Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

Interesting story on an Ancestry DNA test in the Indo this morning:
    [font=Georgia, serif]Irish woman discovers long-lost brother after they both do online DNA test[/font]
    She probably decided to go public after seeing the Late Late.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

p15574 wrote: »
    Interesting story on an Ancestry DNA test in the Indo this morning:
    [font=Georgia, serif]Irish woman discovers long-lost brother after they both do online DNA test[/font]
    She probably decided to go public after seeing the Late Late.

I played a very minor role in a similar thing recently. Two sisters who were abandoned as infants (separately) found out about each other after each decided on their own to do DNA testing. They are my fourth cousins and I was able to assist in figuring out the birth parents. A news feature will be running on them here in the states sometime this week. They met for the first time on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gloraghgirl

Hello ...I am still searching for my Casey's and i have heard the name Gill before..i did a DNA test and have a Gedmatch number if you want we could see if we are a match? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Ordered my first kit from ancestryDNA, being Irish I expect it to be boring, as in your Irish the end. The community thing seems fun. But what is the turn around? I've seen some people online complain.

Also I know they don't do the y and x haplogroup, but I understand their is a site for free for the y is their x one?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

JamboMac wrote: »
    Ordered my first kit from ancestryDNA, being Irish I expect it to be boring, as in your Irish the end. The community thing seems fun. But what is the turn around? I've seen some people online complain.

Also I know they don't do the y and x haplogroup, but I understand their is a site for free for the y is their x one?

When I ordered mine in November, it was a 2 week turn around from ordering to results. I couldn't believe how fast it was. I had myself geared up for the time frame they had set out. It is possible that they are just backlogged from the offer they had around mother's day? I did read that around those times when they have money off promotions, they do tend to be alot slower with the results.

• Advertisement

That saliva sample is difficult and I feel there may be more than saliva, here's hoping it's a good sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I sent my sample away on 1st March and it's still not in Lab Processing so looks like it will take the full 6-8 weeks. The anticipation is killing!

Wyldwood wrote: »
    I sent my sample away on 1st March and it's still not in Lab Processing so looks like it will take the full 6-8 weeks. The anticipation is killing!

Yeah I remember when I had patience and I could wait that long. Wonder do they do it in John rogersons quay or do they send it to America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Wyldwood wrote: »

Dam! Mine only went in on the 22nd March, so I've a good long wait so..........

Does anybody know whether they stand by the offer they give you immediately after buying the DNA kit for the membership. It was initially half the price they quote but now has gone back up. The site seems a bit badly made to be honest.

• Advertisement

So FTDNA has updated their "My Origins" feature and, at least for me, it seems pretty bad. They used to have me as 100 percent "British Isles." I'm now 17 percent East Europe for some reason, which makes no sense at all and is at odds with the two other companies I've tested with, not to mention my family tree.

It would seem FTDNA continues to lag behind in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hammy007

RGM wrote: »
    So FTDNA has updated their "My Origins" feature and, at least for me, it seems pretty bad. They used to have me as 100 percent "British Isles." I'm now 17 percent East Europe for some reason, which makes no sense at all and is at odds with the two other companies I've tested with, not to mention my family tree.

It would seem FTDNA continues to lag behind in this area.

In fairness, they are all estimates, and can't truly be relied upon with certainly. I actually found my new FTDNA ethnicity results more similar to my Ancestry results, whereas before they were a good bit different.

FTDNA:
    West and Central Europe 66%
    Iberia 20%
    British Isles 9%
    East Europe 3%
    Asia Minor < 2%
    West Middle East < 2%

Ancestry:
    Europe West 52%
    Iberian Peninsula 19%
    Great Britain 16%
    Italy/Greece 4%
    Ireland 3%
    Scandinavia 3%
    West Asia 3%
    Caucasus 2%
    Middle East < 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Does anybody know whether they stand by the offer they give you immediately after buying the DNA kit for the membership. It was initially half the price they quote but now has gone back up. The site seems a bit badly made to be honest.

I think the postage they charge is a disgrace ...

torrevieja wrote: »
    I think the postage they charge is a disgrace ...

I know 20 from John Rogerson quay in Dublin and back. They post dhl but surely that could be cheaper. The day I got put it back in the post next day they get via an post. Probably 3 euro round trip with them.

Hope I don't have to wait to long, another stupid thing is spouse. Just because people have a child does not mean they where married.

Started building my family tree and it's heavily on the pink side.

hammy007 wrote: »
    In fairness, they are all estimates, and can't truly be relied upon with certainly. I actually found my new FTDNA ethnicity results more similar to my Ancestry results, whereas before they were a good bit different.

They are estimates, yes. It's just disconcerting to see an upgrade make the estimate less accurate than it was before.

Maybe I'm an outlier in this case, I don't know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The tests come from and go back to a lab in the USA. It's just customer service and finance on Sir John Rogerson's Quay.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

That saliva sample is difficult and I feel there may be more than saliva, here's hoping it's a good sample.

I had to do it twice. About three weeks after i sent mine in (to Ancestry) i got another testing kit in the post with a note saying my last saliva sample wasnt good enough. Second time worked fine though.

Anybody else get the lovely email that coz they where busy during Christmas it's gonna be a delay? It's now nearly may, Christmas should not effect may. In all fairness it's only week 3 since I sent it just worried that this delay could end up being 3 months or something.

Well, it's 8 weeks since I sent mine in and it's been in Lab Processing for the past week and still no news so I think you might have a bit of a wait, I'm afraid.

Anybody else get the lovely email that coz they where busy during Christmas it's gonna be a delay? It's now nearly may, Christmas should not effect may. In all fairness it's only week 3 since I sent it just worried that this delay could end up being 3 months or something.

Christmas affects May when you sell 1.4 million DNA kits in the last quarter of the year.

Also, a surprisingly high number of people do not immediately send in their kit. I'm sure numerous Christmas kits were still being mailed in last month.

• Advertisement

Christmas affects May when you sell 1.4 million DNA kits in the last quarter of the year.

Also, a surprisingly high number of people do not immediately send in their kit. I'm sure numerous Christmas kits were still being mailed in last month.

You should only join the lab queue when you send it in, shouldn't be based on when it was purchased. Wouldn't make sense to prioritise kits that ancestry sold during Christmas if people took 4 months to return it realistically they should join the back of the queue.

You should only join the lab queue when you send it in, shouldn't be based on when it was purchased. Wouldn't make sense to prioritise kits that ancestry sold during Christmas if people took 4 months to return it realistically they should join the back of the queue.

It's not about priority, it's about volume. Ancestry sold 400 thousand more kits in the last quarter of 2016 than they did in all of 2015.

Apparently they've just opened a second lab, or so I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It's not about priority, it's about volume. Ancestry sold 400 thousand more kits in the last quarter of 2016 than they did in all of 2015.

Apparently they've just opened a second lab, or so I've heard.

I wonder if its due to the emergence of a few competitors resulting in a bit of an advertising war between them all before Xmas?

I must revisit my results from early last year I wonder if the numbers have changed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well most of competitors have been there for several years, (23andme and FamilytreeDNA are big ones). Ancestry have been mounting a very large scale advertising campaign. I think they are track to hit 4 million samples by end of this year (they hit 3 million in January). This is extremely fast growth. I've even notice they have started running adds on RT? (seen them during 6.01 news etc.)

Scale really matters when it comes to testing database that's for sure.

Well most of competitors have been there for several years, (23andme and FamilytreeDNA are big ones). Ancestry have been mounting a very large scale advertising campaign. I think they are track to hit 4 million samples by end of this year (they hit 3 million in January). This is extremely fast growth. I've even notice they have started running adds on RTÉ (seen them during 6.01 news etc.)

Scale really matters when it comes to testing database that's for sure.

Ok it would seem they actually sold 1 million kits in 3 months! growing their database by 33% in size!

Ancestry%2Bfour%2Bmillion.jpg

see details here:
    https://cruwys.blogspot.ie/2017/04/ancestrydna-passes-four-million.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Once everyone uploads to GEDMatch (for free) it doesn't matter so much which company did the original test.

Ancestry's seems rather expensive in comparison to what I paid FTDNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭doctorwho-fan

I just ordered my kit looking forward to results no matter how long it takes

I just ordered my kit looking forward to results no matter how long it takes

Might find out your not even a doctor who fan like you think.:D

The tree stuff is fun to pass the time for a while.

• Advertisement

For anyone waiting for results, I sent mine in on the 1st March and got my results today so a full 2 months wait.
    Results were quite boring 72% Irish, 27% Great Britain & 2% Scandinavian. Also, I don't have any Genetic Community matches so that's disappointing.

Advertisement