Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir and Virgin Media Sport - cross supply deal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not this year it isn’t. And even when it wasn’t this year, it was par for the course for VM Sport outside of international football windows.

Eir don’t have one drop of live sport this weekend either, though that’s partially down to it being a Heineken Champions Cup weekend. The Pro, er, 14 is back next weekend.

Really, there isn’t enough sports organisations willing to do ROI-only deals for both these channels to operate as separate premium services. (And some of those who are have done deals with RTE or TG4 meaning neither of them have the rights). But hey, a large chunk of their viewership are getting them for “free”.

Neither of these companies are really in the premium sports business. It is a side to their BB business. VM in particular are always one deal loss (the UEFA deal, which is entering its last season) from exiting the sports channel market entirely.

Only glitter of hope I can see is that eir still haven’t put the request in to Sky to rename VM Sport back to eir Sport 2 which means there might be some sort of talking still going on. (they’ve removed the VM Sport listings from the eir TV app though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Fingers x they sort out out. The pro 14 is back next weekend so at least all the games will be on. Although two of those games will be fta across s4c and tg4 so very hard to justify the eir sub.

On a side if you have access to premier sport in ni or uk it’s available on an annual sub for £80 - but you will not get Saturday premier ship games. Although last year the offer was £49

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Any word on this being sorted any time soon?

No.

Though I notice the Sky EPG, while the channel name still shows “Virgin Sport HD”, now has correct programme listings for eir Sport 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

icdg wrote: »
    No.

Though I notice the Sky EPG, while the channel name still shows “Virgin Sport HD”, now has correct programme listings for eir Sport 2.

Virgin Sport HD was relabelled eir Sport 2 HD earlier today

The "Pub" version on Sky is stil carrying the VM Sport listings, that version hasn't updated that data yet

• Advertisement

That I fear is the end of any hopes it will be sorted out. Really isn’t enough ROI only rights for these two to go round, but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

i wonder if they'll attempt to get champions league back in the eir sports pack through other routes ? id imagine they will lose customers without it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Video wrote: »
    i wonder if they'll attempt to get champions league back in the eir sports pack through other routes ? id imagine they will lose customers without it

Eir dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

To be fair, they did first try to resolve it via Eir Customer Support, but couldn't get through...

• Advertisement

As proceedings have now issued, we might leave any commentary on this issue until the proceedings are settled or judgement is handed down

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/1224/1186308-munster-v-leinster-called-off/

I know its not Eirs fault but 2020 has been a farce for Eir Sport viewers.

There has been more live sport on Rte than Eir sport which is pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Does anyone actually pay for eir sports as a stand-alone offering?

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Does anyone actually pay for eir sports as a stand-alone offering?

Can you do that? I thought it was exclusive to broadband or phone customers.

Yes there would have been a sizeable base of satellite standalone customers inherited from Setanta Sports but it’s pricey at €29.99 pm (unless you take the annual sub at €149 pa which is a bit better value - actually it’s about 60% cheaper!).

You can also get eir Sport 1 (only) included in Vodafone TV subscriptions and (with a sizeable amount of programmes blocked out) in Premier Sports subscriptions in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Yes there would have been a sizeable base of satellite standalone customers inherited from Setanta Sports but it’s pricey at €29.99 pm (unless you take the annual sub at €149 pa which is a bit better value - actually it’s about 60% cheaper!).

You can also get eir Sport 1 (only) included in Vodafone TV subscriptions and (with a sizeable amount of programmes blocked out) in Premier Sports subscriptions in Northern Ireland.

€29.99 pm!! :eek:

Is it even worth a 5er per month?

Pro14 and what else?

Pro14 and what else?

The FA Cup (3pms, BBC games, and certain other non-U.K TV. fixtures), the League of Ireland, GAA Allianz Leagues (Saturday games), the Masters golf, Roland Garros and Wimbledon tennis.

And lots and lots of repeats. Lots of repeats. So many that they have a brand for them (“eir Sport Gold”).

The FA Cup (3pms, BBC games, and certain other non-U.K TV. fixtures), the League of Ireland, GAA Allianz Leagues (Saturday games), the Masters golf, Roland Garros and Wimbledon tennis.

And lots and lots of repeats. Lots of repeats. So many that they have a brand for them (“eir Sport Gold”).

Speaking of the FA Cup will Eir be able to show more Fa Cup Matches?

https://www.live-footballontv.com/live-fa-cup-football-on-tv.html

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pro14 and what else?

It used to be that 29.99 a month got you Eir Sport plus all of BT Sport. Then all the BT Sport bits went, but they kept the same price.

It's true value is 10-15 a month max.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Stewball

awec wrote: »
    It's true value is 10-15 a month max.

It's barely worth a fiver a month.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stewball wrote: »
    It's barely worth a fiver a month.

I'd argue if you don't like rugby then it's totally worthless.

Premier Sports is only £9.99 a month in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It was designed to get people to sign up to their IPTV offering. By taking over setanta, they had to offer it a stand-alone but (and I know people who’d know) absolutely no one has subscribed at 30 a month since launch. They thought people who’d be interested would think ‘well I might as well switch to broadband and tv with eir if I’d pay XX for their sport’

Virgin tried to use their sport channels in the same way obviously. On its own it’s not enough to subscribe but it might tempt you to their overall package

What both did was overestimate how much people are willing to change providers based on sport and underestimate how dominant sky sports is with the people who are willing to spend to watch sport

If the VM and Eir sports rights were combined, they still wouldn’t have enough to charge €15 a month

There will be some who take it. I took it for years when I was with Virgin, from when it was Setanta Sports. In those days of course it was much between value as it was cheaper but also included six channels instead of 2-3 and not so many repeats. For example if you live an apartment block where there is a deal between the developers/management company with Virgin, and you are a massive club rugby fan, what other way do you have to follow your team in the Pro14 (First person suggesting “piracy” gets a 48 hour ban). Yes there are some games on TG4 but a heavy Connacht focus.

I’d argue the aim was (and is) to get people to sign up to their broadband rather than IPTV offering. They wouldn’t offer it for free to BB only customers if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’d argue the aim was (and is) to get people to sign up to their broadband rather than IPTV offering. They wouldn’t offer it for free to BB only customers if that was the case.

Yeah sorry, I meant more that when the IPTV a was introduced, the sports channel was the biggest calling card. But IPTV itself was (and is) to get people onto their broadband

All companies want you to take their tv/broadband/phone bundle now of course

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/february-deadline-for-irish-broadcasters-interested-in-uefa-club-competition-rights/?registered_metered=1

Mod: Sorry, for copyright reasons I have to cut the article. The policy is that you post a link and a summary. If the article is paywalled that’s not an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mrunsure

Is FreeSports still available on eir?

Yes. Only Irish-operated platform carrying it on their EPG at the moment. It was on the Sky EPG for a while but bumped for LaLigaTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

mikeym wrote: »
    https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/february-deadline-for-irish-broadcasters-interested-in-uefa-club-competition-rights/?registered_metered=1

Mod: Sorry, for copyright reasons I have to cut the article. The policy is that you post a link and a summary. If the article is paywalled that’s not an excuse.

I did see that a while back (but didnt want to register to view it). will be interesting to see if rte are able to put up a good bid given the financial troubles.

• Advertisement

Interestingly enough the legal action between eir and Virgin (over the unrelated matter of the carriage of VMTV channels on eir TV) has been settled and the proceedings struck out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement