Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

London Fire and Aftermath RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Holy ****, that looks bad

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

tiger55 wrote: »
    What could possibly be in a stairwell to cause such a fire?

Easy way for fire to have a clear run.

Badly built and poor firewall if any.

Now I could be mistaken but have worked in many office style buildings similar doing electrical work and just looks like that's where the straight lines up of the fire are.

Cable, stairwell furnishings, timber and plastics. Many things for a fire to take hold.
    I have lived in high flats.  They are just concrete in the stairwells  Not even a carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have lived in high flats.  They are just concrete in the stairwells  Not even a carpet.

I understand that but there will be parts that will catch fire and also with heat and pure force flames will jump and get a huge amount of oxygen as fuel to it in such a place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks to me like the tower was externally insulated and it's the external insulation that's on fire.

Look like that might be how it spread - supposedly one side was on fire at the beginning.

But on the other hand, some of the upper floors look gutted, so it got inside. You'd wonder if it has been recently refurbished what the internal fire suppression was like in the upper floors.

long_b wrote: »
    That's what a guy who was in there said in an interview on BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625

Looks absolutely horrendous

That eye-witness gave a great but horrifying account of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

Horrible. The damage looks extensive.

Apparently residents were already concerned about the risk of fire at the building:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/grenfell-tower-still-a-fire-risk/

I hope someone is charged then. Building safety standards have to be looked into.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Horrible. The damage looks extensive.

I hope someone is charged then. Building safety standards have to be looked into.

We don't know the outcome yet it could have been deliberately started.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

We don't know the outcome yet it could have been deliberately started.
    That wouldn't change the fact that the big issue here is why it spread to consume the entire building. Building standards are suppose to prevent this, and their operation doesn't depend on whether a fire is started by accident or deliberately.

I have lived in high flats. They are just concrete in the stairwells Not even a carpet.
    They tend to be older flats. It's more expensive. But it acts as a cheap fire protectant. The thing is the opposite is true in winter....as in it gets VERY cold. So people freeze or have fire risk. You have to insulate a tower block to be able to heat it properly.

In the old flats even with the heat on people would die sometimes of cold.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/heating-was-working-in-flat-where-woman-died-of-cold-says-council-1.581608

This woman died of hypothermia...the heating was working though ..so people didn't get it ..but it's the old style block of flats extensive concrete ..which has one good thing it's a fire protectant ..

The bad side is it will make a block of flats freezing even when heated ...so they started to use insulation or diff design and material....some i guess might be more flammable.

• Advertisement

Hey Persephone you might need to fix that video embed.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    That wouldn't change the fact that the big issue here is why it spread to consume the entire building. Building standards are suppose to prevent this, and their operation doesn't depend on whether a fire is started by accident or deliberately.
    When you get buildings on mass like that and stuff people into them that is what happens ..the best fire protectant is space.

Peregrinus wrote: »

I don't think building standards are meant to prevent fire caused by arson. It would seem to me to be an impossibly high standard. I can't think of any residence that wouldn't burn if effort and thought was put into it.

Hey Persephone you might need to fix that video embed.
    Fixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Awfully intense fire it looked like, not many above the floor it started on will have escaped that. Fire service on a beaten docket from the start there.

I don't think building standards are meant to prevent fire caused by arson. It would seem to me to be an impossibly high standard. I can't think of any residence that wouldn't burn if effort and thought was put into it.
    No but they should make it as easy to escape from as a house. And if they can't restrict how tall they can be.

No, buildings standards can't prevent arson. But they can retard the spread of fire, and the way in which fire spreads doesn't really depend on whether it was started accidentally or deliberately.

In a residential tower block like this, fires will start - electrical fires, kitchen fires, wastepaper basket fires, whatever. You can add possible arson to that list, but it doesn't really change the picture. Arson or no arson, there will be fires and the building needs to be designed, built and operated with this in mind. And if it is designed and built that way, then a fire should not spread through 24 floors and consume the entire building. Even a fire which is the result of arson.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If it was the external insulation on fire, perhaps it looks worse than in it is and inside it isn't so bad?

It's awful ..not only for those dead. The trauma. And people who lost loved ones and their homes and everything they own. I hope people help out!

Everyone in that building has lost their home they can never go back...and with smoke inhalation etc ...people lost family friends neighbors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

A guy who lived in the building said his next door neighbour's fridge exploded.

This was apparently on the 5th floor ,others seem to be mentioning the fire starting on the second floor.

It seems this building had three floors added recently , so if you previously lived on floor 2 it would now be floor 5. It may be the reason for conflicting reports of where the fire started.

Quazzie wrote: »
    If it was the external insulation on fire, perhaps it looks worse than in it is and inside it isn't so bad?
    The daylight photographs are showing a building that appears to be completely gutted, and there are fears that it is about to collapse. So, yes, it's bad.

It's not likely that many people who remained in the building could have survived. The best we can hope for is that most of the residents got out before the escape routes became unbreathable.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Whenever I see something like this, I always can't help but think was it someone experimenting with something that went wrong. Home made drugs, explosives, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Reminds me of the twin towers.

The Guardian has confirmed that there has been a number of fatalities, RIP to all concerned.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-major-fire-london-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Lucy8080 wrote:
    It seems this building had three floors added recently , so if you previously lived on floor 2 it would now be floor 5. It may be the reason for conflicting reports of where the fire started.

How does that work? They build from the bottom up now in tower builds? Would it not be easier to build on top of the top floor. Level 2 would still be level 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Very reminiscent of twin towers. Has anyone mentioned terrorism? Dont shoot me! Was just my initial reaction when I woke to that news. Though thats my reaction to everything these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Lucy8080 wrote: »

How does that work?? Was there a vacant space in the first three floors like a shopping centre that closed and converted to three floors of apartments or something? Because the only way I can think of adding floors to a building is by building on top of the existing structure?

• Advertisement

Very reminiscent of twin towers. Has anyone mentioned terrorism? Dont shoot me! Was just my initial reaction when I woke to that news. Though thats my reaction to everything these days
    No. I haven't heard that. I imagine it will take a while to find out exactly what happened. Obv it's tragic whatever. I hope it isn't terrorism though....as it means there could be more in future. Obv it's bad no matter what.

You just made me think Canary Wharf.

Advertisement