Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What happens when you die?

Options
  • 23-11-2005 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

I was baptised a Catholic, but have become disallusioned with the Catholic church, the abuse, the secrecy, the way women were/are viewed. :(

I got news today that a young colleague of mine(27) was tragically killed in a freak accident and two weeks ago my husbands colleague daughter (15) died. Two young people with their whole lives in front of them loved and needed and suddenly GONE. I can't understand why God would put their families through such pain and torture. If he is a loving God why can't he spare their lives. What happens when you die? What do you beleive? Ideally I would like to think there is a heaven and that we are reunited with our loved ones at the end but this is kind of fairytailish is it not?

I think in reality that I am starting to realise that there is nothing more out there , that our brains function via a bunch of chemicals and that when we die thats it we cease to exist. The chemical reactions stop and we are no more, I am becoming more convinced of this as I have recently been on medication for depression which has lifted my mood, again chemicals aiding my brain function. O I don't know I'm very confused at the moment and I'm upset at the death of two beautiful young people. I know that you are supposed to have faith and beleive even though you have no proof but I'm a realist and I'm beginning to think that religion is a great con. O how I would love for someone to prove otherwise.......help!:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Your body decomposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

Thank you OfflerCrocGod for your insightful reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

wexhun wrote:
    help!:confused::confused:

You have taken a wonderful first step by opening up to talk about it. Hang in there and talk more on this board. Clarity comes with healing.
    There is no magic piece of paper that can be given to you that says, Yes this is what's true, this is what happens when you die. Everything is a matter of personal belief and personal faith. You have to make the call yourself based on your dialogues with others, or with your own prayers to your God.
    Life's can be a bitch, but hope is eternal.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭smidgy

I believe there are people on the earth who know what happens at the moment of death. I believe that probably someone like Padre Pio could have answered your question. There are mystics in the world today that can probably answer your question. The problem with them is there are so many charlatans ones out there you do not want to be lead astray.

One of the most interesting and absorbing that i have read about is Maria Simma. She is dead now but had conversed with the souls in purgatory during her lifetime. She has written a book which you can read online at

http://www.holysoulscrusade.org/maria-simma1.html.

One of the most important aspects of the moment of death is to be humble before the lord and truely repentant of your sins.

Have a read at that link and tell me what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

wexhun wrote:
    O I don't know I'm very confused at the moment and I'm upset ...

I am very sorry for the distress that life has brought to you. I also empathise with your fears that religion is just one big con. Oftentimes religious people seem more interested in proving themselves right or protecting their power than searching for the truth, showing love or helping people.

I hope that I don't fall into that trap in this response. I think it is important to remember that while it might not bring you any solace now, the place you are in where you are admitting the honest, soul-deep questions you have is a healthy one. The seemingly meaningless death of young people is not the way any of us would choose to begin a re-examination of what we believe because it is so traumatic, but as hard as it is, it is good and healthy that you are re-examining.

I am a Christian (non-denominational) and I do feel that there is meaning and purpose. I believe in life before death as well as after though, which is something Christians often neglect! As you face the potential that death brings a definite end to everything that mattered to you, you must also face the troubling questions that raises about what that implies for your life before death.

What I mean to say is, if matter is all that is and matter is all that matters, then how do you gain significance and value in this life? Your relationships are nothing but evolutionary bait to encourage you to pass on your genes or to protect you in the case of attack. Even your thoughts must be suspected. They no longer are the processes of a truth-discovering brain, but the delusions of a brain intent on creating comforting delusions (including religion but also including the other structures that bring meaning to our lives) to stop us from going crazy. In such a universe, even your feelings of sorrow at the death of these 2 young people must be re-evaluated. If the Cosmos is the byproduct of chance then why should we mourn their passing anymore than a stranger's or a cow's or a plant's for we are all just complex organisms assembled by blind chance.

I think that God loves every single person and has a purpose in their life and a reason behind their death. I believe in the Christian picture of God as someone infinitely powerful, present and loving and so I understand that he might have motives that I will not be able to discern in this life. It is not a magic pill answer that makes me feel better when my relatives are sick or my friends die but on a day to day basis, as a result of my prayerful relationship with Him, I feel quite sure that He is here and He is in control.

So to answer your question, I think that when you die, God meets you with open arms (the open arms of the Cross?) and faith in him, knowing him, reassures you that is safe to embrace this awesome Creator who will welcome you like a Father meeting his long lost child, dry your tears, heal your pain, answer your questions and settle you into your new home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Wexhun,

I feel for you. I've been there too. Things WILL improve, as time dulls the pain. But for real, lasting solace, your questions do need answers.

