Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working hours

Options
  • 28-09-2020 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i start work at 1pm and finish at 9pm. I also get a 45min lunch. What time do i finish if i have a half day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dennyk

swanangel wrote: »
    So I work 8:30 - 5 Mon-Fri, don't get paid for 1-2 lunch hour, what time should I leave if I want to take a half day in the PM?

There's no statutory entitlement to a "half-day" under any circumstances, so the answer to that is "you leave when your employer tells you that you may leave..."

If you're talking about time deducted from your annual leave balance in "half-day" increments, it'd come down to how many hours you are normally scheduled to work in a day and how many hours of work you took off. If you're normally contracted to work 8 hours in a day, then a half day of leave would mean taking four hours off, so if you left at 1PM instead of 5PM, that'd be four hours of leave, thus a half-day, so your boss is correct.

Whether you show up at 8:30AM or earlier that day and take an early lunch break of the appropriate length or show up at 9AM and don't take a break before leaving at 1PM is really a separate matter for you and your employer to agree on (since in either case you wouldn't be working for the 6 hours in total that would make a 30-minute meal break mandatory).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Has the op ever come in late or needed to head off 15min early?

Certainly where I am it's give and take and that creates a great atmosphere knowing that if there is an issue with traffic or you need to leave a few minutes early or have to take a little more time for lunch to get some personal business done, it is OK.

Means that if they need you to come in early for a meeting, or stay an extra 30 minutes it's covered.

Happy workplace is a productive workplace.

If you are quibbling over 30 minutes and making a song and dance about it, you are in the wrong job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Just so people are aware the lunch break is only entitled when you work a full day. 30 minutes is the legal right I believe. Any more is the companies discretion but isnt factored into half days.
    You are entitled to a break (10-15 minutes) for a half day.
    This is why they are saying work til 1pm but it should really be 12:45.
    The full work day is 8.5 hours but the .5 is the legal lunch break that disappears on a half day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Our working hours are 9.00 - 5.00pm. One unpaid hour for lunch.

If one of my team looks for a half day I tell them to work the following:

Want the afternoon off? Work 9.00 - 12.30pm
    Want the morning off? Work 1.30pm - 5.00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Our working hours are 9.00 - 5.00pm. One unpaid hour for lunch.

If one of my team looks for a half day I tell them to work the following:

Want the afternoon off? Work 9.00 - 12.30pm
    Want the morning off? Work 1.30pm - 5.00pm

So their ‘working day’ Is 7 hours. If they want and need a half day they should get debited 3.5 hours from their holiday allowance.

The above what you have posted seems very fair and accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

if you work 8 hours half day is 4 hours if you dont get paid for lunch you have 9 hour day but you dont count lunch

if you work 7 hours 3.5 hours is half a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

The way I always do it is that if I'm taking a half day in the afternoon, I leave at the start of lunch (normally 1pm) & if I'm taking a half day in the morning, I come in at 2pm which is after lunch.

The way I always do it is that if I'm taking a half day in the afternoon, I leave at the start of lunch (normally 1pm) & if I'm taking a half day in the morning, I come in at 2pm which is after lunch.
    Why are you entitled to a lunch if you are taking a half day?
    I understand a lot of companies allow it as its just handy but you technically shouldn't get a lunch on a half day.

seannash wrote: »
    Why are you entitled to a lunch if you are taking a half day?
    I understand a lot of companies allow it as its just handy but you technically shouldn't get a lunch on a half day.

I never said I was entitled to a lunch break - I just said that's how I worked it. And it suits myself and my boss. Realistically it means if I take an afternoon off, I'm working 4.5 hours and if I take a morning off, I work 3.5 hours. As I'm more likely than not to take an afternoon off, work are definitely getting the better end of the deal. I think in 4 years I've taken 2 mornings off in total but probably about 20 afternoons.
    To me (& the company I work for) it's about give and take, which I think is a good way to look at it.

• Advertisement

I never said I was entitled to a lunch break - I just said that's how I worked it. And it suits myself and my boss. Realistically it means if I take an afternoon off, I'm working 4.5 hours and if I take a morning off, I work 3.5 hours. As I'm more likely than not to take an afternoon off, work are definitely getting the better end of the deal. I think in 4 years I've taken 2 mornings off in total but probably about 20 afternoons.
    To me (& the company I work for) it's about give and take, which I think is a good way to look at it.

Completely agree and thats how my company operates but as the OP company doesn't seem to operate that way I guess he needs to understand why they aren't giving him a similar arrangement to you or I.
    (PS are you saying you work 4.5 hours from 2pm if you take a morning off? Meaning you finish at 6:30pm?)

seannash wrote: »
    Completely agree and thats how my company operates but as the OP company doesn't seem to operate that way I guess he needs to understand why they aren't giving him a similar arrangement to you or I.
    (PS are you saying you work 4.5 hours from 2pm if you take a morning off? Meaning you finish at 6:30pm?)

But he said they want him to work 8.30am to 1pm, which is exactly what I do when I take an afternoon off. Seems like a similar enough arrangement to me.

No I don't - if I take a morning off I work till 5.30pm normally which is 3.5 hours. As I rarely do that, it doesn't really affect work. Plus the way our annual leave works it literally just takes .5 of a day when you book a half day as opposed to the actual hours.

But he said they want him to work 8.30am to 1pm, which is exactly what I do when I take an afternoon off. Seems like a similar enough arrangement to me.

No I don't - if I take a morning off I work till 5.30pm normally which is 3.5 hours. As I rarely do that, it doesn't really affect work. Plus the way our annual leave works it literally just takes .5 of a day when you book a half day as opposed to the actual hours.
    Ah apologies I got the hours you worked in the afternoon wrong.

Advertisement