two venues holding our Saturday date while we make a decision, and our registry office date is the Thursday before. Hope this helps! I've only recently got my head around civil meaning registry office/HSE/weekdays only and secular means humanist/spiritualist. I had thought civil and secular were interchangeable.

LirW, that's really reassuring, I feel like we could keep looking forever but that'll only drag things out and make a decision more difficult!

I rang the HSE this morning. As we are having a secular ceromony at our venue with a celebrant and not a HSE registrar there is no hurry to make our notificaion appointment. One less thing to worry about for a while. :)

• Advertisement

We looked at four venues. Two were backups and the other two we would have been happy with either one. Getting our preferred date was the problem. I can't believe venues are booked up two years in advance.

Advertisement