Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

clouds beginning to block out the sun now as seems to happen every day this summer, temp only 17c so below average and the cold wind doesn't help either ....... roll on Sept !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

acequion wrote: »
    John.Icy wrote: »
    This forum has a widespread preference for lower temperatures than high-20s during Summer. There is only a handful on here who don't find high temperatures oppressive. Most certainly there isn't widespread talk of needing jackets etc in 20 degree weather! No idea where you've got that from.

No there are loads on here,including myself,who do love high temperatures. And quite a few of us often complaining that we find it chilly and need heat, though from an Irish perspective it might be quite warm.

The problem is that people travel so much nowadays and get used to and want roasting weather in summer and feel dissatisfied when home. But as several posters point out, we have to be realistic in Ireland and be very happy if it's dry and pleasant. Anything more is a bonus.
    Oh I am a heat lover too. Hotter the better. 18-20 degrees is mild stuff to me. I've just found over the years that we are the minority in being very comfortable with 27+ degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Reasonable morning but bloody cloud increasing off the Irish Sea in Dublin as per usual.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

beautiful day here in Meath, barely a cloud in the sky, feeling fairly warm too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

22.4C here near Tralee, can see that cloud coming in off the Irish sea sryanbuen.

91zO2eU.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Sorry to put this here but is anyone else after getting stuck on the horrible touch boards site? The legacy button no longer works and just reloads the horrible touch site. Can't even find a button to get back to the official webpage!

Sunny here in S.Kildare to stay on topic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

John.Icy wrote: »
    Sorry to put this here but is anyone else after getting stuck on the horrible touch boards site? The legacy button no longer works and just reloads the horrible touch site. Can't even find a button to get back to the official webpage!

Sunny here in S.Kildare to stay on topic :D

Clear cookies should fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    Beautiful day

Certainly is,stunning day in Arklow
    May go straight to this places fridge for some ice bergs :D

No Irish sea cloud here,but there is a lovely sea breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Stunning in West Clare, 22.1°c now and warming.

• Advertisement

22.4C here near Tralee, can see that cloud coming in off the Irish sea sryanbuen.

Yep, mostly cloudy now and feels almost chilly! :(

EDIT: Oh would ya look at that... completely overcast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

clouding over but what a day! magnificent...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dublin is having a straight up crap summer really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

lawred2 wrote: »

Just 45 mins down the road,the scene in my Garden just now in Arklow, no Visa required :D

d31cfcdc42ec78659ce1de4b7e21be20.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This seems ro be turning out to be a fairly middling Irish summer. May was pretty poor - cool and wet but from my experience a stellar May is often followed by a washout of a June and July.

June was very mixed - some great days and some poor ones. July is somewhat better but it's no repeat of last year's heatwave.

Any predictions for August?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

It's the lack of sun. I've lost count of the number of days when sun was forecast by ME only for it to be cloudy and dull most of the day.

Yet again today we've high pressure slap bang over us and yet it's cloudy!

I'm sure the sun will come out again in the evening like it does most days but it would make you wonder what synoptic conditions do we need for a decent day.

IMO we often have better weather, in Dublin at least, when low pressure is over us. There might be rain but at least there's good sun between the showers.

High pressure these days just leads to cloud or a stiff sea breeze.

compsys wrote: »
    It's the lack of sun. I've lost count of the number of days when sun was forecast by ME only for it to be cloudy and dull most of the day.

Yet again today we've high pressure slap bang over us and yet it's cloudy!

I'm sure the sun will come out again in the evening like it does most days but it would make you wonder what synoptic conditions do we need for a decent day.

IMO we often have better weather, in Dublin at least, when low pressure is over us. There might be rain but at least there's good sun between the showers.

High pressure these days just leads to cloud or a stiff sea breeze.
    I love how ME don't mention the east at all for cloud in their latest tweet.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1150359754562330624

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am in Dublin and have had far worse summers . July has been dry at least and some fine bright days . Honestly wouldn’t call it crap , though I have seen better

Best and worst summers at Dublin Airport using summer index.

1995 252
    1976 242
    1975 241
    2006 237
    1959 236
    2018 230
    1989 228
    1969 224
    1984 224
    1983 223

1958 127
    2008 140
    1986 144
    2007 146
    1985 146
    2012 148
    2019 (up to July 13th) 155
    1978 159
    1946 162
    1980 162

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely day in West cork! Warm and no breeze even by the sea! First BBQ of the season :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

warm and mostly sunny in Dunshaughlin, clouds have bubbled up more in the past hour, temperature currently 19C. Might nudge 20C later if the sun holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Finally!

20190714-150041.jpg

Still some cloud about but first real sunshine in over a week so I'll take it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Partly cloudy here in Glasnevin but there's some sunshine too. The temperature's struggling to reach 20. It's currently 19.9C which is the highest it's reached. It's like 20 is a magic number it can't touch. I don't know why people are complaining about this summer. At least since the start of July it hasn't been too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Well deserved Donegal storm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

One of the best days of the summer in East Cork, glorious.

6005-E12-F-0720-4-BE5-B4-AE-A45070-E36-B10.jpg

The cloud cleared to pageantry and enough gentle breeze to waft midges and flies away, so have been sitting out by the flower garden knitting with my biggest cat on my lap purring..

Life is lovely. And what matter the weather anyways. rain or sun,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's now mostly sunny here in Glasnevin with just a few small clouds passing and the temperature's passed the 20 mark at last. It's now reached a high of 21.8C. I think I may have to put on shorts now.

Graces7 wrote: »
    The cloud cleared to pageantry and enough gentle breeze to waft midges and flies away, so have been sitting out by the flower garden knitting with my biggest cat on my lap purring..

Life is lovely. And what matter the weather anyways. rain or sun,

where did that thumbs up come from!

MidMan25 wrote: »
    One of the best days of the summer in East Cork, glorious.

6005-E12-F-0720-4-BE5-B4-AE-A45070-E36-B10.jpg

This photo .. out here they cut the hay by hand,,, the open fields along the ocean north just now.. and the calves are out on the adjoining fields today. That is how good the weather is.. will try to get photos early tomorrow. a fine sight, the hand cut hay..... west mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

Think it’s safe to say that today is one of the best of summer 2019, enjoying a sun drenched northeast here as is the entire country am sure :)

Advertisement