Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safety Razors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've made sure to lather up plenty but I could feel my face tightening and drying when I used the shaving soap no matter how much water I used so I don't think it was a good option to go with, I am however going to look at different shaving creams.

I didn't have the same issue with the normal shaving gel which I made into a pretty good lather

Try Taylor Avocado shaving cream. It's great for what you describe above.

MT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

I've made sure to lather up plenty but I could feel my face tightening and drying when I used the shaving soap no matter how much water I used so I don't think it was a good option to go with, I am however going to look at different shaving creams.

I didn't have the same issue with the normal shaving gel which I made into a pretty good lather

Also I don't find my cheapo brush that great so I'm going to replace that took.

Yeah I've found the end result pretty damn good alright, though need to work on shaving my neck better but the face is a very very close shave with no razor burn :)

Somebody mentioned before that Lidi do after shave stuff, any idea what its called?

Hey, at my age the tightening up of the skin with the soap is a plus - it's like an instant facelift! ;)

The Aldi aftershave balm is called something like "Bellini" (not 100% sure cos it's nnot sitting in front of me) - comes in a small gray/blue plastic dispenser and costs about €3

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

who007 wrote: »
    The Aldi aftershave balm is called something like "Bellini" (not 100% sure cos it's nnot sitting in front of me) - comes in a small gray/blue plastic dispenser and costs about €3

Must keep an eye out for it next week, thanks :)
    MediaTank wrote: »
    Try Taylor Avocado shaving cream. It's great for what you describe above.

MT

I'll buy some and give it as try,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

My order from Connaught Shaving arrived this morning.

00126 - Block Osma Alum Block 75g
    00080 - Merkur 34C Safety Razor (34C only)
    00095 - Popular Blade Sample Pack (Small - 35)
    00127 - Dovo Leather Case

I am surprised how 'dinky' the Merkur HD 34C is.. it really is a bit.. midget-y. Maybe just coming from the Futur reinforces that for me.

I've attached comparative pictures, along with a one euro coin.

I was looking forward to a stack of macho blade dispensers, unfortunately most of the blade bundle came loose, wrapped with a strip of varnished paper, oh well.

I had spotted the Dovo pouch and couldn't resist snapping it up, meant to fit the Futur, it really is nice, along with the Dovo logo embossed on the stud button.

The part of the stud assembly on the main pouch is double lined with the same material as the pouch, nothing makes contact with your precious shaving instrument.

There's no reason why you couldn't use the pouch with the likes of the 34C, its just that the pouch will be longer than the razor itself, as you can see from the attached pictures.

Happy to ditch the Trig blades, I was getting a sandy chin with them, a bit of a let down, fine elsewhere though. I'll dig out a Feather or branded blade tomorrow.

Oh, I'd just like to say I think people don't talk up the Futur enough. I'm a fan. I'm glad I started off DE shaving with it..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its interesting to see the interest people in have in safety razors once they hear about them, I'd bet if they were advertised more a good amount of people people would switch to them for the money shavings alone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Its interesting to see the interest people in have in safety razors once they hear about them, I'd bet if they were advertised more a good amount of people people would switch to them for the money shavings alone!

AND for the snob value! (I mean that in the strictest economic meaning of course).

I found the Osma Alum block a godsend cos I must have cut my head about 6 places when I shaved it - couldn't believe how quickly the bleeding stopped with that block! Like others here I am finding shaving to be a more enjoyable experience now, so I don't just ignore it or rush it as I used to..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

...for the money shavings alone!

Nice pun! (even if it was unintentional).

Yes, it's a word of mouth thing at the moment. There are only a handful of companies making safety razors right now, so it's niche and I doubt if they have the money to advertise. It would take the big guys (Gillette etc.) to start something off.

OTOH, in Europe there is only one manufacturer with a small share of the razor market (Dovo), but in India and the Middle East where safety razors are de riguer, then companies like Parker (an Indian company) do advertise.

Stating the obvious, but would it also follow that the popularity of the shaving method is tied to the economics of the country\region..

It is economical in every sense to produce just the blade as the supplier, and to buy just the blade as a consumer.

We, relatively speaking, have money to piss up a wall, whereas, elsewhere..

noby wrote: »
    Nice pun! (even if it was unintentional).

heh whoops, guess I've typed shave and shaving so much today :)
    MediaTank wrote: »
    Yes, it's a word of mouth thing at the moment. There are only a handful of companies making safety razors right now, so it's niche and I doubt if they have the money to advertise. It would take the big guys (Gillette etc.) to start something off.

OTOH, in Europe there is only one manufacturer with a small share of the razor market (Dovo), but in India and the Middle East where safety razors are de riguer, then companies like Parker (an Indian company) do advertise.

Fair points alright, thing is the likes of Gillette etc will never advertising safety razors as it would loose them money, fusion blade for 3.50e or a safety razor blade for 20c, its not content for which they'll choose to advertise :)

Amalgam wrote: »
    Stating the obvious, but would it also follow that the popularity of the shaving method is tied to the economics of the country\region..

It is economical in every sense to produce just the blade as the supplier, and to buy just the blade as a consumer.

We, relatively speaking, have money to piss up a wall, whereas, elsewhere..

Very true alright, another thing I noticed recently is the fear factor, everyone seems to think it'll reef the face of you and the blades now are much much safer,

• Advertisement

Interesting to see what odd creams and blades some of the Asian minimarts stock, if any. I'll have a gander walking up South Great Georges Street. Not to mention the glut of charity shops.. there has to be a Gillette or two slumbering quietly in a shop display.

Interesting to see what odd creams and blades some of the Asian minimarts stock, if any. I'll have a gander walking up South Great Georges Street. Not to mention the glut of charity shops.. there has to be a Gillette or two slumbering quietly in a shop display.

Gillette cream in a tube is popular in the Middle East! Good luck with picking up a vintage razor in a charity shop - eBay is your best bet.

I just tried a Feather blade, good grief, the difference between that and a middle-of-the-road blade is something else. The sharpness is very umm.. noticeable. You need to concentrate. The ol' scrotum tightens up as you're using it.. don't drink and shave.

The short handle of the HD (34C) is a totally different experience from the Futur, along with the weight spread, which in the Futur is towards the shaft. I can 'pinch' the HD, whereas the Futur needs to be wrestled with, along with some propping with a pinkie.

A quicker shave with the 34C, with practice. I'll reach for the HD (34C) for the next few days.

The Alum block worked to settle things, I had one small nick at the edge of the mouth, dealt with it.

Much easier to shape sideburns with the 34C, probably even more so than a disposable. The line you get first off at the bottom of the sideburn is much cleaner than the disposable, first stroke. Task done, no fiddling.

Much easier to shape sideburns with the 34C, probably even more so than a disposable. The line you get first off at the bottom of the sideburn is much cleaner than the disposable, first stroke. Task done, no fiddling.

I've found the progress pretty good for sideburns and have had no issues under the nose which is something I worried about as I also used to clean things up with the trimmer on the fusion I used to use

I just tried a Feather blade, good grief, the difference between that and a middle-of-the-road blade is something else. The sharpness is very umm.. noticeable. You need to concentrate. The ol' scrotum tightens up as you're using it.. don't drink and shave.

My go to blade. Once you try a Feather all others seem blunt. Not good to try shaving with a hangover though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Got the gear yesterday, a progress with all the bits except a brush! I could have sworn I ordered it, but it wasnt when I checked.
    Had a shave last night, used the Merker blades as well, had to use the gilette gloop as a lather. Christ, what a sensation. I did fairly well, only one noticable nick. I find that lots of short strokes (!) work well for me, this is true of all razors that I have used. The end result was easily better then the mach 3 stuff.
    Couple of questions (Mediatank?)
    Can someone recommend a brush, I have sensitive skin with a wiry beard, do I need a hard brush to work the lather in properly?
    I let the Progress drip dry after rinsing it well in hot water under the tap, is this all I need to do?
    What do people do with the used blades, I can hardly toss them in the rubbish on their own?
    Ta in advance...

I got a real hankering to try a straight razor, found this crowd that supplies ready to go razors ( for the first shave anyway..) hes got a couple of sites, very interesting...
    http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/

Mods, would a sticky for links to all the different shaving sites be in order, I keep having to go through the threads to find the links

dbar wrote: »
    What do people do with the used blades, I can hardly toss them in the rubbish on their own?
    Ta in advance...
    Mods, would a sticky for links to all the different shaving sites be in order, I keep having to go through the threads to find the links

You can either get yourself a container for used blades or you'll notice that the blade cartridges have a small compartment at the back...you can put used blades there :)

I think a sticky covering places to buy from, see videos about etc would be great

Couple of questions (Mediatank?)
    Can someone recommend a brush, I have sensitive skin with a wiry beard, do I need a hard brush to work the lather in properly?
    I let the Progress drip dry after rinsing it well in hot water under the tap, is this all I need to do?

Rooney or Vulfix are the recommended brush makers. Go fior the best you can afford, without an expensive finish e.g. ebony or silver plate. The quality of the bristle and it's length (loft) is what matter. Silvertip is the best quality. It doesn't matter what type of beard you and anyway most brushes are pretty soft.

Yes, just rinse the razor (and brush) and let them drip dry. Blades are best disposed of in the blade holder, there's a slot in the back, or in a blade safe - I've made one from an old jar, and have 3 years worth of blades in it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Cheers Mediatank,
    I had thought of the Jar as well!
    Any supplier recommendations for the brush, I was looking at a rooney in executive shaving, I could just about justify the cost but the 7.50 stg delivery charge put me right off!

Cheers Mediatank,
    I had thought of the Jar as well!
    Any supplier recommendations for the brush, I was looking at a rooney in executive shaving, I could just about justify the cost but the 7.50 stg delivery charge put me right off!

Executive is about the best for brushes, best selection and prices. Pity about the shipping :(

• Advertisement

I'm glad someone asked about disposing of blades, bah.. a jar. I was hoping the solution would need duct tape.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Dbar,
    I just ordered this http://www.vulfixoldoriginal.com/products-detail.asp?CatID=1&SubCatID=1&ProductID=8

Postage included it all came in at under €30. Bit pricier than other brushes I know, but Vulfix are supposed to produce good quality brushes. Either way I'll let you know once I receive it.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

A sticky with sites would be invaluable. Especially for people who have used certain sites and have some experience with them. Some sites delivery charges to Ireland are ridiculous, which is annoying once you've seen a few bits and pieces you might want!
    Also perhaps people could post up their pieces of kit and reviews on them. Might help people who want to start or try DE shaving for the first time. I know I got up and running for about 30-40e. Thats a Merkur progress,cheap intro brush, shave creme etc. I think in 2 wks I've probably already saved about 8-10e on fusion blades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Sure, sounds like a good idea!

I'll sort something out when I get home in a couple of hours. ;)

In the meantime does anyone have any more links for good shaving supply stores to put in it? :)

A sticky with sites would be invaluable. Especially for people who have used certain sites and have some experience with them. Some sites delivery charges to Ireland are ridiculous, which is annoying once you've seen a few bits and pieces you might want!
    Also perhaps people could post up their pieces of kit and reviews on them. Might help people who want to start or try DE shaving for the first time. I know I got up and running for about 30-40e. Thats a Merkur progress,cheap intro brush, shave creme etc. I think in 2 wks I've probably already saved about 8-10e on fusion blades.

As far as reviews go, if people want to write up reviews that's great. :)
    For the safety razors we can keep 'em in here or you can make a seperate thread and I'll link direct to the post in the sticky.

Oddly, Connaught Shaving, which I guess a few of us have used recently, are banned from Badger & Blade. Can someone contribute bricks and mortar around Ireland if they stock a selection of blades etc?

Oddly, Connaught Shaving, which I guess a few of us have used recently, are banned from Badger & Blade. Can someone contribute bricks and mortar around Ireland if they stock a selection of blades etc?

Bizzare, I wonder why? FYI they are the distributor for many blades in the UK and Ireland including Feather, so their prices are hard to beat.

It is strange. A few members from the UK were enquiring about blades and naturally other members wanted to point them to that company, but they were left using d-a-s-h-e-s between letters, or s p a c e s, in the URL.

Guys, I had a look to see what the story was with Connaught and they seem ok. It appears that they werent happy with the way things were run on B&B and weren't afraid to voice that. Anywho, back to the matters at hand...

• Advertisement

I have to say I've found prices on http://www.shaving-shack.com/ pretty good as well

Advertisement