Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brigthness of RTE on screen graphic

• 30-07-2020 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭

I understand that the message is important, but is anybody finding the current "stay home" graphic on RTE a little too bright and distracting?

Depending on your TV picture settings, it can appear almost white. Here's a comparison of it with a recording from earlier in the year...

Veamcem.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

It is a bit brighter and has moved at least on sky to the 4:3 safe area.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

It could definitely do with a tweak. I've noticed that they use a different DOG during programmes like PrimeTime/politics programmes, without the messaging?

Is that because they are being generated someplace else, different studios? Also, why no HD anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, they need to increase the opacity.

Maybe there is no need for the "HD" in the graphic because the channel is HD on the main platforms (Sky, Virgin, Saorview etc)?

Actually, separate point but at this stage is there even a need for an SD version (especially on sat)? Seems like they could use that bandwidth for something else like making RTE News Now HD.

Yes SD is needed as a lot of people do not have a HD sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

The old UTV Ireland one was worse.

It was burnt onto my plasma tv for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The dog/bug on both are nearly as bright and big as there promo logos. They remain completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

RTE should not have any DOG on screen same as BBC1 and 2. BBC4 should not have one.

I hate DOG's - another reason why Netflix, Prime Video etc. are great. I won't watch movies on RTE because off a DOG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When Horror channel introduced it's new logo upon being taken over by CBS it was massive and white. Which when watching films that have a lot of dark nights and shadows was terrible. I actually put some black cloth
    over the top part of the screen sometimes! I wrote to them about it and to their credit they made the changes - logo reduced and made translucent. Still annoying of course but we're stuck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

JDxtra wrote: »
    I understand that the message is important, but is anybody finding the current "stay home" graphic on RTE a little too bright and distracting?

Depending on your TV picture settings, it can appear almost white. Here's a comparison of it with a recording from earlier in the year...

Veamcem.jpg

I don’t agree that’s it’s important. It’s a Nanny State message.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I never really paid much attention to these. Is there a reason some channels use them and some dont? I presume it doesnt really cost anything to use so why dont all channels have their logos up. Also what does DOG stand for?
    Dynamic onscreen graphics? just a guess:cool:

• Advertisement

I never really paid much attention to these. Is there a reason some channels use them and some dont? I presume it doesnt really cost anything to use so why dont all channels have their logos up. Also what does DOG stand for?
    Dynamic onscreen graphics? just a guess:cool:

DOG - Digital Onscreen Graphic (dynamic sounds better)

Really part of an analogue ear when newer satellite channels were trying to gain a foot hold, BBC ONE, TWO and C4 all try at some point to add them only the British complained to them, ITV’s is tiny for this reason.

Over here TV3 where the first, TnaG only sometimes AFAIK until the rebranded as TG4. Then RTÉ started at the beginning of programmes using their classifications for 20 seconds and around 2003 they became full time.

BBC did some research on them in 2010 https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/2011/04/digital-on-screen-graphics-res.shtml

From the comments
    How can they find a channel while adverts/trailers are on for example when dogs go missing, which is when most people channel hop and need to know where they are?

I think TV5 (international French channel) only ever did this.

Plenty off Irish I know complained about them. I detest them and this 4 days to go, 5 days to go nonsense is the worst in a DOG.

Australia are terrible for them.

As I say everybody moved to streaming who can afford it so the poorer people are probably suffering the most from DOG's.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Plenty off Irish I know complained about them. I detest them and this 4 days to go, 5 days to go nonsense is the worst in a DOG.

To RTÉ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I notice on Sky One and Sky Atlantic (maybe other Sky channels but not Sports) show the DOG when the programme starts or right after advert breaks, but then it disappears after a minute or two. That's not too bad.

I don't mind them too much but why do we need then when we can press a button on the control and see what channel we are on. I remember when MTV used to show the name of the program on the screen and how long it was on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

byte wrote: »
    I notice on Sky One and Sky Atlantic (maybe other Sky channels but not Sports) show the DOG when the programme starts or right after advert breaks, but then it disappears after a minute or two. That's not too bad.

All of the Sky basic tier channels (except Pick and Challenge) do this, except during some live programming. My recollection is that the Sky Cinema channels don’t have DOGs at all except for during the very small amount of non-feature film programmes they show.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

icdg wrote: »
    All of the Sky basic tier channels (except Pick and Challenge) do this, except during some live programming. My recollection is that the Sky Cinema channels don’t have DOGs at all except for during the very small amount of non-feature film programmes they show.
    Yeah, when I had Sky Movies for a short while on NowTV at least, there was no DOG present for Sky Movies, and rightly so. You have me wondering now though, did Sky Movies (in all their various guises and rebrand) ever have a permanent DOG for full films? I can't remember if there was or not, perhaps in analogue days?

Sky Movies never had a permanent DOG. Consumers simply would not put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Sky Movies never had a permanent DOG. Consumers simply would not put up with it.

True for Britain and Ireland. A prominent DOG appears for Sky Cinema in Germany and is very distracting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JDxtra wrote: »
    Yes, they need to increase the opacity.

Maybe there is no need for the "HD" in the graphic because the channel is HD on the main platforms (Sky, Virgin, Saorview etc)?

Actually, separate point but at this stage is there even a need for an SD version (especially on sat)? Seems like they could use that bandwidth for something else like making RTE News Now HD.

In the digital era there isn't any need for a DOG is there ? it's not like you are tuning a dial.

Bandwidth ?

2RN, who are a subsidiary of RTE, have to pay for all the electricity except for what VirginMedia use, and they use as little as they can get away with because it's cheaper and it just might encourage people to subscribe.

• Advertisement

Yes, of course. Much better if it didn't exist at all or faded out after a few seconds like on some Sky channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Why is it there?

Cause marketing loves it. How do you have brand awareness for 48 minutes an hour? Put a bug on the screen.

I personally hate them. Remember the yellow and black Setanta sports ones? That was mostly to hide the sky logo :pac:

Even tho Sky has got rid of them they have started putting up what's coming next by squishing the picture and that's a piss-take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

It wouldn't be as bad if it was 16:9 safe and the brightness toned down. Also, do we really need "Stay Safe" under the logo. As if we are only going to stay safe because a TV channel told us we should, otherwise we'd go flippin' mental out there and spread as much infection as we could. We also don't need HD in the logo so if it helps make it smaller then keep it without the HD I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

The only people who still watch RTE are old enough that their eyesight is starting to fail so it does make sense.

PFMC84 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be as bad if it was 16:9 safe and the brightness toned down. Also, do we really need "Stay Safe" under the logo. As if we are only going to stay safe because a TV channel told us we should, otherwise we'd go flippin' mental out there and spread as much infection as we could. We also don't need HD in the logo so if it helps make it smaller then keep it without the HD I say.

I've asked RTE if they would consider shifting it more to the top right and reducing the brightness, even showed them a current and proposed picture. No doubt they won't understand and my email will be filed under "does not compute".

You're assuming they'll even read it. I've contacted RTÉ on a few occasions on several e-mail addresses and have never received a reply from them. I doubt you will either.

Also, RTÉ's logo is horribly positioned in comparison to VM1/2/3 who have it tucked away up in the top corner properly, though theirs could do with being a touch dimmer and smaller as well...

PFMC84 wrote: »
    You're assuming they'll even read it. I've contacted RTÉ on a few occasions on several e-mail addresses and have never received a reply from them. I doubt you will either.

Also, RTÉ's logo is horribly positioned in comparison to VM1/2/3 who have it tucked away up in the top corner properly, though theirs could do with being a touch dimmer and smaller as well...

RTÉ have no set position their plus one channels are in a different position & Prime Times one is lighter & smaller with no public service message.

Why do they even have different settings depending on the programme? That takes effort to arrange instead of just having one small, dim logo in the corner that can be left on all the time. A lot less fuss, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Some shows have different graphics or more interviews so feel that the bug gets in the way more often and demand that it moves.

Prime time is the flagship show so has a bit more sway.

Its all automated in the scheduling software so its not that hard to set up.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »
    Some shows have different graphics or more interviews so feel that the bug gets in the way more often and demand that it moves.

Prime time is the flagship show so has a bit more sway.

Its all automated in the scheduling software so its not that hard to set up.

The news channel during press briefing is the lightest of all of them.

Advertisement