I can't understand why God would put their families through such pain and torture. If he is a loving God why can't he spare their lives.

See my post on the A FRIEND LOSING FAITH thread. A brief answer is that mankind has inherited the consequences of the Fall - death and suffering come to everyone of us. God certainly can and does spare one's life - most of us can speak of narrow squeaks we have had. But He does not spare us indefinitely. He has appointed each one of our departure dates and the circumstances of our going.

Does that mean He has no love for man? Certainly not. He sent His own Son to bear our nature, to suffer and die for all who trust in Him. Jesus Christ endured not only the oppression of sinful men but also the wrath of His Father on behalf of those He came to save. No greater love than this: to suffer God's wrath on behalf of those who hated Him.

What happens when you die? What do you beleive? Ideally I would like to think there is a heaven and that we are reunited with our loved ones at the end but this is kind of fairytailish is it not?

I believe the Bible account. It tells of both a heaven for those who have turned from their rebellion and put their trust in Christ. But it also speaks of a place of separation from God, of eternal punishment for those who continued in their own way. The popular concept of heaven is a fairytale, quite unlike the Biblical one. The former assures everyone that it will all work out right in the end, no matter how we live. The latter warns us of the necessity of repentance and faith in Christ.

I think in reality that I am starting to realise that there is nothing more out there , that our brains function via a bunch of chemicals and that when we die thats it we cease to exist.

That can be a comforting concept. No fear of consequences in the after-life. But it does not account for the dignity we know we have as moral beings, nor give an adequate explanation of the rest of nature. Most especially, the logic of materialism drives us to existential despair. If this is all we are, there can be no meaning to life, no reason for us to patiently 'suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune'. Hedonism if possible, suicide if it is not, becomes the only logical course.

I have recently been on medication for depression which has lifted my mood, again chemicals aiding my brain function.

Medication is helpful in restoring a chemical balance, but is no indication that it is all our personalities are. If the brain is the interface of spirit and body, obviously any disturbance in one will have consequencies for the other.

I'm beginning to think that religion is a great con.

Most religion certainly is. We need the real thing. We need to hear God speaking to our hearts. I believe you will find that in the Bible. May I recommend you begin with John's gospel, prayerfully asking God to reveal Himself to you. His promise is:
    Matthew 11:28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

I have found that completely true. So have countless others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Starlight610

Hi Wexhun, :)

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. At times life can seem unbearable, bleak, cold sort of like you are stranded alone in the freezing cold with nowhere to go, nobody to talk to, no warmth and the pain of isolation and the physical pain of the cold numbing your hands and face as you struggle to walk against the blizzard (in a metaphorical sense). But, "when you walk through and storm, keep your chin up high and don't be afraid of the dark" as "the sun will come out tomorrow". People die and I don't think any "God" can change that.

Myself, I don't believe in an almighty loving God but in energy. I believe God is an energy force that exists in humans and existence and love is a human thing. We all lose somebody and it especially breaks my heart when I hear about young people who have died. Many people have doubts about what they believe in after a tragedy, faith differs a bit from religion. You need to decide what you truly believe in, nobody can decide it for you. A person with faith has a fuller, whole view of life and it can give them comfort.

I will give you an example. A few months ago I watched a documentary about a man who "skin was falling off" - he had epidermolysis bullosa (EB), which is a genetic skin condition in which the skin is so fragile even touching it, would cause rashes. The man was wrapped up in bandages, couldn't walk, he looked awful. Beneath it all he was beautiful. His mother came to change his bandages twice a day with much distress. He got cancer and decided to die, he lived to about 30. He met many famous people, set up a charity for people with the same condition and lived a much fuller life than most people who have lived to old age. His documentary touched my heart and I will never forget it and his life made an impact on so many people. His last words about his charity were "I don't want people to suffer in their lives like I did - they deserve the chance I never got".

Don't you see that people do die but at least you can say you knew that them and you would always have memories of them? Part them lives in you. Wexhun, don't give up faith as I don't think your friend and her daughter would want you to. Did they make a positive impact on people's lives? You too can to make this impact on other people lives and you have had an impact on me so thank you. I hope life treats you good, as you don't deserve any more suffering so please take care.

Daniel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

wexhun wrote: »
    I was baptised a Catholic, but have become disallusioned with the Catholic church, the abuse, the secrecy, the way women were/are viewed. :(

I got news today that a young colleague of mine(27) was tragically killed in a freak accident and two weeks ago my husbands colleague daughter (15) died. Two young people with their whole lives in front of them loved and needed and suddenly GONE. I can't understand why God would put their families through such pain and torture. If he is a loving God why can't he spare their lives. What happens when you die? What do you beleive? Ideally I would like to think there is a heaven and that we are reunited with our loved ones at the end but this is kind of fairytailish is it not?

I think in reality that I am starting to realise that there is nothing more out there , that our brains function via a bunch of chemicals and that when we die thats it we cease to exist. The chemical reactions stop and we are no more, I am becoming more convinced of this as I have recently been on medication for depression which has lifted my mood, again chemicals aiding my brain function. O I don't know I'm very confused at the moment and I'm upset at the death of two beautiful young people. I know that you are supposed to have faith and beleive even though you have no proof but I'm a realist and I'm beginning to think that religion is a great con. O how I would love for someone to prove otherwise.......help!:confused::confused:

Our Lady of Medugorje (Mother of Jesus or Mother of God) Said that after we leave this world, very few go directly to heaven, most or the majority go to purgatory (for further purification) and a lot go to hell. Many Saints and mystics have been taken to Heaven, which is, well heavenly, purgatory and even hell. (Look this up, it's fascinating)

Live a good honest life, don't be disloyal to your wife or husband don't fall prey the modern sex culture or be promiscuous, love as much as possible be a kind and gentle parent, or son or daughter and forgive, (even interiorly) everyone and don't fight with neighbors or relatives over silly material things and you should be okay and make it to Purgatory there God and your guardian angel will prepare you for heaven. Lastly, try to pray, tell God you love Him, for creating you and ask him often to make you more loving and humble, tell Him often that you desire to do His will and ask Him to help you make it to Heaven. All will be okay. One last thing, stay away from abortion or any type of murder and don't support it, love all of God's children and always do your best to prevent them harm, even the unborn and all will be okay. Don't worry everything will be okay, God ‘’is with you’’

If there was one habit, that would lead you to Heaven more than any other it’s Our Lady’s Rosary. Say it daily and she will lead your life and direct your soul in a supernatural way to heaven. Our lady looks after her own. This one prayer has transformed my life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Our Lady of Medugorje (Mother of Jesus or Mother of God) Said that after we leave this world, very few go to heaven, most or the majority go to purgatory (for further purification) and a lot go to hell. Mant Saints and mystics have been taken to Heaven, which well is heavenly, purgatory and even hell.

Live a good honest life, don't be disloyal to your wife or husband love as much as possible be a kind and gentle parent, or son or daughter and forgive everyone and don't fight with neighbors or relatives over silly material things and you should be okay and make it to Purgatory there God and your guardian angel will prepare you for heaven. Lastly, try to pray, tell God you love Him, for creating you and ask him often to make you more loving and humble. All will be okay. One last thing, stay away from abortion and don't support it, love all of God's creation even the unborn and all will be okay.

Very kind words, easier said than done

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Very kind words, easier said than done

Thanks, I trust Jesus or God absolutely, If we ask Him everyday to bring us to Heaven and make us Humble, loving and holy, and forgiving or merciful. He will do it. Nothing is impossible with God and these types of prayers never go unanswered. God has done miracles in my life, so I have every reason to trust Him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

wexhun wrote: »

The trouble about thinking you are but a bunch of chemical reactions is that you would have to suppose the chemicals made you suppose so. There would be no 'you' to decide it was so, as such.

You require a you independent of natural processes to decide upon these things. And without God, there is no you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Our Lady of Medugorje (Mother of Jesus or Mother of God) Said...

The post you replied to is fifteen years old.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The post you replied to is fifteen years old.

Lol zombie thread. That's what happens a thread dies anyway!

The rest of us? Your lungs stop supplying oxygen to your heart and brain, the former stops, the latter stops firing those little electrical impulses that made you think and move. At that point your duration of consciousness ends and your tissues begin to petrify. Then someone places you in a box or shroud and either buries or burns up your physical remains until you rejoin the cosmic dust. And that, as they say, is the story of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The rest of us? Your lungs stop supplying oxygen to your heart and brain, the former stops, the latter stops firing those little electrical impulses that made you think and move. At that point your duration of consciousness ends and your tissues begin to petrify. Then someone places you in a box or shroud and either buries or burns up your physical remains until you rejoin the cosmic dust. And that, as they say, is the story of you.

You think. At least, that is what you yourself say you do.

There must be a bootstrap argument in there somewhere. Someone reckons they are the product of random mutations and forces, yet suppose this product of random mutations and forces is reliably informing the product of random mutations and forces that it is the product of random mutations and forces!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Zombie thread locked, please feel free to start a similar discussion if you wish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement