Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disney to close channels in Ireland and the UK

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No surprise really, Disney can eliminate the middleman and sell the content directly on Disney+.

Personally I think having a linear channel still is of benefit from a “shop window” point of view but obviously Disney have weighed it up and decided they’d rather save the carriage/broadcasting costs and get the increased subs.

Interestingly the channels aimed at adults, Fox and National Geographic, will remain.

Sky would really want to rethink the (relatively recent) wisdom of having a separate kids pack now for what is a handful of Nickelodeon and Warner kids channels at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is very much a theme, have Warners/HBO made any noises about doing likewise for the UK market? Sky Atlantic is massively reliant on their titles for "prestige" drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

And Sky Cinema Disney may close too

@icdg, you're right regarding the Kids pack on Sky. No doubt they'll have to merge it with one of the basic packs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

This is very much a theme, have Warners/HBO made any noises about doing likewise for the UK market? Sky Atlantic is massively reliant on their titles for "prestige" drama.

Sky are in the 2nd year of a 5 year extension to their HBO deal so a bit to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Don’t think for kids broadcast TV is much use as window dressing, they can advertise on you tube.

Other then Marvel, nat geographic & Star Wars Disney+ isn’t great for adults, and some of the kids programmes are fairly standard.

Disney + will be on STBs, games consoles and Smart TVs.

• Advertisement

The Simpsons archive is worth its weight in gold for some - particularly the classic 1990s episodes that you won’t see so much on Sky these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Soon enough most media companies will have their own streaming services. Satellite broadcasting is old hat. Doesn't matter how they rebrand or jiggle with it, streaming is the new popular guy in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is happening in about 30mins.

Kids went to bed very sad tonight, the Disney channels have been on in this house for over a decade.

Tomorrow Sky gets cancelled for good and glory.
    It's FTA, and streaming services from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Still charging €8 a month for the children's channels or maybe they have not update their website but Knowing sky it will still be €8. When you think of the channels you think of cartoon network, Disney and Nick a lot of the rest a no good/free

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

This annoys me, they are still on across Europe, Scandinavia Viasat, Canal Digital and Movistar all still have them and they charge a quarter of the price Sky do, Sky seems to loose channels all too easy....

• Advertisement

And now Fox is closing on the 30th June with its programmes moving to Star which is included with Disney+

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2408769/fox-channel-closing-in-june

Seems only thing keeping Nat Geo alive is it’s carriage agreeements which might have a bit to run, and it’s ultimately earmarked for the chop too.

With Discovery+ also having hit the market the time may come when basic cable packages are little more than terrestrial channels and Sky One and it’s sisters. Unfortunately I’m not sure this “disaggregation” of content will suit the customer. Instead of paying one big cable tv fee you’ll be paying for maybe up to ten separate streaming services. (Think I’m exaggerating? There’s already Netflix, Prime, Discovery+, and Disney+. Paramount+ will probably happen soon and the Viacom content will probably all move over there. HBO Max probably won’t happen till 2025 but what betting that the Warner/Discovery combination will want in too?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

icdg wrote: »
    Seems only thing keeping Nat Geo alive is it’s carriage agreeements which might have a bit to run, and it’s ultimately earmarked for the chop too.

With Discovery+ also having hit the market the time may come when basic cable packages are little more than terrestrial channels and Sky One and it’s sisters. Unfortunately I’m not sure this “disaggregation” of content will suit the customer. Instead of paying one big cable tv fee you’ll be paying for maybe up to ten separate streaming services. (Think I’m exaggerating? There’s already Netflix, Prime, Discovery+, and Disney+. Paramount+ will probably happen soon and the Viacom content will probably all move over there. HBO Max probably won’t happen till 2025 but what betting that the Warner/Discovery combination will want in too?)

I think you are probably right on the number of services (and you missed AppleTV+ which is already here too) but not sure a lot of people will take all 10.

I would anticipate myself sticking with 3/4 or so core services and maybe subscribing to others for a month at a time to binge other series I want to see.

Of course once they are even more established and cable is largely gone its possible streaming services will drop the no contract monthly model to discourage this.

I keep forgetting about Apple TV+, even though I actually have it, largely because nobody is paying for it. (A bullet Apple will sometime have to bite, and perhaps evaluate whether this is a game they want to be in. Oh but watch Mythic Quest first. It’s fantastic and really doesn’t deserve to be buried away).

On the churn aspect this is the very reason both Disney+ and Apple TV+ have moved back to the old weekly release model instead of Netflix’s drop at one and binge model. Also Disney+ are very clever on having a Marvel or Star Wars show every couple of months to keep interest alive.

Edit: I also didn’t mention Britbox, some form of which under some name will probably eventually come to Ireland. Or Now, which probably represents an early form of what Sky may evolve into in the future (SkyX?). That’s seven VOD services already!

icdg wrote: »
    Seems only thing keeping Nat Geo alive is it’s carriage agreeements which might have a bit to run, and it’s ultimately earmarked for the chop too

According to some posters on Digital Spy, National Geographic and Nat Geo Wild will close too, but not until their contracts end which is at the end of this year with all that programming moving to Disney+

Advertisement