Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The issue is not going away is it, despite the media and Establishment desire to kill off any dissenting voices ASAP.

The one thing I would like to focus on is what Casey actually said. He said everyone should be treated equally, and there is no need for ethnic status for Travellers. That's true and is NOT racist, how could it be?

But the narrative has been hijacked to assign to him the very labels he seeks to abolish.

Travellers are not treated equally here, they are treated better than the so called non ethnic people IMV. Rarely pulled up on anti social behaviour, fighting, animal cruelty, misogyny, a culture of non education and marrying the girls off as soon as possible and so on.

It really is up to Travellers to prove they are being discriminated against. I don't see much of that, quite the opposite in fact.

This is despite millions of taxpayer funds been funnelled into Pavee Point. What benefits has than shown?

We hear all the time about health outcomes, and lack of education etc. Well in fairness those services are available to all, so I don't understand why this narrative keeps being repeated. They should help themselves a bit more and quit the victim mentality.

We are all equal remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It must hurt that this has taken all the spotlight away from Sinn Féin, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Why not have an ould bitta crack with it, a fight to the death with criminals, could be staged in croker

No, no. Authority must be the arbiter and applicator of discipline. Loutish behaviour such as fighting, has no place in a civilized society, be it in an arena or a back alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I'm not sure what else the people that support him want.

He has been on the biggest platforms in the state, there is nowhere else to go. For someone without a political party or without an idea what he's going to do next, he should actually be delighted with the airtime that he's received.

The questions put to him have always been fairly tame. People have just let him speak, he's his own worse enemy.

He's going to run in the counties that nominated him is he? Well I wish him the best of luck running against these lads and trying to take their seats.

465263.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tubs doing a great job for the the Casey PR machine I see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

listermint wrote: »
    He was the most suited out of the crop of people applying.

That is my opinion.

Casey gave no one a voice they don't already have. These same people are not bothered voting for new parties . So they aren't too bothered about their voice. Protest vote with zero results.

Get off their arse and start campaigning to councillors and TDs if they want change.

Or dish out pointless protest votes when they get activated at a perceived bogey man.

Look at the protest vote in the UK millions voting for themselves to be put out of work.again a perceived bogey man. The EU

We don’t know what the result of the protest vote will be yet. It’s too early to tell. A perceived bogeyman? You honestly don’t have a clue. I live in one of the towns where Casey topped the pole. People here didn’t vote for Casey because they were manipulated and/or are stupid/hateful/racist. They supported him because they live in a town with a high traveller population and have to live everyday with the problems that that often brings. I won’t bore you with anecdotes. Google has pages and pages of newspaper articles if you wish to educate yourself.

There are no candidates that will touch traveller issues or the growing welfare state at the moment. Maybe that will change. We’ll see.

Comparing the presidential election with Brexit makes no sense. One outcome has pretty much no impact on voters lives and the other has huge impact.

Here is something to think about. Maybe people that think/vote differently to you aren’t idiots. Maybe we havent been manipulated and are blaming all our woes on a bogeyman. Maybe we have genuine real concerns that you and people like you have very little experience of and frankly don’t give a damn about.

That’s me done for a while. Please don’t expect a reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

'Overly focused on Casey' on a thread about Casey?

I am noticing this tactic - wheneve a light is shone on Casey, the excuse is 'it's not about Casey' :D:D

Arranging a counterpoint to a controversial opinion on a debate show is not an 'ambush'.
    Juvenile excuse making for a shambolic performance/defence of his statements.
    I can see responding to you could become very tedious. I said Casey started a discourse as to whether he has a future place in that discourse is my opinion doubtful.
    It was an ambush but the idiots that attempted should have been better coached. Appalling effort. Casey getting attacked by Tubs just adds fuel to the fire. Anyway as I said engaging with you further would become tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Why not have an ould bitta crack with it, a fight to the death with criminals, could be staged in croker

No, no. Authority must be the arbiter and applicator of discipline. Loutish behaviour such as fighting, has no place in a civilized society, be it in an arena or a back alley.

