Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Face covering exemption question

Options
  • 02-09-2020 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

My 13 year old has a medical exemption from wearing face coverings in secondary school.Today he went into his school for induction.The Principal was aware of his exemption yet she made him sit away from other classmates behind a plastic screen beside the class teacher.
    Surely he should be allowed to sit at his desk like everyone else? Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Seems reasonable to me, why should the other kids be put an increased risk because your child can't wear a mask.

You could ask that a screen is put on his own desk so he can sit with the other students while also being behind a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Seems reasonable to me, why should the other kids be put an increased risk because your child can't wear a mask.

You could ask that a screen is put on his own desk so he can sit with the other students while also being behind a screen.
    So you would be fine with your child being discriminated against because he has a medical issue? I feel he is been victimised and treated like a leper.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

todolist wrote: »
    So you would be fine with your child being discriminated against because he has a medical issue? I feel he is been victimised and treated like a leper.

Schools can bearly open during this Pandemic, they are doing there best. Give them a break. You could always home school him untill this passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

My 13 year old has a medical exemption from wearing face coverings in secondary school.Today he went into his school for induction.The Principal was aware of his exemption yet she made him sit away from other classmates behind a plastic screen beside the class teacher.
    Surely he should be allowed to sit at his desk like everyone else? Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Totally unreasonable for the school to exclude your child on the basis of a medical condition and single them out from everyone else. The whole thing is unreasonable, that is why so many people have difficulty with face coverings because it's a form of compelled speech based on very questionable medical evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I would be fine with the school taking any reasonable steps that are needed in order to keep all students safe.

You seem to want your child to sit mask-less presumably beside another student, why should that other student be discriminated against and made sit beside someone who is more likely to spread the disease.

There's no perfect set up here so all you can do is work with the school to come up with a solution that works for you and also the other students and teachers.

And maybe be a bit less dramatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Seems completely reasonable to me . If he cant wear a mask then he needs to be protected and to protect others

He came home from school very distressed at they way he was treated.He was clearly victimized because he's been picked out and treated differently. I assumed he would just sit at his designated desk like all his other classmates.

Totally unreasonable for the school to exclude your child on the basis of a medical condition and single them out from everyone else. The whole thing is unreasonable, that is why so many people have difficulty with face coverings because it's a form of compelled speech based on very questionable medical evidence.
    I would be fine with the school taking any reasonable steps that are needed in order to keep all students safe.

You seem to want your child to sit mask-less presumably beside another student, why should that other student be discriminated against and made sit beside someone who is more likely to spread the disease.

There's no perfect set up here so all you can do is work with the school to come up with a solution that works for you and also the other students and teachers.

And maybe be a bit less dramatic.
    Why is my son more likely to spread a disease he doesn't have.Should he be made sit on the roof of the bus on the way into school to protect other passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Even if he can't wear a mask, could he perhaps wear a clear plastic visor? It doesn't feel as suffocating, and it would be like his own personal screen, wherever he was sitting. Could be a compromise that would suit both him and the school.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Why is my son more likely to spread a disease he doesn't have.Should he be made sit on the roof of the bus on the way into school to protect other passengers?

Its school policy. We are all doing our bit. Stop trying to be a Karen.

• Advertisement

He came home from school very distressed at they way he was treated.He was clearly victimized because he's been picked out and treated differently. I assumed he would just sit at his designated desk like all his other classmates.

It's incidents like these that should make people question the rational behind these face coverings? "Don't wear a face mask? Ok sit in this corner on your own so we know that you are different to everyone else."

radia wrote: »
    Even if he can't wear a mask, could he perhaps wear a clear plastic visor? It doesn't feel as suffocating, and it would be like his own personal screen, wherever he was sitting. Could be a compromise that would suit both him and the school.

What is a piece of plastic dangling off your face supposed to achieve? I cannot believe how so many parents just lumpenly accept these measures that are being introduced and adversely impacting their children's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cfingers

Unfortunately it's impossible to know if your anyone has Covid until they have symptoms and are tested . At that stage they may have spread it to others.

Your son is more likely to spread the disease as he is not able to wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

My 13 year old has a medical exemption from wearing face coverings in secondary school.

Out of curiosity, why is he exempt? I'm genuinely curious? What condition does he have that prevents him from wearing a mask or face shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I passed a school today with the kids all in their different areas playing.
    As I passed later they were all coming out at home time.
    No social distancing. Plenty of mixing in fact.

Where is the logic?

I don't agree with a child being singled out to sit in a different place because he can't/won't wear mask.
    Schools need to wise up.

Exactly, it makes no sense. If kids were told to wear a leash and collar to school to prevent spread of this unremarkable virus, would parents just go along with what they were told because that's the popular opinion on twitter?

davo2001 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why is he exempt? I'm genuinely curious? What condition does he have that prevents him from wearing a mask or face shield?

Does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

todolist wrote:
    Why is my son more likely to spread a disease he doesn't have.

The problem is that he could have it without anyone realising that he has it, as many people have been asymptomatic yet tested positive. That's exactly why everyone is being asked to wear masks.

Put yourself in the shoes of another parent; their child is wearing their mask to reduce the risk of spreading the virus to your child, and your child is sitting beside them potentially passing on the virus to them, albeit for justified reasons with his medical condition, but this is exactly why he is being seated separately.

It's awful to feel singled out or discriminated against for this, but look at it logically from an outsiders perspective.

The school needs to have a policy in place so that all students who have an exemption not to wear a mask will be treated the same as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Exactly, it makes no sense. If kids were told to wear a leash and collar to school to prevent spread of this unremarkable virus, would parents just go along with what they were told because that's the popular opinion on twitter?

I think that might be the most stupid piece of logic I've ever read on boards, well done.

A mask stops particles from leaving your mouth, hence helping stop the spread of the illness. It's not rocket science.

I passed a school today with the kids all in their different areas playing.
    As I passed later they were all coming out at home time.
    No social distancing. Plenty of mixing in fact.

Where is the logic?

I don't agree with a child being singled out to sit in a different place because he can't/won't wear mask.
    Schools need to wise up.

Not only that, kids have been roaming the streets and greens all over Ireland unfettered for the last 6 months - wrestling, playing football, dragging each other, mixing with each other. Where is the impact and "cases" from all this communal transmission?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Would you ever go and get a serious dose of reality. Jesus christ, I've heard it all now.

I stand corrected.. .. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I’m sorry but it seems absolutely outrageous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Face coverings are medical opinion. A virus with a worldwide death rate of 800K is not unremarkable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Why would parents just go along with something that is just stupid?

Whether you like it or not, or agree or not, a mask helps with stopping the spread the covid (amongst other things e.g. social distancing, washing hands etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

amdublin wrote: »
    Why would parents just go along with something that is just stupid?

Whether you like it or not, or agree or not, a mask helps with stopping the spread the covid (amongst other things e.g. social distancing, washing hands etc)
    Stop speaking sense god dammit!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

OP. what were you expecting? The school have to take precautions. Your son could be infected and spreading covid or be at risk of getting it himself. Would you really be comfortable with no alternative precaution to the mask being taken?

If my child was in school with yours, I would not be happy with them sitting beside a maskless child. Sorry

It is a matter of health at the end of the day. I won't apologise for not wanting my child to be exposed to your child

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

To be honest this type of response does nothing to help your argument.

Look at it from other parents point of view too.... Alot of parents have really wrestled with sending their kids back to school, but risk v reward school won out. Do you think they'll be overly pleased if their child was seated beside a non mask wearing child for the full day?

The mask is to mitigate the risk of picking up and spreading the virus, so unfortunately your child not wearing the mask will be seen as the "weak link" in the class and a risk factor.... You may not like to be seen that way, but that's how many parents will perceive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Kid sounds as though they'd rather wear a mask than be ridiculed. Try it....what harm?

I don't like it and it doesn't stop the spread of the virus. Why do you think a dirty piece on unregulated polyester would stop the spread of the virus?

So what, because you "don't like it", we do nothing? We are all taking lots of different steps - a mask is just one of them.

What's next? You "don't like" people washing their hands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It does seem unfair on your child but the problem is that the school needs to think of all the children. I know you think that your child doesn't have it but you don't know if they have it. It can be spread without anyone knowing.

I know it seems very unfair but it would be unfair on the other children if the school didn't take precautions.

Advertisement