Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Wellington are you wearing?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

monseiur wrote: »
    Muckboots - yes that's what they're called, are the most comfortable wellie on the market, with great ankle support etc. Had a pair of them, cost €135 but had to dump them as they were lethal, zero grip like skates on ice. So beware!

I have the chore xf gusset muck boots and did have problems with slipping on wet yards when new but have them nearly a year now and no slipping at all now,the new rubber soles wear rougher over time to improve grip.great wellington tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

whelan2 wrote: »
    Bought a pair of bekinas in the spring time for a change, a hole came in them after 6 weeks . They were comfortable but should have lasted longer. So back to puroforts and stones getting stuck in the grips

I have the same problem with gravel getting stuck in the grips of the heels.
    This used not to be a problem, so the distance between the grips must have been changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I have the same problem with gravel getting stuck in the grips of the heels.
    This used not to be a problem, so the distance between the grips must have been changed.

Maybe you have all the stones worn down? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I used to wear noras during the summer light and comfortable but tend to rip or puncher easy enough, this year I went with rouchette rubber boots they are like slippers and work well in dry weather once I am not crossing a river or something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebsfAuv17oQ they are not exactly wellies but not exactly shoes either

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I have the chore xf gusset muck boots and did have problems with slipping on wet yards when new but have them nearly a year now and no slipping at all now,the new rubber soles wear rougher over time to improve grip.great wellington tho.

Where are you getting them on line? My skellerups worn at heel

• Advertisement

sonnybill wrote: »
    Where are you getting them on line? My skellerups worn at heel

I got them through a seller on Amazon UK,not sure if they still do

I got them through a seller on Amazon UK,not sure if they still do
    Tri equestrian do the muckmaster Derwent II for E87 but Agridirect have the Chore 2k version for E118.. think are the 2k worth the extra e30 ?

Tri equestrian do the muckmaster Derwent II for E87 but Agridirect have the Chore 2k version for E118.. think are the 2k worth the extra e30 ?

You'd be thinking the extra cost hopefully would mean bette quality, chore have solid rubber sole.

You'd be thinking the extra cost hopefully would mean bette quality, chore have solid rubber sole.

Yeah I checked them on the muck boot company site in the UK and they £120 there so E118 delivered here is grand and can get the vat back on them here so went with Agridirect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We’ve had problems over the years with Bekina wellies leaking and I thought Bekina had sorted out the problem. I bought a new pair for OH about a month ago cause the treads of his old ones had gone bare. The right foot of the new one’s is leaking. He prefers Bekina’s cause they have good insole support. On the same day I bought a pair of Purforts for myself cause it was the only brand that they had in my size and the right foot off my year old Bekina wellies was leaking.
    During this week I had that uncomfortable cold feeling in my left foot. When I got back into the house the sock was wet along the side of my foot/little toe.
    OH wears rainproof trousers and I wear full chaps at this time of the year and I’m wondering if wearing them is causing the problem.

• Advertisement

Yeah I checked them on the muck boot company site in the UK and they £120 there so E118 delivered here is grand and can get the vat back on them here so went with Agridirect

I didn't think you could claim the vat back on wellingtons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Base price wrote: »
    We’ve had problems over the years with Bekina wellies leaking and I thought Bekina had sorted out the problem. I bought a new pair for OH about a month ago cause the treads of his old ones had gone bare. The right foot of the new one’s is leaking. He prefers Bekina’s cause they have good insole support. On the same day I bought a pair of Purforts for myself cause it was the only brand that they had in my size and the right foot off my year old Bekina wellies was leaking.
    During this week I had that uncomfortable cold feeling in my left foot. When I got back into the house the sock was wet along the side of my foot/little toe.
    OH wears rainproof trousers and I wear full chaps at this time of the year and I’m wondering if wearing them is causing the problem.

I don't think wearing rain gear would have any affect on wellingtons. It's just an unfortunate fact that both Purofort and Bekina are no longer the wellington that they once were.
    I'd easily get a couple of years of full time wear out of either brand at one time. Lucky to get a couple of months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Ditch finder rubber is a false economy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

10% off Skellerup wellingtons at the moment if anyone wants to try them....

https://www.greggcare.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A list of winter wellies with no mention of Purafort Thermo. Yes they look like moon boots & they are quite heavy but they are superbly comfortable & keep your feet warm to -25.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The grip comes from having a very soft heel & sole. I walk a lot on stone & Bekinas barely last 6 months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have always worn Noras but like others, the same quality isn't there anymore, last pair has split in a few places. I'll give them one more go as they are comfortable. Nothing worse than a wet foot.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Using Dunlop Purofort Plus the last while (think first pari came with a farmers journal subscription a few years aga) but have kept with them and all have lasted me very well. Have the Dunlpo Thermo ones as well, but I find the sole has so much insulation that they aren't great for driving machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭The prowler

I wear the Skellerup quatro here, on my second pair and i love them. Great wellie for the milking parlour ( think thats what they were initally designed for) especially on cold wet concrete. Snug and warm with good grip. I suffer alot from back pain but find these give good posture and i dont get tired or sore wearing them. Yes they are a bit heavy but after a few hours you never notice and they are not easily punctured either and even if you do damage them there is repair kits available.

I can never get my head around people skimping on foot wear, especially on farm where you could be easily 10hrs plus in them.

Good bed,good footwear and good tyres on the car, you wont go too far wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

What repair kits are available for Wellingtons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I repair mine with gorilla glue.

Keeping the tube of glue in a screw top jar, prevents the glue in the nozzle from hardening and drying out between uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Just reading through this thread and wondering if I am unusual ?

Think I have a pair of wellies (not a clue what make ) somewhere in the wagon but couldn't tell you the last time they were worn.Cant abide them at all.

Could be maybe a year or more I reckon.Unless the water is knee high then it's workbooks all the way .

Always have 2 or 3 pairs here and just change them if they get wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭The prowler

Scroll down on link provided to see repair kits( they are not actually skellerup specific kits), the replacement insoles for the quatro wellies are very hand too.

The quatro wellies would be alot harder to puncture/tear than normal wellies also as they are a very thick strong rubber.

P.S I ain't no skellerup rep 😄, I just think they are the best thing I have put my feet into and that for me includes good shoes and runners etc

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

• Registered Users Posts: 15 John Farmer

I Think the Dunlop Purofort wellies are Good, they are both comfortable and light weight !!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Best thing i did re wear and tear on feet/knees/tendons was put mats in the parlour.Have a pair of Bekina Steplite X wellies for around 6 weeks and very happy with them.Found the Puroforts were prone to cracking and the Quattros were heavy for me

Advertisement