Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Fire and Aftermath RIP

• 14-06-2017 3:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

London Fire tonite on the news RIP. RIP London Fire Victims

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Looks awful. Hope everyone got out ok. It's a 24 storey tower block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Some saying building may collapse.

Screen_Shot_2017-06-14_at_03.18.14.png
    This image was on a news site, but originated on twitter so they may own the copyright

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

24 stories, 120 flats apparently. 200 fire fighters or more currently trying to tackle it. seems the whole block is alight. very very serious incident.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Omg SKY news just showed it up close. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

The pictures on Sky news now are terrifying. Fires scare the sh*t out of me. God help anyone stuck in there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Forty fire engines, terrifying stuff.

Apparently residents were already concerned about the risk of fire at the building:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/grenfell-tower-still-a-fire-risk/

It'll be a miracle if everyone's got out of that alive. Can but hope. Oh god. RT (not RTÉ) news just headlined that people are trapped. Hope that's not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Early reports indicating 2 people being treated for smoke inhalation.

Hopefully those reports hold up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I hope the situation mentioned in the wordpress post was rectified and there was more than one entrance/exit

Witness on sky now saying fire started on the lower floors and spread upwards. A catastrophe.

Met Police tweet - Residents continue to be evacuated from the tower block fire in #NorthKensington. A number of people being treated for a range of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Guy on sky now saying fire started on the lower floors and spread upwards. A catastrophe.

Lucky that they got an expert on to explain how fire usually works!

It's terrifying. I'd be amazed if a lot of poor people haven't perished in that :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I hope the situation mentioned in the wordpress post was rectified and there was more than one entrance/exit

Reports are the fire-service mounted an heroic, measured evacuation, instructing people to stay low on the descent and cover their mouths. Seems standard obviously but keeping people calm is important also.

It would seem unlikely nobody died though from the videos going around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I've attended fires in the past, and this one looks so unusual.

Any F&R people around to take a guess at what we're looking at?

-Shield.

Lucky that they got an expert on to explain how fire usually works!
    (

The point is that it started on the lower floors of the building - presumably cutting off escape routes for people in floors above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Started on 2nd floor according to Sky news

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Shield wrote: »

-Shield.

Whats unusual

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Current advice from police: put a wet rag over your face and rescue yourself. Don't wait around to be saved. Wow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Watching it on Sky News now. That fire is seriously intense - I hope as many residents as possible can be safely evacuated. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This looks highly suspicious to me. Very large Muslim community in that area and in that tower block. I hope I'm wrong and it's not a retributive attack on the Muslim community.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

AllForIt wrote: »
    This looks highly suspicious to me. Very large Muslim community in that area and in that tower block. I hope I'm wrong and it's not a retributive attack on the Muslim community.

Here we go

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Current advice from police: put a wet rag over your face and rescue yourself. Don't wait around to be saved. Wow.
    Not a bad idea in fairness, as some people may wait until it's safe to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Looks to me like stairwells are well ablaze.

Hope all get out.

One would wonder where are the sprinklers.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

Looks to me like stairwells are well ablaze.

Hope all get out.

One would wonder where are the sprinklers.
    What could possibly be in a stairwell to cause such a fire?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks to me like the tower was externally insulated and it's the external insulation that's on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

tiger55 wrote: »
    What could possibly be in a stairwell to cause such a fire?

Easy way for fire to have a clear run.

Badly built and poor firewall if any.

Now I could be mistaken but have worked in many office style buildings similar doing electrical work and just looks like that's where the straight lines up of the fire are.

Cable, stairwell furnishings, timber and plastics. Many things for a fire to take hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks to me like the tower was externally insulated and it's the external insulation that's on fire.

That's what a guy who was in there said in an interview on BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625

Looks absolutely horrendous

Advertisement