Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ2 + 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Elmo wrote: »
    Is it on Virgin Media?

Not that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

lertsnim wrote: »
    Not that I can see.

So lets get this right the Government consulted with both VM and Sky and neither have agreed carriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Still only showing test card and beeb on Saorsat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Apparently now that RTE+1 is 24 hours we can see Reeling in the Years on RTE+1

some one explain why RTÉ2 +1 isn't 24 hours? Is there any good reason for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

some one explain why RT +1 isn't 24 hours? Is there any good reason for this?
    I know, it's crazy. The only reason I can think of is that maybe they thought they would not get permission for it if it was 24 hours from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

on e vision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I presume it’s a cost thing as well With the +1 channel, I believe it needs to be manned and the tapes changed to replay what was just broadcast. Would it be viable for 24x7? I don’t know. Maybe they could have the same person do it for RTÉ 1 and 2

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

Maz2016 wrote: »

I presume it’s a cost thing as well With the +1 channel, I believe it needs to be manned and the tapes changed to replay what was just broadcast. Would it be viable for 24x7? I don’t know. Maybe they could have the same person do it for RTÉ 1 and 2

Why would it need to be manned. There is definitely an automated system there

Maz2016 wrote: »

Surely it is the RTE 2 feed delayed by an hour with a different DOG in the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

kooga wrote: »
    on e vision

What channel number on eir Vision?

It's not listed on https://www.eir.ie/tv/channels/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Also, the channel started yesterday at midday instead of 7pm. Same today. Then all next week, and the weekend, it starts at 7pm again. So what was the exceptional reason for it starting at midday this weekend?

RTÉ 2+1 not being 24 hours is madness, they are running a promo loop in the downtime which is more than RTÉ ONE+1 was given, so the video feed is running 24/7 they are just not using it to show programmes. It beggars belief.

Isn't it supposed to start at 12 on the weekends?

lertsnim wrote: »
    Isn't it supposed to start at 12 on the weekends?

Yes

….RTE+1 will broadcast 19:00-c02:00 and broadcast from 12pm to c02:00am on Saturday and Sunday

Also, RT2+1 will be allowed to extend its broadcast hours as required to broadcast special events such as the Olympics, Football tournaments etc.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/broadcasting-media/funding-of-public-service-broadcasting/Pages/Consents-for-New-Services.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

What channel number on eir Vision?

It's not listed on https://www.eir.ie/tv/channels/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Also, the channel started yesterday at midday instead of 7pm. Same today. Then all next week, and the weekend, it starts at 7pm again

For whatever reason, both of the +1s weekend EPG entries only gets updated on Thursday/Friday.

As of now the EPG shows programs starting at 7pm next weekend when actual start time is midday for 2+1 and 1+1 is 24 hour.

On early today at 630pm so that Neighbours could be shown on the +1 service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

icdg wrote: »
    Just on the schedule change, I’m getting a chance to look at it now for the first time and it’s quite frankly bizarre. The TRTE programming will now be running while it’s target audience is still at school or on their way home. The long term plan may be to kill off TRTE on the basis that this cohort is watching Nickelodeon and Disney (or these days online services) anyway, but that’s effectively the same mistake the BBC has realised all too late with BBC Three, that leaving a cohort of future license payers with no PSB programming isn’t good for retaining the license fee in the long run.

Ellen gone to 4pm next week on RTE2, with The Simpsons moving to 5pm. Possible sign that the experiment is failing. So now they will have Ellen in between Shaun The Sheep and The Simpson's. Try make sense of that.

Any sign of a Saorsat launch?

It's just over a month since it launched on Saorview

Any sign of a Saorsat launch?

It's just over a month since it launched on Saorview

Sorry Macker, I forgot to post, it's on Saorsat the last week or so

• Advertisement

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Sorry Macker, I forgot to post, it's on Saorsat the last week or so

I presume on channel 12?

I presume on channel 12?

Yes, Channel 12

RTE1+1 off air during the clock change last night from 0045 til 0600

I see that the screen during such breaks now says "RTE+1 starts later today"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

There's a small piece in the Sunday Indo's business section today titled "Saorview pricing model is restricting range of TV channels, says TG4"

TG4 in a submission to the Dept's consultation on RTÉ's request to extend its +1 channels, was critical of the tariff model used as it is uneconomic to launch +1 channels. The small gain to revenue by launching these channels is outstripped by the tariff cost.

The information was sought by the journalist thru an FOI to the Dept last month.

Because of RTÉ using extra mux bitrate there will be a saving of €100,000 and €300,000 per annum in multiplexing charges to TG4/Virgin Media respectively.

TG4 want to launch a +1 channel on Saorview? How about the HD channel first.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think the point may have been slightly missed there. It’s not that TG4 desperately want to launch a +1 channel but have been twarted by the rate card. It’s more that the rate card makes launching such channels uneconomic for anyone who isn’t RTE (who are after all effectively paying themselves).

The rate card is meant to make access to Saorview fair, but has effectively made access to the platform a high cost for anyone who isn’t RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭political analyst

icdg wrote: »
    I think the point may have been slightly missed there. It’s not that TG4 desperately want to launch a +1 channel but have been twarted by the rate card. It’s more that the rate card makes launching such channels uneconomic for anyone who isn’t RTE (who are after all effectively paying themselves).

The rate card is meant to make access to Saorview fair, but has effectively made access to the platform a high cost for anyone who isn’t RTE.

One would've thought that TG4, given its status as an Irish national public broadcaster that has news and sports coverage, documentaries and drama in the Irish language, would have been given a dispensation with regard to terrestrial carriage costs, along the lines of Channel 4 in the UK.

One would've thought that TG4, given its status as an Irish national public broadcaster that has news and sports coverage, documentaries and drama in the Irish language, would have been given a dispensation with regard to terrestrial carriage costs, along the lines of Channel 4 in the UK.

What dispensation are Channel 4 getting? I can't see C4 getting any special treatment over either ITV or Channel 5.

Oireachtas already gets a dispensation, sure let all channels go free on Saorview. I am sure we're all sick of RTÉ moaning about their lack of money but lets face it they shouldn't be expected to pay for carriage for other channels, they already provide TG4 with 7.5m worth of TV programmes a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What dispensation are Channel 4 getting? I can't see C4 getting any special treatment over either ITV or Channel 5.

Channel 4 get free carriage on terrestrial, ITV don't...

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Channel 4 get free carriage on terrestrial, ITV don't...

Interesting, on page 148 they show transmitter costs at 97million. https://annualreport.channel4.com/downloads/28182_Channel4_AR17_A_Full.pdf

I know that will include Satellite and other platforms.

Advertisement