It might be best if you leave this planet, as I'd imagine life is stressful for you. Would brutality be considered err emm brutal behaviour?

It must hurt that this has taken all the spotlight away from Sinn Féin, eh?

Sinn Fein could have organised a better ambush against Casey, lots of experience to draw on.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,840 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I can see responding to you could become very tedious. I said Casey started a discourse as to whether he has a future place in that discourse is my opinion doubtful.
    It was an ambush but the idiots that attempted should have been better coached. Appalling effort. Casey getting attacked by Tubs just adds fuel to the fire. Anyway as I said engaging with you further would become tedious.

You are joining the 'we want a 'discussion' but we don't want any challenge to the discussion' gang is it?
    I can see why this gang are upset Casey got challenged last night. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You are joining the 'we want a 'discussion' but we don't want any challenge to the discussion' gang is it?

Nah dude just joining " the couldn't be bothered responding to you gang". Tedious boring and circular. Don't expect any further response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

People are upset because Tubridy presented a non threatening group of travellers to the country last night. I predicted this is what he would do but it’s another kick in the teeth to rural people to see this response by the national broadcaster to the misery that led to them voting for Casey.

If the majority of the thirty thousand travellers are good law abiding citizens who go to college and then work why did 347,000 people vote for Peter Casey.

RTE should remember who pays the licence fee and who doesn’t.

Tubridy and his rude questions about where Casey got his money, I think this was the first question asked. Tubridy is on a huge salary and every licence payer is being fleeced to pay for his nose in the trough. He isn’t afraid to leave his house in case someone arrives pretending to be selling something but in reality looking for an opportunity to rob it.

Why didn’t Tubridy ask the travellers how come many appear to be wealthy but officially the vast majority claim welfare payments, if its ok to ask Casey where he made his money then ask the travellers the same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

BBC Watchdog Rouge Traders highlighted the problem with Traveller gangs. One gang were collecting rubbish at £200 a load, taking it back to their illegal "camp", filling every square foot & then moving to a new "camp" when it's full.
    One field took £100,000 to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

fergus1001 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/ThMli08zEMk

Pavee point please come on here and explain to us what is going on here, outside a garda station no doubt

Culture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Gwan Daddi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Culture.

I for one am glad my taxation is supporting this important piece of performance street art

How much more articulate do you need to be?

There is nothing beyond stating the 'soundbytes' since Casey started. He falls apart when questioned on his opinions.
    Evidenced again last night.

I am still laughing at the 'Phoenix Park' interlude and the idea that a mouthful like that could be defended or expanded on. Pure hate based rethoric designed to rabble rouse. And again, it has been successful to a degree, but I reckon there are a lot of IQ's considering their positions at the moment across the country. :D

I'd say that after last night's epic fail by RTE Casey's vote would be much higher if the Presidential election was next week.
    As I said to you numerous times now they keep shooting the messenger but are very much afraid of the message. You are also addressing the wrong IQ's. Look inwards Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gwan Daddi
    Gwen Stefani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

By whom?
    We had an irate tubs, three travellers in the audience spoke and asked questions, not another person contributed or was asked to.
    A bad farce and the only one who came out of it with any credibility was Casey.
    No big audience boo's or demands he shut up, in fact a warm round of applause when he entered and at the end of his interview.
    But keep the faith there Francie.
    http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/25515

Gwen Stefani

Whos Fanny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

listermint wrote: »
    He was the most suited out of the crop of people applying.

That is my opinion.

Casey gave no one a voice they don't already have. These same people are not bothered voting for new parties . So they aren't too bothered about their voice. Protest vote with zero results.

Get off their arse and start campaigning to councillors and TDs if they want change.

Or dish out pointless protest votes when they get activated at a perceived bogey man.

Look at the protest vote in the UK millions voting for themselves to be put out of work.again a perceived bogey man. The EU

You are demonstrating a staggering ignorance of the political system in this country.

The main parties have it sewn up which is why it's near impossible for new parties to form let alone actually get anywhere near power.

We don't have a functioning democracy.

We don't even have a functioning government at the moment.

And they get away with it because this country is made up of people like you who can't think for themselves and just spout the establishment line because that's all they know as they vote for the party their parents voted for.

It's pathetic but thankfully this way of thinking is slowly dying away as the older generations die off..

Roll on the Peter Casey's and plenty more like him..

People are done. The liberals have over done it..

The days of political correctness are coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

fergus1001 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/ThMli08zEMk

Pavee point please come on here and explain to us what is going on here, outside a garda station no doubt

Traveller v Non-Traveller fight. Both deserving of criminal charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i thought mary robinson was very good

At what?

Was she fighting too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Sinn Fein could have organised a better ambush against Casey, lots of experience to draw on.
    Even with everything in their favour rte shot themselves in both feet .

Had they the Balaclavas on the wrong way around ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Traveller v Non-Traveller fight. Both deserving of criminal charges.

a fine exhibition of their much vaunted culture

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

https://twitter.com/RTEOne/status/1058479139315965952

So Tubridy is nice to the globalist, open borders hack who wants everyone vegan and who has never worked in her life; a complete intellectual charlatan for a group of people that don't have Irish interests in mind, yet he tries to play the tough lad on Casey?

Casey came out of that mess well.

He's doing what Trump does in relation to media:

1: Say something true or what is seen to be true in a hilarious way.
    2: Get the left/the media to freak the fùck out over it.
    3: Hold your position, let them make an arse of themselves, and let people see how much of a freak these people are.
    4: More people come over to your position/agree with you.

Case in point:

https://twitter.com/Donal_OKeeffe/status/1058505518854094848

He will gain in popularity after this and if he follows the above pattern, he'll do even better.

Robinson when campaigning or in office never denigrated any of the people she was representing.

And she worked for 23 years before assuming the presidency, but why let facts get in the way of belligerent ignorance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MFPM

tretorn wrote: »
    People are upset because Tubridy presented a non threatening group of travellers to the country last night. I predicted this is what he would do but it’s another kick in the teeth to rural people to see this response by the national broadcaster to the misery that led to them voting for Casey.

If the majority of the thirty thousand travellers are good law abiding citizens who go to college and then work why did 347,000 people vote for Peter Casey.

Tubridy and his rude questions about where Casey got his money, I think this was the first question asked. Tubridy is on a huge salary and every licence payer is being fleeced to pay for his nose in the trough. He isn’t afraid to leave his house in case someone arrives pretending to be selling something but in reality looking for an opportunity to rob it.

Why didn’t Tubridy ask the travellers how come many appear to be wealthy but officially the vast majority claim welfare payments, if its ok to ask Casey where he made his money then ask the travellers the same question.

You do like your generalities, don't you?
    People are upset

What 'people' are upset?
    non threatening group of travellers to the country last night.

So you're unhappy that he didn't have people that might suit your stereotype?

ut it’s another kick in the teeth to rural people to see this response by the national broadcaster to the misery that led to them voting for Casey.

Again with the homogeneity....'rural people' voted overwhelmingly for other candidates notably MDH, so your 'analysis' is a little askew to say the least.

People voted for Casey for a number of reasons but of course his scapegoating of travellers played a role which resulted in sections of Irish society voting for him but there's always a minority who will echo dog whistle politics, - are you suggesting that everybody who voted for Trump is a misogynistic, racist arseho!e? Clearly they're not but if one took a lazy analysis of his vote that's a conclusion one could reach.

What does that mean? I pay a TV licence and I wouldn't vote for an incoherent pampered, privileged millionaire like Casey in a fit.

So Casey can give it but not take it, is that what you're suggesting? Given that Casey has made generalsied attacks on people, he's fair game for questions on his income - I'd be interested to see how much corporate welfare he and his companies have received?

Perhaps because Casey was the subject of the interview and not Travellers, secondly, Casey was being asked a question about his own finances, you are suggesting Tubridy ask people about how other unnamed people earn their money, could you answer that question for your local community or is it only appropriate for Travellers because they're all the same, aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Milking the Public Teat . Jaysus , Her self and Money D are the best Milkers in the Country . Machine Money Milkers . (MMMs):eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement