Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a bus driver

• 15-07-2019 5:28pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next guest is a bus driver who has 25 years experience working as a state sector employee, mainly on the city services but also on some provincial work out of Dublin.

He is here to answer your questiosn about driving a bus for a living.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Why do all BE drivers salute each other?

:D

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I've just deleted one post, please do not try to identify the AMA guest or cards will have to come out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,009 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What’s your opinion on bus connects, particularly the radial and orbital routes that (probably won’t) be built? Also were bus drivers consulted by the nta on any of the bus connects plans?

• Company Representative Posts: 42 Verified rep I'm a Bus Driver, AMA

tom1ie wrote: »
    What’s your opinion on bus connects, particularly the radial and orbital routes that (probably won’t) be built? Also were bus drivers consulted by the nta on any of the bus connects plans?

BusConnects,in my opinion,represents one of the few (perhaps only) comprehensive reviews,and subsequent reports on Dublins Bus Services.

It is arguable,that neither the Government,Dept of Transport,Dept of the Environment,or the NTA,had any real comprehension of what the BusConnects commission might result in,and as a result have been roundly flabbergasted,at both the contents of Walker's report,and the hue & cry brought to bear upon it from the moment of it's release.

It has largely escaped public notice,that Jarrett Walker's report was compiled with the State's plans for Dublin 2040 very much to the fore.
    Predictive estimates will always vary,but figures of up to an extra 1,000,000 people falling within the Greater Dublin Area (GDA),which if current personal transportation trends are followed,will result in a totally unsustainable travel patterns for both the new and existing population.

Irish Public Administration has never been overly burdened with forward thinkers,and those we have had,tended to be sought out and banished before they managed to upset the status-quo applecart.

As a consequence,we can already see how some significant distance has rapidly been placed between BusConnect's creator,his team and the report's Commissioner,the NTA.

So your "probably won't be built" comment is probably correct,given that JW's own team were largely left unsupported in the initial (and very important) revelation process,which resulted in some rather slickly managed counter campaigns being mounted against this sort of thing.

Walker's team did indeed engage in consultation with the "stakeholders" in Dublins Bus Service provision,which included Operators,Local Authorities,State Agencies and Trades Union representatives.
    In addition Busdrivers,as individuals,if they felt motivated,had full access to the Public Consultation Process (One of the largest such consultation processes in the State's history,and,as far as I'm aware,the first such process directly focused upon the Public Bus Service).

Possibly had we got a DUBLIN Transport Authority,as was originally enivisaged back in the late 1980's,then a tighter focused approach might have had better results,but that's as may be,because we have what we have and thus,can only hope that somebody can appreciate the Bus Service Provision chaos which faces our Capital City,if we continue on our comfortably familiar way.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Why do all BE drivers salute each other?:D

200.webp?cid=790b76115d2cbc074637727273531051&rid=200.webp .....well,perhaps not ALL ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,239 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Do you like the job or just see it as something that pays the bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

What’s the strangest thing that’s ever been left on your bus?

Ever drive back to the depot to discover somebody asleep in the back row?

When you’re driving your own car do you subconsciously make extra allowances for manoeuvre like when you’re driving a bus...not sure if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What is the strangest incident you've encountered on you're bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone ever attacked you?

Have you put anyone off?

Have you been in many crashes?

Have you ever been sacked?

Has anyone ever died on your bus?

Have you ever knocked someone down?

How do you find the public treat you?

Did you only plan working for the summer and leave after?

How do you cope doing without toilet facilities for 5 to 7 hours without....?

Have you ever had a shoe box left with dirty old shoes stuffed in with dirty underwear, t shirt, sun glasses and some other junk.....????

• Advertisement

Have you ever had a shoe box left with dirty old shoes stuffed in with dirty underwear, t shirt, sun glasses and some other junk.....????

That’s very specific? Did you lose one?

Collie D wrote: »
    That’s very specific? Did you lose one?

Ha a little wee came out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

What does marked in mean?

Do you like the job or just see it as something that pays the bills?

Good question, I would suggest that it's a job you must like,but if one can manage that,then it can also pay the bills,without sending you crazy.

At the end of the day,it's a JOB,just like any other,but with some quite challenging aspects not found in other areas.

It's not to everybody's liking,and those who find they're not liking it,really should consider what their options are,for their own sake.

Life really is far too short to spend campaigning against issues which don't personally suit,when the same issues cause no difficulties at all,for many others ?

Woden wrote: »
    What does marked in mean?

It means the driver is permanently on one route (or duty type) and works that permanently.

It is commonly found in larger operations,with certain varations depending on the location,whether here in Ireland or abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

How long are your Shifts?

Do you have to pass the mini bus licence first before doing the bus licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

What do you think of people who don't say thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Both Australian & Japanese bus drivers went on strike last year in a bid to increase job security, increase wages and improve rostering. To do this, they completed all their routes, but refused to take any fares. They still served the public who relied on public transport to get around their daily lives.

Do you think this was a better or worse idea to what happened in Ireland recently where the country came to a near standstill and traffic problems caused wholesale for what really ended up at the same result but with less hassle and a much worse public opinion of bus drivers as a result.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Both Australian & Japanese bus drivers went on strike last year in a bid to increase job security, increase wages and improve rostering. To do this, they completed all their routes, but refused to take any fares. They still served the public who relied on public transport to get around their daily lives.

Do you think this was a better or worse idea to what happened in Ireland recently where the country came to a near standstill and traffic problems caused wholesale for what really ended up at the same result but with less hassle and a much worse public opinion of bus drivers as a result.

Dublin Bus drivers did this about ten years ago (maybe more).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Thanks for doing this AMA. This is a sector I'm very interested in and one which I may pursue a career in future years whether as a bus/train driver or working in public transport in general.

Do you reccomend the job for a younger person as I find it seems that a lot of bus drivers are older guys particualry the DB however i have noticed that Go-Ahead seem to have a number of younger drivers working for them?

How difficult is to drive a bus compared to car, would it be very daunting at first for example?

Which shift do you prefer late or early?

What's the best and worst part of your job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

How many cyclists have you run over?

My work involves a lot of driving (a car). Thankfully, I have a lot of leniency in my work and schedule, unlike a bus driver who has a timetable to keep.

I'd say at least once a fortnight, I'd have to pull into the hard shoulder and get an hours sleep. As someone driving all day, every day, do you not often find yourself fighting to keep your eyes open? If you do find yourself in this kind of a situation, do your company give you a free pass and let you swap drivers or buses so you can come off the road for a little while or end the day early? or do you get a bollocking and told to keep at it (making you not want to mention it in general?).

I appreciate the latter is much more dangerous, but also, presumably, a much more realistic situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Do you find newer buses more reliable these days or were the older ones just as good ?

What's the highest mileage you've seen on one ? The old AVs and AXs in Dublin Bus must easily have more then a million kms.....

Do you feel Dublin in general could do with more single deckers ?

Were the bendy buses years ago in Dublin a complete f*** up as some people have claimed in your opinion ?

And finally do you think that public transport should be cash-less ? As in Leap cards only.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,675 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There will no longer be any need for professional drivers like bus drivers, lorry drivers, taxi drivers or delivery drivers within the next 10-15 years or so. Autonomous vehicles will be much cheaper and much safer and will take over.

I guess you will be retired by then, but is this a hot topic amongst your younger colleagues? All of them will lose their jobs soon enough.

mikeym wrote: »
    How long are your Shifts?

Do you have to pass the mini bus licence first before doing the bus licence?

How long is a piece of string :) ?

Individual duties vary enormously,varying from c.5.5 hrs to 13 hrs in terms of "spread" (not actual driving time).

Human nature dictates that you will mostly hear of the Long duties,and perhaps occasionally see a mention of the shorter one's.

The D class licence can be accquired without having to do the D1,subject to the age requirements being met.

Checkout www.ndls.ie for the details.

Wheety wrote: »
    What do you think of people who don't say thanks?

It does'nt really bother me.

I deal with hundreds of people per shift,some require a personal touch,most simply wish to get transported safely and as rapidly as possible to their destination.

However,it is fair to suggest that in general Irish busdrivers are interacted with to a greater degree than Busdrivers in other large Cities,who may operate far more automated fare collection and boarding systems.

FitzShane wrote: »

Aside currently,from their being no specific threat to Job security,and reasonably good conditions,the issue of No-Fare days was floated many years back.

The Busdriver does not actually own the vehicle he/she operates.

Any employee deliberately refusing to carry out their contracted duties leaves themselves open to significant risk,including legal issues relating to insurance.

I would imagine that an Operator would not allow their vehicles to leave the depot in the event of an organized refusal to accept fares.

Public Opinion is remarkably fickle,and sometimes we who occupy the Internet,have to step back and remind ourselves that we do not represent the generality of that opinion,but rather a (vocal) sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Do you have to do mandatory health checks?

Can a bad medical report force you off the road? I’m thinking cardio issues as an obvious example

• Registered Users Posts: 30,129 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Did you ever get anybody famous on your bus?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

With the inevitable introduction of driverless cars and buses in the future, how do you think it will be handed by the state and operators? Could we see a scenario where the government would rather avoid trade union chaos and not introduce it on public transport or could we see an innovative approach to public transport as a result?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement