Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a workplace 'toxic'?

• 12-04-2018 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

For those of you who have worked in what you would call a 'toxic' workplace, what makes them 'toxic'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

For those of you who have worked in what you would call a 'toxic' workplace, what makes them 'toxic'?

The mindset of the people

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jim salter wrote: »
    The mindset of the people

The mindset of management more than people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

The politics. Especially the politics surrounding long serving members of staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dog walker 1234

There is no right answer. Sometimes the politics, attitude of certain people, cliques etc. It all can be traced back to poor management.

The attitude at the top dictated whether problems are dealt with or allowed to fester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭franglan

Lack of mutual respect between different business units in large organisations. People going for jobs purely for financial gain rather than for the benefit of customer (in public bodies) /interest/passion for area of vacsncy/other factors outside of pay packet only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Begrudgery and jealousy.

There are certain people who will always moan and snipe about other folks success and career development.

The same people will rarely make any effort or initiative to improve their own lot - and can't stand anybody else who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

some people are just c u next tuesdays, not just in work, in life in general.

One of these can destroy a whole workplace

as my mother said a whole barrel of good apples wont make a bad apple good but one bad apple will destroy a barrel of good ones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

It definitely comes down to management. We are all adults and we need to take responsibility for our own actions for sure but people who bully, slack off, throw others under the bus or take credit for their work can only be dealt with by management.
    And if management shrug their shoulders or look the other way, that's your strongest sign of a toxic workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Not always management.

A long time ago we had one bad apple who turned against us, constant sniping and talking to other staff about us.

The lies and mistruths told we unreal, we only found out how bad it was after she left.

Made our life hell, my wife didnt want to go to work in her own business, turned other staff against us with her lies and it was only after she was gone that the staff members realised that it was a pack of lies she told them.

Very hard to get rid of someone like that without exposing yourself to a claim, horrible time for us.

One bad apple can easily rot the whole barrel if you dont get it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Human beings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Crap technology and IT systems. Most office workers spend 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 hours a day in front of their computer, and yet often, the technology provided for them is not fit for purpose.

Lotus Notes was a major factor in leaving jobs for me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

People
    Specifically those that seem to think that the world, work and every one else owes them something and they are somehow better than the job they are currently in. There are a few prize specimens in my office.

Poor management adds to the problem as in they let this develop and fester rather than cutting them off at the ankles and moving them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

_Brian wrote: »
    People
    Specifically those that seem to think that the world, work and every one else owes them something

not every "toxic environment" is toxic.

To quote the great philosopher

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view"

Rarely on boards do we hear both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Macker1

Soft Management that allows poor performance and behaviors to permeate in the dept. Annoys the hell out of good employees to the point of giving up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Bullying. A notoriously thorny issue to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

Bullying. A notoriously thorny issue to deal with.

Agree. There a lot of bullies who know how to do it in a way that it very hard to prove, pin point etc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I can deal with rudeness but one thing I hated at work was cliquey colleagues who freeze one or two members of the team out of everything. If I sat down beside any of them at lunchtime in the canteen they'd all go quiet. It was very toxic and I wouldn't like to experience it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Newhomebuyer

Divide and rule concept. The management thinks the employees do not talk amongst themselves. Also racism. I am facing in my current job. Some people are favoured over others due to sling color. It's a fact.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Divide and rule concept. The management thinks the employees do not talk amongst themselves. Also racism. I am facing in my current job. Some people are favoured over others due to sling color. It's a fact.

What about perception?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Too many middle aged women. Talking from experience.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    What about perception?

What about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Management who do not manage but are only desk jockeys.

Management who do not lead by example.

Management who expect flexibility and staff going over and above routinely but show zero flexibility in dealing with and facilitating staff not routinely but not even the ODD time that they are requested to be a little flexible themselves.

Management who point the finger but are unwilling to accept blame when things don’t go to plan in the team / workgroup as a result of policies and decisions they implement.

Management who at the H&S meeting are talking the talk re: health and safety and pointing the finger about a fire door being left open but spit the dummy when asked why it’s almost 3 years since the last fire drill.. why fire exit number xx is still jammed shut 8 months after it was flagged. Why the lights in the car park are still out around the same time having been highlighted a year previously.

Managers whose greatest achievements are being able to simultaneously walk around with a hi-vis , pen hanging out of their gob and a clip board for 6 hours, and get away with it.

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I can deal with rudeness but one thing I hated at work was cliquey colleagues who freeze one or two members of the team out of everything. If I sat down beside any of them at lunchtime in the canteen they'd all go quiet. It was very toxic and I wouldn't like to experience it again.

True. Even rudeness and snide comments should not be tolerated at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Racism and xenophobia. There are well know companies priding themselves of the diversity of their workforce (and their tolerance to all races, statuses, etc) and a significant number of that workforce from other races and nationalities are leaving precisely because of that.

Their human resource department is know to use NDA in the worst cases and solicitors in the area will push you for one of them which makes you wonder what is going on them.

People leave without signing one but you have to leave quietly to avoid issues down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Human beings

Yep. I've heard of these guys. They tend to make life miserable for the rest of the animal kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

lots of bitter non-managers on this thread, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Jim Root wrote: »

Does anyone REALLY want to be an office manager? :D A huge amount of them have no idea what their reports work actually is. Especially in tech roles, the manager can be replaced tomorrow while backfilling key tech roles takes ages.

Anyway, to answer the OP, bad management (especially "new" managers) can be toxic af.

Jim Root wrote: »

What makes you think only non managers are bitter???
    Brag much?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Low performers affect the morale of everyone else. Low performers undermine the concept of teamwork.
    The performance needs to improve or they need to go.

When I worked in the public service, I actually saw low performers or poor team players being promoted in order to move them on to a different section.
    It's why so many managers in the public service are so poor. That and the absence of real performance appraisals. It's a tick-the-box exercise.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Children, they look like adults but they're still children.

Advertisement