Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking/Offers for a new apiary site

• 20-06-2014 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

What is needed in an apiary:

Some of this (like shelter for example) can be fixed or put in place if not naturally there of course.

A sheltered space - a space nicely sheltered from the wind but yet not too shaded or overhung by branches. Open to sunshine from the south would be nice.

Dry level ground - you don't want the space around the hives to turn into a mud bath. Also, you don't want to be tripping over rocks and hollows while carrying a box full of bees. It doesn't have to be a bowling green to put hives on it... an awkward bit of farm headland could be easily good enough but the hives need to be level and accidents are best avoided.

Vehicle access - best is to be able to drive right up beside the apiary rather than lugging equipment/hives across fields, otherwise that little knife or spare frame or whatever always seems to be back in the car when you need it.

Access - the freedom to call in on the hives whenever needed. From about April to September this would be pretty frequent, a minimum of weekly from May through July, sometimes late in the evenings or at the crack of dawn for moving colonies. Over the winter visits would be much less frequent.

Secure and away from prying eyes - somewhere that they won't draw much attention from light fingers or overly curious teenagers.

Remote - you can manage your bees well and keep docile strains of bees but they do have their off days for a whole host of reasons, ideally the hives would be far enough away from a regularly used garden/house/yard/footpath that nobody would get stung while the bees are having a bad hair day.

Safe from animals - you don't want to turn up to discover that a cow has tried to use your hive as a scratching post.

What would be nice to have in an apiary:

A water source - bees need water, it's easy to provide it and water only dries up at certain times of the year in Ireland so it's not hard to mind, but if there was a river/pond/dripping tap nearby that would be handy.

Watchful eyes - it's nice to have your hives somewhere that a friendly pair of eyes might notice a problem and give you a call... Hives knocked over... Somebody poking about... A swarm...

Particularly good forage - forage should be in the "must have" list too but it's hard to find places in Ireland that haven't got some forage. Particularly good forage includes interesting things like acres of heather nearby, or fields of oil seed rape for an early crop but more importantly includes abundance of hedgerows for blackberry and hawthorn, lots of trees. Chestnut, willow, hazel, lime all have different benefits. Lots of urban gardens around can be good too. The most important thing is a range of flowers for forage at different times of the season. Most plants only have a short window in which they bloom and offer nectar and pollen so while, say, willow is good for early pollen, as soon as the catkins are all turning the bees need to be able to turn to something else. Bees will forage over a radius of up to a couple of miles so you don't have to have everything on their doorstep either though.

What a beekeeper can offer you:

Bees and honey - traditionally a beekeepers rent would be a jar of honey per hive. It's hard to find honey more local than from your own garden/farm.

Maintenance - the beekeeper would usually look after making sure the area around the apiary is looked after. Grass tidied up etc.

The use of a spare bee suit - Beekeepers may have a spare suit with them so if you feel like getting a guided tour of the inside of the hive, join in anytime, a spare pair of hands is often useful.

Insurance - members of FIBKA are covered by third party insurance for their beekeeping activities.

This thread is for "looking and offers" only.
    Please post additional requirements to improve the information on this post in another [url="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057234141]thread started by brianmc[/url]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Great to see this forum up and running. While the interest is high I might as well take advantage. :)

I'm looking for a new apiary site, an additional one because I'm increasing the number of colonies I run. I currently keep hives at two locations but each of those sites can only manage a few hives.

The areas I am most interested in are around Straffan, Clane, Kilcock, Maynooth, Leixlip, Dunboyne. So, if anyone has a bit of space and likes the idea of having bees around and some free honey, drop me a PM.

I would prefer a site where I could comfortably keep maybe 8 or 9 full colonies without freaking anybody out... not that I have 8 or 9 colonies to move in right now.

The lists in the original post here describe the ideal that I'm looking for but I'm not really expecting to find a completely perfect site so if you're interested, drop me a line!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Other posters with possible site offers:

E. Fudd 20-6-14

I'm based in Kill and am in a similar position. I may have a spot in Ballymore sorted and I possibly would have space for a few more hives if you were interested? (I'm a member of NKBKA).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90931699&postcount=2

on the river 20-6-14

Looking for a bee keeper in connacht any one with information let me know.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90925676&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

Offer have a place in north kk that might suit if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

Looking for a site near Youghal in Cork if anyone know of a place

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Aghoney

Offer, a site in Co. Laois, south of Timahoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Looking for an apiary site
    Watergrasshill ,Glanmire, knockraha area . If you are planting oilseed rape , beans, a field of either for 2015, then that would be ideal as well

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

solargain wrote: »
    Looking for an apiary site
    Watergrasshill ,Glanmire, knockraha area . If you are planting oilseed rape , beans, a field of either for 2015, then that would be ideal as well

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Looking for a site in Carrickmacross

Ideally near nuremore but open - would offer some honey as rent....

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Anybody tried pitching for apiary sites to tillage farmers (especially guys growing field beans)... Would have thought there'd be a stampede ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

There is a grant from 2015 for protein crops , beans , lupins etc . The problem I find is most of the big guys involved in this are only renting the land themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

Markcheese wrote: »
    Anybody tried pitching for apiary sites to tillage farmers (especially guys growing field beans)... Would have thought there'd be a stampede ...

Bees apparently don't increase yields of beans or peas as these crops are self pollinating.

No ,but they do work the beans , get a lovely honey from it and the pollen content is high protein for the bees 34%. Any time my bees are on beans the pods always seem fuller and stronger nearer the hives

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

A question regarding use of a site.

I have been offered a site for an apiary. A friend owns a small section of a bog. It was given to his father or grandfather by the land commission. He has the maps but couldn't find the exact part in the bog as he'd never been there. He owns about an acre.

This bog is a big expanse of 100 acres approx. There are no boundaries or fences. The bog is covered in trees / mainly birch and nearby there is alot of gorse and also usual countryside flora. I would like to use it as it may be good for bees - but my concern is I'm sure young lads wander about this area in the summer and may attack the hives or get stung by getting too near.

Anyone else use a similar type of apiary and how are you dealing with above issues...... etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Irishmale

Hey,

I don't know if its too late but I would like to have a couple of hives around. Have space on the farm etc.
    Would be useful too for my veg.
    I'm in Co. Meath, outside Athboy.
    PM me if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

DK man wrote: »
    A question regarding use of a site.

I have been offered a site for an apiary. A friend owns a small section of a bog. It was given to his father or grandfather by the land commission. He has the maps but couldn't find the exact part in the bog as he'd never been there. He owns about an acre.

This bog is a big expanse of 100 acres approx. There are no boundaries or fences. The bog is covered in trees / mainly birch and nearby there is alot of gorse and also usual countryside flora. I would like to use it as it may be good for bees - but my concern is I'm sure young lads wander about this area in the summer and may attack the hives or get stung by getting too near.

Anyone else use a similar type of apiary and how are you dealing with above issues...... etc.

Thanks

I don't have a space 'rented' but re your query on the young lads I would have thought that if you have the permission of the landowner then you shouldn't worry about them being stung. They shouldn't be there in the first place and if it's in the middle of a bog (I.e open) then they have ample warning before they get there. To try to curb the possibility of vandalism I'd put ratchet straps around the hives. At least then if the hive is knocked over it's still intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Apis2015

I am looking for an apiary site in Co. Laois to put a few hives if anyone has any offers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭epfff

If anyone out there looking for a site for hives in South roscommon area I'd be more than happy to facilitate them

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

Anyone with an offer of a site in South East Clare or anywhere in the vicinity of limerick city I'd like to hear from ye. Alternatively if you don't want to host a hive, I'd like sites for swarm traps which are basically like a large bird box. It goes up in the tree to attract a swarm and gets removed a few days or a week after a swarm moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

hsilgnede wrote: »
    Anyone with an offer of a site in South East Clare or anywhere in the vicinity of limerick city I'd like to hear from ye. Alternatively if you don't want to host a hive, I'd like sites for swarm traps which are basically like a large bird box. It goes up in the tree to attract a swarm and gets removed a few days or a week after a swarm moves in.

Might be able to help in the area. Sent you pm with contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Field of oilseed rape in flower in monasterevin with vehicular access to hive sites in full view of houses so can see any strangers snooping

Pm for details contact info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

fergus1001 wrote:
    Field of oilseed rape in flower in monasterevin with vehicular access to hive sites in full view of houses so can see any strangers snooping

Flowers are in full bloom now haven't heard anything yet I'd be great full to have a hive or two as I have a great interest in bees and couldn't get a nuc this year as everyone was booked out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Flowers are in full bloom now haven't heard anything yet I'd be great full to have a hive or two as I have a great interest in bees and couldn't get a nuc this year as everyone was booked out !

I'm pretty sure rape is a tricky one with bees. The honey granulates quickly so you have to harvest pretty much immediately after it has been capped.

http://honeybeesuite.com/the-trouble-with-canola-honey/

Unrelated, I'm looking for a site in North or North West Dublin if anybody has anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

Hello Im looking for some advice with regard to any laws you need to adhere to with regard to beekeeping. My neighbour has started beekeeping recently without any warning or permission. I have two small dogs and a child who enjoy spending time in the back garden but twice now we have had to run for cover as the nest started to swarm the area where their hive is (i can reach over the wall and touch it if i wanted to). I have tryed to find info online but I have not been successful.

I want to get the facts before I approach my neighbour about this problem so can anyone share any links or helpful advice?

Thanks

I'm not aware of any laws around the location of the hive (that's not to say such laws do not exist). However I'd suggest that reference to the law is not where you want to start a conversation with the person you are living beside.

I'm aware of a few people that have backyard bees, generally they don't inform their neighbours because people tend to have unfounded fears of bees. I do however see where you're coming from, I would not keep a full hive in my own yard because of the neighbours.

Maybe just explain your side of it to him and see what he can do in the first instance.
    • He can move the hive to a different side of the garden.
    • He can change the direction of the entrance.
    • He could also put up a high barrier (2m) at the fence facing the entrance to the hive - the bees will clear this and fly at that height looking for forage (if you're in Dublin, this is how the Botanic Gardens are set up with their hives). That approach is referenced here

But as I said, keep it friendly in the first instance assuming you're going to be neighbours for the foreseeable.
    dmc36 wrote: »
    but twice now we have had to run for cover as the nest started to swarm
    Unless this guy is a very poor beekeeper it's unlikely that swarm is the right word here. Swarming is where a large number of bees leave the hive in search of a new location to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

As PMan said, a high fence is the best way. I have a couple of hives in the bottom of the garden, but to pacify my wife, I have a couple of 7ft fence sections behind them, so that the bees fly up to that height and above the rest of the garden (when they fly in that direction). The reality is that bees have zero interest in you or your family or your pets - the only time they could be a nuisance is if they fly into you and think they're under attack, which is why the high fence works so well.

When there's a nectar flow on and the weather is hot, the bees are really busy so they're flying in and out of the hive in a constant stream - I'm guessing that's what you're referring to as swarming. If they were swarming, they will rise up in a huge cloud of 10000 bees or more and settle in a ball somewhere not too far away, usually hanging off a branch, while they work out where to move to. If they happen to settle in your garden, let your neighbour know as soon as possible and he'll just take them away. On the other hand, he may have bait hives set up, which are designed to catch any passing swarm, including from his own hives. If they attract a swarm, you'll certainly know - it's a rather impressive sight!

Edit: on the original question, you should talk to your neighbour. There is no specific law about bees - you can't even sue if you get stung since it's impossible to prove it's his bees and, in any case, they're considered wild animals rather than domesticated. I suppose you could use the law of tort, but that should only be the very last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Speak to your neighbour and let him educate you about bees and how chill they usually are. I collected a swarm the other day, no suit or gloves and I didn't get stung once.

I'd rather have bees in the garden next door to me than a barking dog or shouting kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

Hi New to bee keeping , in the middle of doing the keeping Course and was looking for a site in South Dublin. I'll keep asking around but if anyone could help it would be appreciated. Do any allotment place let beekeeping in?

Depending on where you are in South Dublin you might look at Coillte. I gather if you approach them with a suggested site they are pretty accomodating.
    Do any allotment place let beekeeping in?
    Some do, some don't.
    I'd think long and hard though about allotments unless you have some guarantee on a limit to the number of hives going into the allotmnet. I looked at one last year, appartetly there were a lot of hives in there which can't but put pressure on the colonies in terms of finding forage.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

Thanks Pman, I'll go on a reccy this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Hi New to bee keeping , in the middle of doing the keeping Course and was looking for a site in South Dublin. I'll keep asking around but if anyone could help it would be appreciated. Do any allotment place let beekeeping in?

Are you on Facebook? Post asking if any of your friends would let you keep them in their garden.

Is your own garden out of the question?

Advertisement