Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Frongoch internment camp.

• 07-04-2010 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, Am doing family history and have come across a story that two of my uncles were involved in the 1916 Rising. They were interned in Frongoch internment camp. I would like to know if there is a list of prisoners available anywhere.
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

There was a good documentary about Frongoch on the other night. I think your best bet may be the Irish National Archives - military archives section :

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/contactus/MilitaryArchivesClosureLetter.html

however they are currently temporarily closed. Hopefully someone may have a better suggestion before they re-open. I am not aware of any online sources for this information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

if you can get a copy of "FRONGOCH . University of Revolution" by Sean O'Mahony . the appendices have a list of internies county by county . if you put up their names and counties i'll see if they are listed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Morlar wrote: »
    There was a good documentary about Frongoch on the other night. I think your best bet may be the Irish National Archives - military archives section :

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/contactus/MilitaryArchivesClosureLetter.html

however they are currently temporarily closed. Hopefully someone may have a better suggestion before they re-open. I am not aware of any online sources for this information.

go to the history videos/clip thread, there is a tg4 documentary on Frognoch there. Its via youtube but the whole show can be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

Dalcassian wrote: »
    I would like to know if there is a list of prisoners available anywhere.

Try

http://www.theeasterrising.eu/080WhoWasWhere/RollOfHonour.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 telula

there is some wonderful info in the National Museum at Collins Barracks. You can find where your uncles were positioned on the day of The Easter Rising with just a few small details. they have touch-screen monitors that you can use yourself.
    they have a small display with items from Frongoch, including decorated clay pipes.
    Also they have autograph books with entries by many of the prisoners.
    the staff in there were really helpful for me
    I have a similar situation and am currently looking into it. if you made any progress with your enquires id appreciate some tips :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

There is also some Frongoch prison art on display at Kilmainham. Here are a few pics :

http://www.militaria-archive.com/museums/kilmainham/index.html

Kilmainham_Gaol_57.jpg

Kilmainham_Gaol_62.jpg

Kilmainham_Gaol_63.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

for a list of names and locations try :

http://irishmedals.org/gpage.html

The 1916 Rebellion Handbook is another good source listing those killed, buried, arrested/deported/released etc.

Why not put your Uncles name up and see what the forum delivers re them?

Just finished reading Uncommon Valour by Paul O'Brien dealing with the South Dublin Union. Worth a read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

What do you do with a load of defeated revolutionaries? Thats right, throw them all in on top of each other in a confined space.

Some of the best ideas of the war of independence were cooked up in those cells ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Thank you, John Doyle. Found my uncle there. No problem. fantastic site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Is that excellent list posted above a comprehensive list? I know of somebody who was interned in Frongoch but had apparently been party to reading the proclamation and other activity in a town in Co. Kildare. The list above only lists people in Dublin, although I note his (common) name appears several times on it.

Would anybody have a list of the Frongoch people and where they were from?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Dionysus wrote: »
    Is that excellent list posted above a comprehensive list? I know of somebody who was interned in Frongoch but had apparently been party to reading the proclamation and other activity in a town in Co. Kildare. The list above only lists people in Dublin, although I note his (common) name appears several times on it.

Would anybody have a list of the Frongoch people and where they were from?

Thanks.

What town?Was it Maynooth?

Nhead wrote: »
    What town?Was it Maynooth?

Athy.

Would anybody have a list of the Frongoch people and where they were from? .

Yes I have the full
    • The National Museums' "Roll of Honour",
    • Arrests ,transfers, detention and release lists from Irish & English Prisons.
    • Frongoch Camp in North Wales "Roll Call"
    • the "Statements to the Bureau of Military History"
    • The Catholic Bulletin 1916 - 1919 "Easter Week" articles on the killed in Action
    • Court Martial results for May 1916
    • Internment of Bodies in the Dublin Cemeteries
    all in one database

Just ask

PS I found 15 John Doyle & another 10 J Doyle entries, I would guess covering 12 different John / J Doyles

Robus wrote: »
    Yes I have the full
    • The Catholic Bulletin 1916 - 1919 "Easter Week" articles on the killed in Action
    all in one database

Just ask

PS I found 15 John Doyle & another 10 J Doyle entries, I would guess covering 12 different John / J Doyles

Hi Robus, on that page above there is a large number of "page temporarily removed" links so I cannot search alphabetically for somebody. I'll pm you.

Hi Robus, on that page above there is a large number of "page temporarily removed" links so I cannot search alphabetically for somebody. I'll pm you.

I only have a sample of the first page on the site, it is not a searchable database on the web, I have replied to the p.m.’s that I received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Athy.

Ah I never knew that and I'm only up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

Yes I have the full
    all in one database
    Hi Robus,are there any Doyles from kilkenny mentioned on thos

Hi Robus,are there any Doyles from kilkenny mentioned on thos

There are over 130 Doyle entries, most with no location but information based on their name, do you have a first name?

Hi Robus,
    Have you got the Frongoch Camp "Roll Call"?
    Could you check it for a Michael O'Brien from Harold's Cross and let me know on a PM?
    I would be very greatful.
    Cheers
    Joe

Sorry, It should be, Hi mirror mirror! :o:o:o

• Advertisement

Dalcassian wrote: »
    Sorry, It should be, Hi mirror mirror! :o:o:o

:confused:

Hi Robus, So do you have the Frongoch Camp "Roll Call"?
    Could you check it for a Michael O'Brien from Harold's Cross and let me know on a PM?
    Please :)
    Joe

The Irish prisoners own roll call, as distinct from the guard’s roll call, was compiled apparently on Collins instructions, by three senior camp figures. Two thirds of which are in the National library and I ended up accidently purchasing the missing third from the third compilers family. The English list has been commercially published.

Sorry I don’t show any Michael O’Brien at Frongoch, other listings are below.
    • · O'Brien Michael GPO, O'Connell Street Garrison, See the "Roll of Honour" at the National Museum
    • · O'Brien Michael a Member IRA and Flying Column, Wexford, 1921 ,made a "Witness Statement" number 1158 to The "Bureau of Military History"
    • · O'Brien Michael Four Courts Garrison , See the "Roll of Honour" at the National Museum
    • · O'Brien Ml J. of Dublin was released between the 4th and 7th June 1916 following a full military investigation.
    • · O'Brien Ml. of 29 Guild Street, North Wall: Occupation Artist ,was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Knutsford Detention Barracks, England on 30th April 1916
    PS what’s “ Hi Mirror Mirror” mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 irishmedals

Yes I have the full
    Robus, does the Internment of Bodies in the Dublin Cemeteries give any details of the burial place of a Mrs Margaret Naylor who was shot dead on the 29th or 30th of April 1916 while crossing Ring’s end Drawbridge. I have all the details of her death but am unable to locate her grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 irishmedals

Yes I have the full
    all in one database

Just ask

Robus, does the Internment of Bodies in the Dublin Cemeteries give thelocation of the grave of a Mrs Margaret Naylor who was shot dead in Ringsend on the 29th or 30th of April 1916.

Robus, does the Internment of Bodies in the Dublin Cemeteries give thelocation of the grave of a Mrs Margaret Naylor who was shot dead in Ringsend on the 29th or 30th of April 1916.

Sorry no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alice8

Hi Robus

any chance you could look up Samuel or Sonny Hill from Dublin?

He was a law searcher who apparently had no part in the Rising, but was caught up in the arrests and shipped off to an internment camp. When he got back his disapproving employers fired him!

Thanks a million, if you get a chance that would be great.

alice8 wrote: »
    Hi Robus

any chance you could look up Samuel or Sonny Hill from Dublin?

He was a law searcher who apparently had no part in the Rising, but was caught up in the arrests and shipped off to an internment camp. When he got back his disapproving employers fired him!

Thanks a million, if you get a chance that would be great.

Hill Const See Army & RIC Crown Death's in Who's Who on 02/07/21
    Hill Dr. Georges, Chatterton, (CO904/203/186), Dublin Castle Special Branch Files
    Hill H.O.H. see page 44 of "Who’s Who in the War Of Independence"
    Hill L/Cpl See Army & RIC Crown Death's in Who's Who on 18/06/21
    Hill Sam H of 18 Lr Ormond Quay :Occupation Legal Searcher was received at Wakefield Detention Barracks on 6th May 1916 from Ballsbridge
    Hill SH. of Dublin was released on 29th May 1916 following a full military investigation

I will try more lists later on for you.

Sorry no more matches found, nor any other volunteers from Ormond quay found (neighbours were often in the same company’s and can provide research help from common witness statements)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alice8

That's smashing, that was him alright - Samuel Hamilton Hill of Ormond Quay. I don't think he was actually involved in the volunteers or the fighting at all - just in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Thanks again, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Hill Const See Army & RIC Crown Death's in
    Hill SH. of Dublin was released on 29th May 1916 following a full military investigation

A challenge to all readers, has anyone ever found the “full military investigation” reports. I believe that volunteers were moved from Frongoch to Wandsworth prison, “tried” and returned to Frongoch. Are they archived in Kew National archives?

Advertisement