Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safety Razors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Lads,

I'm seriously thinking of going back to the Mach 3. I was hoping that the shaving rash on my neck would be gone by now. I shaved on Wed morning and I shaved again this morning, and my neck was quite bad after the shave this morning. Usually, I would only shave once every 3/4 days and I thought that I might be making progress, but after the shave this morning I know I'm not. I've ordered a bottle of Tend Skin, so hopefully that might help. I'll give the DE razor a few more weeks to see if things improve.

I was having a few problems on one cheek and my neck initially. The cheek issue turned out to be a combination of sensitivity to some products and overvigorous preparation - too much against the grain scrubbing before the shave. The neck issue a was sensitivity to particular blades and poor technique\overshaving.

A later change to straight razors sorted out all my neck issues because the technique is quite different ( mostly WTG or across, rarely against and variable angles of attack) but the results are fantastic with a properly sharpened blade. I won't recommend moving to a straight but I would suggest a couple of things that might help:

- if you are not experiencing product sensitivity make sure the lather is well hydrated, lubricating and not drying out too soon. If it is a little try mixing soap and cream or adding something like a drop or two of glycerine to the lather mix.

- don't gauge BBS during the shave. A slight roughness can be normal and the skin will settle after the cold rinse and feel smoother. Going for a BBS feel on hot skin can lead to over-shaving. After a while you will sense what level of roughness on hot skin will turn out to be a very smooth finish when the skin has cooled off.

- Check the direction of growth on the neck - in my case the bottom area grows almost exactly opposite to the rest so there is an area where there is a clear change from WTG to ATG. If I'm not careful to change direction\angle in the right place I'll get a slight rash\redness especially if I'm shaving every 24-28 hours and forget where the demarcation is.

- you might need a different blade on the neck. If you have two razors use one with a milder blade for the problem areas.

- reduce pressure and increase the stretch so the skin is as smooth and as flat as possible.

- check the growth angle on the neck - it might be that it is more prone to grow 'along' the skin rather than 'out' at a steeper angle. If this is the case shave for appearance and not smoothness and avoid against the grain.
    For presentation purposes a skin toned talc can disguise any slight stubble remaining and reduce friction if you have to wear a tie.

Finally - reduce the pressure and change the blade every 5 shaves. Most rash issues are due to too much pressure and dull blades.

barney4001 wrote: »
    i thought this type of shaver was obsolete years ago

All depends on which part of the world you live in and your susceptibility to marketing campaigns.

The replacement products may be common but they are far from superior except in the profit making potential for the producers and retailers.

Niche market - probably. Obsolete - far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Niche market - probably. Obsolete - far from it.

A growing niche market. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I couldn't resist this, especially after a few beers:

PICT8154.jpg

PICT8150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

That looks great, I haven't seen a DE razor with an angled head. I've love to get an adjustable with an angled head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I used a KAI blade for the first time this morning in my Super Speed - very smooth and sharp - a little nick(first in months) on my chin to remind me not to get slack with technique :o

Seven Worlds will Collide

Gran Hermano, that's a lovely razor handle. What is the Gillette model\type? I love those boxes too, I remember wanting to grab a 'Military' WWII Tech, just for the box!

Using a blade bank is for squares.. this is where its at now.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Gran Hermano, that's a lovely razor handle. What is the Gillette model\type? I love those boxes too, I remember wanting to grab a 'Military' WWII Tech, just for the box!

It's the British edition of the 1930's Gillette New in a bakelite case
    according to Achim's site

I took delivery of the following today. The Cella shaving soap is absolute luxury, it comes in a 1kg block and has the consistency of marzipan plus a lovely almond smell. I cut a lump of the soap and placed it in a cappuccino mug and moulded it to the bottom of the cup. I whipped up a great lather in seconds with the new Shavemac 177 silver tip badger brush. I then had a shave with a Merkur slant and Israeli personna. The Cella soap IMO is much better than the Mitchells wool fat which I've used to date, I've no irration or redness on my neck which I sometimes got. I topped it off with a splash of Proraso aftershave. I feel like a kid on Christmas day :D

shavingstuff.jpg

• Advertisement

Whilst you've a kilo of Cella to last you a while, check out the P160 soap.
    It's another soft Italian soap and I'm loving it at the moment, produces loads of great lather and leaves the skin feeling great.

I've some Valobra on the way this week, so think it's time for me to spend more time on the Valobra, Cella and P160.

Whilst you've a kilo of Cella to last you a while, check out the P160 soap.

I'm waiting on Connaught to restock the P160 1kg block, I saw good reviews for it over at B&B, where did you buy the P160?

DonJose wrote: »
    I'm waiting on Connaught to restock the P160 1kg block, I saw good reviews for it over at B&B, where did you buy the P160?

I picked it up in Connaught a couple of months back, it's a very soft soap
    (means you can easily mould it into a bowl). Initially I found the scent of
    almonds very strong but it's died down somewhat.

I've only seen it on Connaught and on Superlater.com and shoeboxshaveshop.com.

The Cella, if you're using a mug and have moulded in a chunk of it, can you lather on top of it? There's not a risk of using too much, being a soft soap?

DonJose, that's a dreamy .jpg..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Just nuked the spammer! :cool:

GH, sorry I had to delete one of your posts in the progress.

The Cella, if you're using a mug and have moulded in a chunk of it, can you lather on top of it? There's not a risk of using too much, being a soft soap?

DonJose, that's a dreamy .jpg..

I have the P160 (similar consistency to the Cella) in a wooden bowl.
    I fill the bowl (with soap in bottom) with hot waterand let sit for a minute
    before decanting the excess water and then lathering on top of the soap.
    After use I rinse the lot in cold water. The softer soap does seem to get
    used up faster than the likes of MWF but it's not disappearing rapidly either.

I've seen others mention they break off a very small piece of the soft
    soap (enough for one shave) and just use that in their shaving mug.

There are two types of P160, duro and morbido, both soft soaps but the
    morbido the softest.

The Cella soap is a funny old soap. Its soft enough, like putty, that you can cut it easily and mould it in a mug. However its hard enough that after you wash the lather away, if you run your finger across it there will not be any residue on your finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I took delivery of the following today. The Cella shaving soap is absolute luxury, it comes in a 1kg block and has the consistency of marzipan plus a lovely almond smell.

WoW 1kg - I'm waiting for the soap giveaway :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

WoW 1kg - I'm waiting for the soap giveaway :D

I'm not giving the soap away but I do have 10 lots of lather to give away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

I'm not giving the soap away but I do have 10 lots of lather to give away :D

:D....... lather you say..... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I do like the sound of these soaps but i just can't tolerate the smell of almonds.

Morf wrote: »
    I do like the sound of these soaps but i just can't tolerate the smell of almonds.

Have a look at Valobra's menthol shaving soap. It's another of the Italian soft soaps and one of the few that's not almond smelling:D
    I got some delivered this morn and haven't used yet but reviews on
    B&B look promising.

*cough* GH, your Valobra link mentions the 'A' word.. :D

*cough* GH, your Valobra link mentions the 'A' word.. :D

I used the menthol Valobra last night, similar consistency to the other
    soft Italian soaps and just as easy to lather up. The menthol soap contains
    coconut and almond oils but fear not it doesn't smell like a block of
    marzipan. I think the P160 might have a slight edge over it, need more
    usage to compare fully!

I also picked up a tub of Connaught's 'cooling' shaving cream, this is great
    stuff and as good as TOBS.

Razor of the night was my new Merkur 12c long-handled open comb.
    Nice looking razor, same handle as the 39c slant, I think I'll have to pick
    up a long handled HD so I can complete the trinity.

The 12c has the right mix of aggressiveness and weight I was looking for.
    Seems more aggressive than the Gillette New I was using. I also took
    delivery of the Muhle R41 old-model open comb yesterday but haven't
    tried it yet, reports seem to indicate it's more aggressive.

So who else is using an open comb at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate that you are trying to help me. I didn't shave over the weekend, so I shaved on Monday morning with a new Crystal blade and I tried the Taylor Of Old Bond Street (Sensitive) Cream for the first time. I had a much better result on Monday morning- there was no rash/redness on my neck. I think my biggest problem is inconsistency; if I leave 3/4 days between shaves I get better results, but if I try to shave everyday the rash on my neck comes back straight away. I will shave again on Wednesday morning with the TOBS sensitive cream to see if I get the same results.

