Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Avoid negativity?

Options
  • 01-04-2015 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm posting here in response to a post where the poster stated that they avoid negative people. this is the 2nd time in the recent past that I've heard/been told that people actively avoid negative people.

Hearing that people would actively avoid me if I voiced my opinions leads me to become increasingly withdrawn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Some people are happy delivering bad news.
    We had a milk collection lorry driver who I came to avoid whenever possible.
    He was as happy as a sand-boy, just loved to have a bit of bad news to deliver, or a gloomy prediction. Could be the weather, milk price, people who had dropped dead, who had got cancer,anything at all.
    The one thing he NEVER had, was a positive thought.
    So I just let him get on with his work and avoided him.

I am sure your opinions are not as negative as that lad's were.
    Anyway, if you suddenly find yourself delivering a long monologue of negative's, you can always try and make a joke of some of it. I sometimes find myself going a bit too "close to the bone" on some subjects and have to draw back a bit.
    Cheers, Nek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

quietsoul wrote: »
    Hearing that people would actively avoid me if I voiced my opinions leads me to become increasingly withdrawn.

Opinions are fine, it's the manner that you voice them in that makes all the different I think. Life is often very tough, some people let this fact really get to them and are negative all the time about everything, however others can try to see the positives despite how bad the situation might be, this is where I increasingly am trying to pitch myself. I've been there done that and wondered why is life so against me for utterly everything, thankfully I learnt to snap out of that and see the positives more often, it's certainly helped my view longterm, and make me a more sociable person!

So all I can say to you is try to see the positives always, no matter how crap the situation is, and this will shine through to the people around you. And the final important thing, I've long since give up giving a crap about what others think of me ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Being negative and giving your opinion is kind of the same but different :D. Get what ever you have on your mind off your chest here or with someone you trust you can be as negative as you want once you get it off your chest you will start to come to find the positives, other people can help in this regard as they can point the positives out to you. I am probably a very negative person deep down but I'm trying my best to change the way I think.! Sometimes I don't even realise I'm being negative until someone points it out to me. Just look at my username :D

Advertisement