Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a bus driver

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 42 Verified rep I'm a Bus Driver, AMA

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Hope this isn't the wrong place but what actually happened on the 18 a couple of years ago or is that top secret I'm genuinely curious to find out now?

As I replied to the OP asking this,who apparently,is also a Busdriver,I've no factual answer to their question,which then means entering into gossip,conjecture,and simple curiosity,which is not what the thread is about.

You yourself earlier posted about your own interest in,and possible desire to go Busdriving,and keeping clear of tittle-tattle and canteen talk is one of the best pieces of advice you can ever be given,applicable within any group based environment.

Is it actually true that some drivers refused to drive buses during the European elections for Gemma O'Doherty? I didn't think drivers just like most passengers would even look at the ads on the side of buses. Does it actually ever happen that drivers refuse to drive buses due to a moral objection to the ads that are on them?

Also what's your opinion on spotters SG323?

I have no idea whether it's true or not,but I most likely drove Ms O'Doherty around Dublin on many occasions.
    I'm not aware of many Drivers who carry out surveys of the adverts on their buses,but there may well be some,but I'm not one of them.

Apart from noticing them snapping away at some locations,I've no opinion good or bad about them...they've never interfered with my Driving or caused any problems.

A passenger places their Leap card on your underpowered and overworked Wayfarer machine to pay their €1.55 fare. You press the relevant button, and they take the card away after a reasonable amount of time, but before the transaction has been processed...

Do you call them back?

If it's reasonably possible to get their attention,then yes I will ask them to return and retry,I will use my own judgement,but yes I do see it as part of my duties to make reasonable efforts to ensure they are processed.

That does not mean I will turn somersaults or start roaring down the back of the bus,to get their attention,it's all about what is reasonable.

Probably a silly question and apologies if already asked, but i haven't seen it:

Did you set out to be a bus driver? A friend of mine's dad drove a bus, and my friend, during school, was obsessed with driving buses. Never actually did it in the end though.

Or did you just happen to fall into it?

Also, despite the AMA you're doing now, if you clock out and go home, and someone mentions buses, do you eagerly discuss the ins and outs of the bus world, or do you wish an early death on the person for talking to you about 'work' on your down time?

Do you read up on the new bus models coming in, read online enthusiast forums, look at pics, etc. or is a bus just another random vehicle to potter about in and you don't actually care about it beyond it being comfortable?

Yeah me too. :o

Nah It was'nt my chosen path in life,but at one point it arrived along just when I was waiting for something :)

No family connection,no friends in the job...just something flexible and reasonably well paid..pay the mortgage,put food on the table.

I would have some degree of interest in Buses and equipment,which after all I might have to operate some day,however that would'nt stretch to taking photo's or noting registrations.

If the Bus topic comes up in conversation then I'll chip in,but it's a Job to me,one which I enjoy and I would'nt ever get elevated so much over it to wish harm on anybody bringing it up.

If I did start to feel that way,I'd get out of the Job as fast as I could.

In the doing the dirt I meant get it on.....

No,'fraid not.

• Advertisement

john boye wrote: »
    Ever had a dispute with the company and had full support from the union only for them to throw you under the (actual?) bus at the eleventh hour? Seems to be a common theme

No,never had that happen to me.

It may well be a common theme,but it never occurred to me,nor to most of my immediate colleagues.
    Often,things that "seem" to be something,may in fact,be nothing at all like what they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No,'fraid not.

I did I'm afraid to say and it wasn't pretty.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

No,'fraid not.

Or at least not that you've noticed :D

Has any complaint to Dublin Bus (about drivers, speeding, etc.) ever been dealt with or do they all go directly into the bin?

I have to clarify that I'm not a spokesperson for Dublin Bus,or any other operator.
    Everything I post is my personal Opinion.

That said,I hope you can see how no answer I can give could reasonably answer your question.

All operators have complaints procedures,and these have never been more easily accessed,so I dunno, perhaps it'd be more productive to direct these observations to those who have that responsibility ?

You yourself earlier posted about your own interest in,and possible desire to go Busdriving,and keeping clear of tittle-tattle and canteen talk is one of the best pieces of advice you can ever be given,applicable within any group based environment.

Good advice thanks for it. Yeah I'm fully aware of the tittle tattle being spread that goes on and it's a problem with social media these days and not just in the bus world.

• Advertisement

How do you deal with people asking to be let out at the lights?

How do you deal with people asking to be let out at the lights?

Oddly enough,it's something also dying out as people generally have become so risk averse that such behaviour is alien to them.

Today,it's only the odd old-timer who'd ask you to "Throw uz out there pal" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Craggo

What is the purpose of the little window on some double deckers that people sitting at the top front can look down through and see the driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Craggo wrote: »
    What is the purpose of the little window on some double deckers that people sitting at the top front can look down through and see the driver?

The periscope, with the convex mirror above it? I haven't seen one of them on a bus in years. All cameras now.

The periscope, with the convex mirror above it? I haven't seen one of them on a bus in years. All cameras now.

The ex DB RVs and the AVs from 2000 now with private operators would still have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Do ye ever feel like giving a go ahead, for old times sake?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Craggo

Oh, that’s what it’s for? Had no idea lol.

Nothing worse on a wet day all sorts would come running down that onto anyone under namely the driver...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Does it wreck your buzz if someone keeps ringing the bell down the back of the bus ?

liam7831 wrote: »
    Does it wreck your buzz if someone keeps ringing the bell down the back of the bus ?

Only rings once.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Used to remember when I was a child on the old Olympians and RAs etc looking down it followed by the driver coming over the PA giving out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Used to remember when I was a child on the old Olympians and RAs etc looking down it followed by the driver coming over the PA giving out :p

"I can see up your nose"

"I can see up your nose"

No no no..... I can see up your trousers....

Worst case would be when someone would take a pee upstairs then this would make its way down...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hi - One of the most shocking things I've ever seen in Ireland was an attack on a black bus driver (Dublin bus).

I was sitting on the bus with my then 1 year old, and even for me sitting there and not involved, it was fairly terrifying.

Against that, the drivers calm but strong reaction was incredibly impressive.

Do you get training to deal with thugs?

And in general, do you find that passengers appreciate the service, or do you generally perceive a lack of gratitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Are you glad to see the back of the AX buses?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

In your opinion how dangerous is the average cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 129000000

Why do a company like Bus Eireann who are 'screaming out for drivers' reject a large number of applicants despite the low level of interest in the job in the modern day, also why must someone who was previously rejected wait a minimum of 12 months to reapply.

I'm a former coach driver myself for a private operator, is this something you will consider once you retire from your current position.

I'd imagine they have either reached there quota or have looked at the CV and decided you would not be a ideal candidate, I am guessing you are from Cork obviously by the username they would have a smaller number of new recruits as say Dublin if you wanted to get a job in BE your better to apply to Dublin were they need more drivers but beware of the "long days"

liam7831 wrote: »

No longer an issue.
    Since 2012 the Audible Bell only rings once per deck,then it defaults to a flashing light on the instrument panel.

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Hi - One of the most shocking things I've ever seen in Ireland was an attack on a black bus driver (Dublin bus).

I was sitting on the bus with my then 1 year old, and even for me sitting there and not involved, it was fairly terrifying.

Against that, the drivers calm but strong reaction was incredibly impressive.

Do you get training to deal with thugs?

And in general, do you find that passengers appreciate the service, or do you generally perceive a lack of gratitude.

I can't speak for all operators,but the larger ones do provide such training/advice under the Customer Service heading.

Plenty of gratitude and basic civility is the norm,I dont need people to be OTT about it,as I get paid to do a Job,and,to the best of my ability I do it,and then go home.The VAST majority of Bus Users are 100% appreciative and decent folks,who never get involved in any ill tempered behaviour.

Behaviours which some appear to feel is commonplace,is in fact,NOT the norm in an average Busdrivers working day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement