Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tillage farmers to be paid to plough straw into soil.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    Measures to help setup dung being returned to tillage farms or similar would be more useful I'd imagine? Storage solutions or perhaps wintering solutions where tillage farms could winter stock and keep nutrients on farm. I dunno. Be interesting to hear tillage lads opinion

The majority of available solutions point back to animal manures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The majority of available solutions point back to animal manures.

Gawddawgonnit had it when the answer is mixed farms.
    It's for tillage farms to include some livestock and livestock farms to include some legume cereal mix.

richie123 wrote: »
    And if you don't use those treatments you'll end up with vastly reduced yields.

There's operators not far from me using biologicals and brix measuring and mix species cover crops and they'd be up at the very top in yields per acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Mooooo wrote: »
    Measures to help setup dung being returned to tillage farms or similar would be more useful I'd imagine? Storage solutions or perhaps wintering solutions where tillage farms could winter stock and keep nutrients on farm. I dunno. Be interesting to hear tillage lads opinion

A few lads around here are doing that with beef finishers , straw going into finishing feedlots and dung coming back for the tillage ground, win win alround.

A few lads around here are doing that with beef finishers , straw going into finishing feedlots and dung coming back for the tillage ground, win win alround.

They hardly get the sh1t as well as all the straw?

Fert testing of straw and equivalent straw and sh1t returned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

There's operators not far from me using biologicals and brix measuring and mix species cover crops and they'd be up at the very top in yields per acre.

where are they ?

richie123 wrote: »
    where are they ?

In wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

They hardly get the sh1t as well as all the straw?

Fert testing of straw and equivalent straw and sh1t returned?

It's kinda hard to separate it after it's used, there would also be grain traded between them, the finishers in question would not have enough land of there own to spread on, even with a lot of maize being grown

It's kinda hard to separate it after it's used, there would also be grain traded between them, the finishers in question would not have enough land of there own to spread on, even with a lot of maize being grown
    I know what you're saying. It's just the whole nitrates directive is a crock of s..t.

I bet that finisher above does it to comply with the directive and then after exporting the manure they have to go to merchants and buy fertilizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

gozunda wrote: »

Don't think this policy has been particularly well thought out tbf.

Many of these so called "climate" policies aren't - just think back to the Greens pushing diesel engines and biofuels only a couple of years ago:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I know what you're saying. It's just the whole nitrates directive is a crock of s..t.

I bet that finisher above does it to comply with the directive and then after exporting the manure they have to go to merchants and buy fertilizer.

If he's buying in straw , and ration , he'll have his grazing and silage/ maize platform available to spread his maximum allowance of doing and slurry on , everything else goes to his straw/ grain provider , a nice circular system .
    That's not to say that he doesn't use bag fertilizer .. but if he's treating his manure right, and potentially testing his manures ,then he has the chance to get the best out of it ..
    How would this work out for a farm out way out west buying in straw from across the Shannon , would they be expected to truck the manure back ..?
    Sounds pricey and fairly carbon wastful ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    If he's buying in straw , and ration , he'll have his grazing and silage/ maize platform available to spread his maximum allowance of doing and slurry on , everything else goes to his straw/ grain provider , a nice circular system .
    That's not to say that he doesn't use bag fertilizer .. but if he's treating his manure right, and potentially testing his manures ,then he has the chance to get the best out of it ..
    How would this work out for a farm out way out west buying in straw from across the Shannon , would they be expected to truck the manure back ..?
    Sounds pricey and fairly carbon wastful ....

Dung straw deals generally start from the tillage operator wanting the total straw dung back with no dung staying on the livestock farmer side.

Then you have some who'll consult teagasc on trying for like for like exchanges.

I know some who started out on each of the above craic but both left it and put in slats or cubicles as their own land was suffering or they thought the other was getting the better hand.

The nitrates directive was drawn up considering manure as waste and thus it should be spread far and wide and as thinly as possible on land.

Markcheese wrote: »

If he's smart he won't have anything to do with craic like that. Plant trees this Winter for bedding for the future, in the mean time out winter or buy in woodchip. Take a few years to compost properly but it'd be worth it over time. If there were large scale dung for straw trucking **** back and forth, how long before that comes under someones magnifying glass for pointless diesel burning? Better off being as self sufficient as possible from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

NcdJd wrote: »
    I wonder how much of an uptake there is going to be on this. You can't min till heavy clay soils and trying to plough in large amounts of straw laying on the ground in these circumstances would be difficult. I'd say there will still be a lot of tillage farmers that would rather bale it. I'd love to hear waffletractors view on this.

Also what about fungal diseases being carried over the winter time.

Plus is there would be a large organic matter addition to the soil structure but would think rotted manures would be a better option.

Boy's ground is called so for a reason, much the same as man's ground.
    topdowns vs sumo's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Boy's ground is called so for a reason, much the same as man's ground.
    topdowns vs sumo's

Well funny thing you say there. I'm surrounded by very heavy clay soils. All the tillage lads her have to use ploughs. An outfit that comes from an area of light sandy soil has some rented this year. In comes the lad with a 6 metre mashio rotovator. Soil is fairly heavy at the moment. Off he goes and where does he get ? Nowhere. Just hard wear on both tractor and rotovator.Father called them fckin ejjits they should have done what they are doing now 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Swapped our dung for years in Lew of straw and to keep us out of dero.
    Wont ever do it again, our land suffered.
    The value of the dung well outweighed the potential fine if it wasnt exported

But I do see the thought process behind this idea, tillage land needs organic matter too
    Becomes a cold hard lump with out it, we took on a farm that was exactly that.

Took us 10 years to get it in the right direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's already a directive here to test tillage land every 4(?) years to check the organic matter content and the remedies for that to bring it back up include returning it to grassland.

And there's a restriction on converting permanent pastures into tillage of a maximum of 5% of the available area in any one year so the problems of continuously tillling soils are pretty well known.

By farmers, at any rate.

Advertisement