Another problem is that when I shave my neck, I'm not able to get as close a shave on the area where the shaving rash is. The area is about 2/3 inch square on the right side of my neck and after shaving it kind of looks like I deliberately missed this area. It's not like a day's growth of stubble and it's not very obvious, but when I look in the mirror I can definitely notice that I haven't got as close a shave as the rest of my face or neck. I'm guessing this is because there are ingrown hairs in this area, which make it look like there are more hairs compared to the other side of my neck.

I should also mention that after shaving with a DE and proper shaving cream, my face always feels a bit tight afterwards. This is probably normal as I have read before that other people experience this.

I had the same prob, and found trying diff shave creams and soaps produced diff results. Post what you use for that shave, and Im sure someone here can suggest a good alternative cream or soap that may help.

Also, are you doing any prep before you shave? I shave after a shower, and just before I shave, I hold a hot face towel over my beard area, and I found this helps so much during the shave.

Also, use plenty of cold water after the shave to rinse your face, not just a cold splash. Spend 30secs or more using cold water.

Also try some aleo vera after you shave.

Watch Mantics videos on shaving, some great tips there.

I have a few different creams and I've tried them all at this stage; Palmolive, Prosaso, Speick, Old Spice, Clinque for Men shaving cream, and Taylor of Old Bond Street Sensitive Cream. I've only tried 3 different types of blades so far; Derby, Wilkinson and Crystal.

I think my prep is fairly good tbh. I only shave after a shower. I use the Nivea for Men exfoliating scrub and a hot face cloth in the shower. Then I mix up the shaving cream into lather in a bowl. I apply the cream with a Semogue brush. I only shave with the grain. Usually, one pass is sufficient. I only ever do one pass WTG on my neck area, as anything more than this will definitely result in a rash. After the shave, I put plenty of cold water over my face and neck. Then I apply Clinque for Men post shave healer (which has a high aloe content) to my face. I do not apply this product to my neck as I find it can cause irritation to the area.

I'm thinking of getting some aloe vera or witch-hazel from the chemist. Anyone know if either of these come in a cream and would they be suitable to apply to my neck?

I'm going to try this shaving gel as it contains aloe vera:

http://www.clinique.co.uk/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT1033&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1103

Anyone else tried it?

MediaTank wrote: »
    TendSkin is for ingrown hairs and is quite harsh. Is that you you have? Remind us of what your routine and shaving products are and we'll do our best to advise.

If the Mach 3 was better than a DE then perhaps your technique/lather needs adjustment.

MT

I ordered the TendSkin last Friday, so I should have it fairly soon. I think the shaving rash on my neck is caused by ingrown hairs so hopefully it might work.

The Mach 3 was worse tbh. However, if I shave everyday or every second day with the DE, then the results are similar enough.

Morf wrote: »
    If he's having such trouble perhaps he should seek medical advice.

No point, I've already gone to different doctors over the years and nothing has worked so far. I even went to a consultant dermatologist at the start of this year, but again nothing worked.

I was getting the same problem when I experimented with different creams and soaps. For my skin I find mitchells wool fat gives an excellent shave with no rash.

I might try this on my next order. Thanks for the recommendation.

Johnny Utah, if you go back to the Mach 3's, do you think you'll still use a shaving brush and cream/soap? I can't understand how anyone would willingly use foam or gel and the whole 'face patting thing', after a stint with a brush and cream\soap.

The science of 'shaving foam' is so defective, once you've gone over to a brush for a while.

---

A dab of Wars & Williams in a mug this morning, Green Gillette 7 O'Clock, 5th shave. Blade changed after. R106 and boar. 2x and touch up.

I'm not sure if I will switch back to the Mach 3 yet Amalgam. Sometimes, I get good results with the DE. However, most of the time, I'm left with redness/irritation on my neck after the DE. I'll stick it out for a few more weeks, and hopefully the shaving rash might improve.

Tbh, I'm not really sure what difference the brush makes. The brush is great for mixing up a lather, but when you're applying the cream to your face with a shaving brush, I don't really see the difference between using a brush or using your hands. Having said that, I always use the shaving brush to mix up the cream and to apply it to my face.

I was having a few problems on one cheek and my neck initially. The cheek issue turned out to be a combination of sensitivity to some products and overvigorous preparation - too much against the grain scrubbing before the shave. The neck issue a was sensitivity to particular blades and poor technique\overshaving.

A later change to straight razors sorted out all my neck issues because the technique is quite different ( mostly WTG or across, rarely against and variable angles of attack) but the results are fantastic with a properly sharpened blade. I won't recommend moving to a straight but I would suggest a couple of things that might help:

- if you are not experiencing product sensitivity make sure the lather is well hydrated, lubricating and not drying out too soon. If it is a little try mixing soap and cream or adding something like a drop or two of glycerine to the lather mix.

- don't gauge BBS during the shave. A slight roughness can be normal and the skin will settle after the cold rinse and feel smoother. Going for a BBS feel on hot skin can lead to over-shaving. After a while you will sense what level of roughness on hot skin will turn out to be a very smooth finish when the skin has cooled off.

- Check the direction of growth on the neck - in my case the bottom area grows almost exactly opposite to the rest so there is an area where there is a clear change from WTG to ATG. If I'm not careful to change direction\angle in the right place I'll get a slight rash\redness especially if I'm shaving every 24-28 hours and forget where the demarcation is.

- you might need a different blade on the neck. If you have two razors use one with a milder blade for the problem areas.

- reduce pressure and increase the stretch so the skin is as smooth and as flat as possible.

- check the growth angle on the neck - it might be that it is more prone to grow 'along' the skin rather than 'out' at a steeper angle. If this is the case shave for appearance and not smoothness and avoid against the grain.
    For presentation purposes a skin toned talc can disguise any slight stubble remaining and reduce friction if you have to wear a tie.

Finally - reduce the pressure and change the blade every 5 shaves. Most rash issues are due to too much pressure and dull blades.

Thanks, some very good advice there. I usually change the blade every 3 shaves.

Do you know where I could pick up some glycerine?

Another problem is that when I shave my neck, I'm not able to get as close a shave on the area where the shaving rash is. The area is about 2/3 inch square on the right side of my neck and after shaving it kind of looks like I deliberately missed this area. It's not like a day's growth of stubble and it's not very obvious, but when I look in the mirror I can definitely notice that I haven't got as close a shave as the rest of my face or neck. I'm guessing this is because there are ingrown hairs in this area, which make it look like there are more hairs compared to the other side of my neck.

These might be 'dead' hairs. The follicles naturally age, die and fall out if you didn't shave, but for those of us who do you can shave a bristle that is due to die soon or has just died. This won't grow any more and can get stuck in the skin.

If this is the case you can easily check. With a sterilized sharp point tease the hair out. With a clean tweezers grab it and give it a gentle tug. If the skin moves out and it begins to hurt it's still alive so let it go and avoid shaving it until it has grown out a bit.
    If there is no pain a gentle pull should have it slipping out.

Do you know where I could pick up some glycerine?

Most pharmacies have it - generic stuff in 100ml or 250ml bottles. It's also called glycerol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Johnny Utah, what type of razor are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

axer wrote: »
    Johnny Utah, what type of razor are you using?

A Wilkinson DE safety razor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

A Wilkinson DE safety razor.
    :eek:

First thing you need to do is throw that away! Those things are deadly. I used those when I first started and I had razor burn all over my neck. I nearly gave up at that stage.

You will notice with a proper DE razor that the blade will be angled downwards whereas the Wilkinson DE points straight out this has the effect of not cutting well. So because the razor doesn't cut well and it is too light you will find that you are putting too much pressure on the razor against your skin.

What you need to get it a Merkur Slant Bar. It is the ultimate in getting through hairs because it slices through them instead of cutting through.

I use the Merkur Slant Bar combined with Feather blades to get the sharpest possible combination so I need even less pressure against my face (the razor's weight is enough). You might want to start with Gillettes or something less ninja sharp until you get used to the Slant Bar.

So first thing you do is dump that razor.

Advertisement