Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have all the Buddhism threads gone?

• 09-02-2017 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I haven't been following things in recent times.

I see that Buddhism has been merged into World Religions. But a hell of a lot of threads seem to be lost. What happened to them?

There are virtually no threads under the "Buddhism" filter.

And why was everything merged? I searched history and saw mention of a notice in early 2016 but the link is dead.

It seems weird to lump everything else into one bin. Granted, the buddhism forum wasn't very active but it was one place people could browse easily. And no it all seems to have been lost. Deleted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

Yup, I had 137 posts in my stats.
    There are 45 remaining visible.
    There are none of my posts to the Buddhism forum remaining. That's about 100 gone missing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

None of the forums merged into creating World Religions where deleted; you can find them all in the archive. If there is any specific thread you wish to continue to discuss then simply let one of the mods know and it will be moved over here to become available to reply to.

Thanks for the link.
    How did it come to be decided to merge them?
    Why were the threads archived? There was useful info in them and now people won't find it as they don't seem to appear in searches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

bou wrote: »
    Thanks for the link.
    How did it come to be decided to merge them?
    Lack of activity in the individual forums which prompted them to be merged to try to get more activity in general rather then simply straight out close them for lack of activity.
    Why were the threads archived?
    To reduce the server load anything older than 2015 was left behind to make the merger go ahead.
    There was useful info in them and now people won't find it as they don't seem to appear in searches.
    There was as highlighted in the helpdesk an issue with the archive being set to private and only visible by mods etc. This has now been corrected and all of the archive should now show up in searches as normal forums.

Thanks for the prompt replies and for making the threads available again. Glad the old threads can be searched again.

I'll see if there are some things to open again on the merged forum.

• Advertisement

One thing that occurs to me about the merging of World Religions:

If it were the the Atheists and Christians that were merged, there would be a lot of heat and not much light as sensible souls would tire.

I don't see the point of trying to generate more activity across widely different groups by piling them into one basket. I would think that they are quite separate and different traditions and, in general, would not share common views, common interest, or common language (as in terminology).

Moot point perhaps since activity has died down so much.

One thing that occurs to me about the merging of World Religions:

If it were the the Atheists and Christians that were merged, there would be a lot of heat and not much light as sensible souls would tire.

I don't see the point of trying to generate more activity across widely different groups by piling them into one basket. I would think that they are quite separate and different traditions and, in general, would not share common views, common interest, or common language (as in terminology).

Moot point perhaps since activity has died down so much.
    Which is why we have the tag system to help people to see directly if it's a thread of interest for them or not. And unlike Atheist/Christians there's no inherent conflict between the different world religions as such and the number of users as noted are few. This is why it's possible to have them share one forum where as you noted Atheists and Christians (both having significant numbers on this site) would not.

However if we'd get a big influx of let's say Wicca users who started to berate anything relating to Buddhism that would in itself be a trigger to open the Wicca forum again. Hence the merged forum is the current best option to keep a space open and if traffic grows we have the option to easily reopen the old forum(s) required again as well.

Once again, thanks for the detailed reply.

So, if I berate the Wicca crowd I can thus have a Buddhism forum re-established?

So, if I berate the Wicca crowd I can thus have a Buddhism forum re-established?
    If you can help establish enough discussion about Buddhism in general then yes you'd have the forum back :) Do note said discussion require more than you speaking to yourself however :P

Sock puppets away!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement