Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Was the Irish famine a famine or genocide

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭eire4

Jesus. wrote: »
    I read that. Sinead's brother wasn't it? Decent read alright

I didn't know he was Sinead's brothert thats interesting. I certainly liked it thought it was very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

eire4 wrote: »
    One of the aspects of the famine that for me is not focused on enough is the reality that most of those who died or were forced to emigrate were mostly Irish speakers. These were people who degraded and debased as they were were looked upon as sub human, lazy, prone to violence etc by their then Britsh colonial rulers. This racist outlook by the British I feel was a major factor in their unwillingness to take measures to prevent this horrific event from unfolding. What happened was not a premeditated genocide. But certainly once things were unfolding the British decision makers were quite fine with the outcome which when the scale of what took place is looked at made what happened a genocide in effect especially with regard to the degraded and impoverished Irish speakers.

We as a nation and people I feel have still yet to come to terms with the trauma of that period and that is something I feel we need to address. Like an individual who has suffered a traumatic event we need to deal with what happened, acknowledge and accept it as a monumental and in many ways defining part of our heritage and instead of finger pointing we need I feel to come to know as much as that is possible our ancestors and what they suffered and commemorate and respect that trauma.

I don't think it mattered a jot to the British whether Paddy spoke Irish or not, save perhaps for an English speaker might be more malleable and perhaps be of use as a soldier... or with a bit of smarts a civil servant, but Irish speakers would have by and large lived on the more marginal land in the West which would have been far harder to eke a living out of.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

CDfm wrote: »
    The potato as a food source is excellent. Easy to grow and doesn't need much land or cultivation. Subdivision of land meant the population could expand as long as the potato was available. All this continued while the potato supply existed.

Simply put, the population expanded to fit the available nutritional source supplied by potatoes.

Yes, this is true. Malthusian economics at its most obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

When the potato blight hit, why didn't people eat other foods like grain/barley-breads, cereals, fish, fowl, rabbit, hare, pigs, sheep, cows, horse, berries, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, turnips, milk, stews, runner beans, fungi . . . .

Why did the potato blight result in one million deaths from starvation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

LordSutch wrote: »
    When the potato blight hit, why didn't people eat other foods like grain/barley-breads, cereals, fish, fowl, rabbit, hare, pigs, sheep, cows, horse, berries, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, turnips, milk, stews, runner beans, fungi . . . .

Why did the potato blight result in one million deaths from starvation?

Because the lumper potato was the only thing that would grow on the cottier's quarter acre, this usually being the poorest piece of land on the small farmer's farm.
    Even the smallest farmer looked down on the landless labourer, and felt no obligation to assist his starving neighbour.
    It was not only the comfortable farmer who felt superior. If someone else was hungry, that was God's will, not society's problem.
    Some things never change.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

tabbey wrote: »
    Because the lumper potato was the only thing that would grow on the cottier's quarter acre, this usually being the poorest piece of land on the small farmer's farm.
    Even the smallest farmer looked down on the landless labourer, and felt no obligation to assist his starving neighbour.
    It was not only the comfortable farmer who felt superior. If someone else was hungry, that was God's will, not society's problem.
    Some things never change.

I seem to recall* that in his book "Ireland 1912-1985 - Politics and Society" J.J. Lee observed that the foundation of the state was followed by the disappearance of the Irish farm labourer as a class and that this happening did not seem to provoke any comment or concern.

(* might be something I picked up from Ray Crotty)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Just reading through this document of the OP, there are a lot of claims and allegations in it. It seems to sourced from an Irish-American person (which is fine).
    I looked into one aspect; the page about Liverpool mentions a secret mass grave of Irish emigrants...
    They may have also been used to dig the secret mass graves that have been unearthed in the city and recently came to light, the latest in 1973 containing 3,561 bodies stacked in order of presumed age that were secretly incinerated before tests could be carried out. This was on British Home Office orders which it now denies knowledge of. It is now known as the 'Mystery' Mass Grave, It took eight years before this mass grave was reported in the press and then only in the Catholic Pictorial (September 6,1981).
    Here is a bit of local history from the area in question, Old Swan, which shows that the building work uncovered coffins carefully buried, over a number of years, in coffins, at a place marked on old maps as a burial ground. It is simply a case of the presbytery taking over a very normal old graveyard as a garden, and then a subsequent generation being ignorant of that fact, decided to build a school on "the garden".
    The "secrecy" seems to be due to (a) a few red faces and (b) nobody wanted the school project to be abandoned, therefore the old coffins and their contents had to be "got rid of" somehow.

So with this allegation disproved, it does throw some doubt on the others.

Nevertheless, there are some claims made in this document which would be worth proving or disproving one way or the other, partly because they appear fairly regularly elsewhere.

1. That large numbers of extra British troops were garrisoned in the country during the famine, and used to guard food storehouses and food export convoys. And there is also the hint/subtext that they may have gathered up or requisitioned food from the countryside.

2. That fisherman were prevented from fishing the sea by British coastguard or naval vessels.

3. That there was a net export of food from Ireland during the famine years.

I would not be surprised if 3. was true, but happened because of the economic system and market forces. But are there any actual facts and figures for any of these?

Another few stories that appear now and again;
    1. That yellow "indian meal" was imported but the people could not eat it because they did not know how to cook it.
    2. That the people did not fish the sea because their currachs were unsuitable, their nets were locked up in the pawnbrokers shop, they could not even afford to buy a fishhook to stand on the rocks fishing etc...

These strike me as infantile arguments, even though they have been taught at times in Irish schools.
    CDfm wrote: »
    I often wonder what obligations the owners of serfs had for the welfare of their serfs or slaveowners in the US had for the welfare of their slaves as the Irish seemed to have no rights at all.
    I think this is a good point. Numerous foreign visitors to Ireland commented on the extremely wretched living conditions of the very poor in Ireland. The landless farm labouring class seem to have been worse off here than in any other European country, even before the famine. Probably worse off than the people in the countries that are nowadays "the third world".
    If they had been slaves or serfs, the landlords would have had more of a responsibility to ensure they had enough to eat. But being "free" and living in a capitalist society with no social welfare, those 2 million were simply surplus to an uncaring system's requirements, and nobody's responsibility.

On the question of why they just died, instead of going fishing or hunting.
    I suppose it is just the boiled frog syndrome. Allegedly, a frog in a pot of cold water, and brought slowly to the boil, will make no attempt to escape.
    A frog thrown into hot water will make vigorous attempts to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Another aspect of this that might be interesting to research is the effect absentee landlords and crown taxes had on the net flow of money into and out of Ireland.

So if money is constantly being collected up in the form of rents and taxes, but is then spent outside the country, it means that there is not enough money circulating within the country to buy goods. Hence the locally produced goods (food) must be exported to bring back a balance of payments.

A modern day equivalent of this is the €80 billion debt we "took on" from ECB/IMF. As this money gets repaid over the coming years, we will see exports from Ireland growing, but the wealth of the people will not grow in parallel. In other words, the local economy must outperform its own needs just to survive.
    In this sense, modern day interest payments to foreign creditors are similar to famine era rent payments to absentee landlords. Obviously nobody starves today, but the principle is similar. The end result is a net export of wealth to another country.
    In each case the "service" being paid for is an illusion. Back then, we were being charged for the use of the land we lived on. Nowadays, we are being charged for the use of the currency that we use.
    Boiled frogs indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

one of my lectures told us he agreed with Mitchell's assessment that "God sent the blight but the English sent the famine". There was no need for a single crop failure to cause so many deaths but the government of the day made decisions to not intervene which caused the famine.

It must also be remembered that middle to large Irish tenants did little to help the cottiers who suffered the most, in fact many larger tenants were happy to get a chance to rent a few more acres

Advertisement