Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Was it common for someone baptised Joseph to end up using the name James? I didn't think the two were interchangable.

Birth and baptism cert have him down as Joseph (and so do the census in 1901 and 1911), and I'm 99% sure I have the right marriage cert and he's down as James.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Never heard of them together.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

Definitely different names. It would not be unheard of for someone to acquire a middle name, e.g. the father's name, and then to become known by that name, though it would not be an official name.

Thanks. His father's name was Joseph, which doesn't exactly help.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Sometimes James was recorded as Jas and Joseph as Jos.... so scope for confusion there. Having said that, it's not uncommon for people to have several names depending on the context - family, work, friends, education. Also, names can be recorded incorrectly - happened to a friend of mine who discovered when he looked for his birth cert that the first name he'd used all his life wasn't on the cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

So his father was also Joseph so likely the child used a middle name to distinguish him from the senior Joseph. The middle name might not have been included at the birth/baptism. There is also an extra name selected at Confirmation. Often diminutives or pet names were used such as Pakky for Patrick, or Baby for a youngest child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Any recommendations on what the best ancestry package is if pretty much all your ancestors come from Cork and Kerry? Its nice to be able to tie up loose ends of those who have emigrated etc but probably not worth it. I havent joined in a while but have an ancestry DNA test and connected on facebook groups to people with ancestry trees that i'd like to view. Any likely sales coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ancestry-worldwide-for-only-1-via-ancestrycom-not-ancestry-uk-3504097

New and returning customers. Sign into amazon.com and press the get deal on the hotukdeal link. Its like a euro for 3 months but make sure to cancel before it auto renews.

I don't think you can view trees without a subscription.

It's a matter of personal choice. Lots of things are on both FMP and Ancestry but I find it easier to search FMP. However, I need Ancestry for the DNA stuff and the world databases.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Update on the James/Joseph mystery.

Turns out that he was named James on the birth register but there was a change of mind a few days later as he was baptised George William.

He's down as George on the 1901 and 1911 census but then looks like he had a change of mind afterwards as he uses James on his marriage cert.

A relative was able to help me with this. Unlikely I would have figured it out otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

mindhorn wrote: »
    Update on the James/Joseph mystery.

Turns out that he was named James on the birth register but there was a change of mind a few days later as he was baptised George William.

He's down as George on the 1901 and 1911 census but then looks like he had a change of mind afterwards as he uses James on his marriage cert.

A relative was able to help me with this. Unlikely I would have figured it out otherwise.

That's great you got it sorted - those things can drive you crazy!

So I ended up spending a lot of the BH weekend on my US cousins - managed to open up a few previous dead ends. I notice a lot of people used 17 March as their birthday even though their record in the Irish civil records shows a different date. Has anyone else come across this? I suppose if they didn't know their DOB the US authorities put them down as Paddy's day?

That's great you got it sorted - those things can drive you crazy!

Thanks. I'd say that's a pretty unusual situtation though, where the parents had a change of mind when baptising a child, and then the child had their own change of mind later on in life.

So I ended up spending a lot of the BH weekend on my US cousins - managed to open up a few previous dead ends. I notice a lot of people used 17 March as their birthday even though their record in the Irish civil records shows a different date. Has anyone else come across this? I suppose if they didn't know their DOB the US authorities put them down as Paddy's day?

It's not the US authorities, it's people themselves. My theory is, they didn't know their actual DOB but they knew the date of St Patrick's Day, so chose that and selected a year they thought was right.

But if someone is actually called Patrick or Patrick Joseph, then it's likely their DOB is in or around that date. I wrote a blog post about earlier this year:

https://cbgenealogy.ie/?p=537

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Irish genealogy.ie is being really really nice to me recently !!!!!!!!!! :D

I was looking for the civil births of children of a particular family between 1886 and 1898. I had their ages from the 1901 census.
    By doing a simple name search +/- one year in the Cork RD, about 25 results appeared with each search. (very common name!)

For 5 of the 7 children, the particular record that I was looking for was the first record on the page !!!!!!!

I'm counting myself very very lucky hear!!! :D

Well done.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've been going back through some of the American branches of my family tree and have discovered how useful online obituaries can be. It's amazing how much genealogical information is contained in American obituaries - dates and places of birth of deceased, parent's names, names of all children and their spouses lists of grandchildren, lists of surviving siblings...I have found that for people who have died in the past 20 years googling their name and the word obituary will often find this very useful information.

Just in case anyone else hasn't discovered this yet 🙂

I don't have too many relatives in the US but the ones I did find were purely down to an obituary from the 90s. Listed all the jobs he had, where he went to school, places he lived, children, grandchildren...the works.

Agree - some of them are really over the top. They must not have to pay by the word!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Discovered today that the Enumerator for Drumcarrow DED (Monaghan) in the 1911 census made most of the entries in the old Irish script, meaning if you search for the English version of a name you won't find it. Hours of fun.

Have a browse:
    http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Drumcarrow/

• Advertisement

All the Irish entries are in the old script - it wasn't modernised until the 1950s (?)

At least they are transcribed now though - initially none of the entries in Irish were transcribed at all!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Fun times!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

spurious wrote: »
    Discovered today that the Enumerator for Drumcarrow DED (Monaghan) in the 1911 census made most of the entries in the old Irish script, meaning if you search for the English version of a name you won't find it. Hours of fun.

Have a browse:
    http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Drumcarrow/

Don't blame the enumerator, Constable Smith used English. It was some local fanatic who filled the forms then got the householders to sign them.

Clearly a case of a community under the thumb of the gaelgoir. Either that or they all wanted to demonstrate their nationalist fervour.

There is something weird going on. I clicked on a random sample in a few different areas. Most people signed their names in English. The column for ability to speak Irish/ English is rarely completed except where a few individuals are bilingual.

I'm not familiar enough with old Irish but the handwriting looks the same on many entries.

I'll get my deerstalker...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

I wonder did we used to have a newspaper look-up request thread? I could have sworn I saw it previously but now can't find it. I'm hoping someone could look up something in the Drogheda Independent for me, if they had time and access.

I don't think there's a specific thread - you just post what you're looking for, either here or in a new thread, and someone will pick up on it.

I have access if you want to post details.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks Hermy, I've sent you a PM.

Article located and awaiting dispatch.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Article located and awaiting dispatch.

Article received with thanks, another line of research to pursue!

• Advertisement

Mod Note: moved conversation re: surname variants to its own thread.

Don't be afraid to start a new thread: I'll let you know if there's a problem with it! :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement