Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maps of Dublin from 1960s ?

• 11-11-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello - I wonder would anyone know where I could view maps of Dublin as it was in the 1960's ? In particular the suburbs ?

I'm trying to find out the location of the St.Patrick's home which was on the Navan Road in Dublin 7 and has since been demolished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

looks like it was located near Ashtown, and on the northern side of the road - i.e. opposite St. Vincents and the racecourse.

see : Dublin c1935

grid ref D3 on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Shane,

is your map dated? I have a cloth backed map very similar to the one on your link but I think a bit earlier though undated.

It doesn't have Goatstown or Mountainville Road labelled in M14. Below L14 it has an acknowledgement for permission to produce the map from the Minister forFinance of "Saorstat Erieann". I assume from the typo that it may be from the early 1920s.

In my version of the map, St Patrick's Home in D3 is labelled Pelletstown School and the railway line is labelled GSR rather than CIE.

Johnny

That map is undated.. the 1935 date is my estimate. I'm thinking maybe a little later. I'm sure an analysis of roads and street names would help work it out - some day if I ever get time..

As far as I remember Pelletstown was the older name for St. Patrick's, so might help give cut off dates for our two maps

thanks Shane.

I just had a look at the CIE website and the History page there indicates CIE as starting in 1945. A quick google shows the GSR as operating from 1925 to 1945. Suggesting our maps are later than we thought.

Johnny

I think I saw the same website ... interesting

Mount Merrion had an anniversary (300?), I think last year and I see just some of the roads in the area have been built on mine. I have info at home from that. I think it details when each road was started, must check that out

Does your map show the Rise Mount Merrion ?

ref. O13 on mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Busaras not built so before 1953, and it has the trams which went in 1949

Aerial photo of Mount Merrion dated 1949 on their website - looks like more of the roads than on my map - e.g. Callary/Greenfield

see : Mount Merrion 300 - Aerial photos

based mainly on an overlay of the map and the '49 Aerial Photo of Mount Merrion, plus the C.I.E. information etc, I'm going to revise my date for that map to about 1946/47.

shanew wrote: »
    I think I saw the same website ... interesting

Mount Merrion had an anniversary (300?), I think last year and I see just some of the roads in the area have been built on mine. I have info at home from that. I think it details when each road was started, must check that out

Does your map show the Rise Mount Merrion ?

ref. O13 on mine

no sign of The Rise. O13 on my map is fairly clear - Stillorgan Rd, Mount Merrion Avenue, South Hill Avenue and Booterstown Ave. A Fortwilliam is shown by the junction of Mount Merrion Ave with Stillorgan Rd.

no sign of The Rise. O13 on my map is fairly clear - Stillorgan Rd, Mount Merrion Avenue, South Hill Avenue and Booterstown Ave. A Fortwilliam is shown by the junction of Mount Merrion Ave with Stillorgan Rd.

Construction of The Rise started in 1934, so looks like your map is before this..

• Advertisement

just had a google for the publisher Geographia and found this webpage which talks about a code in the left hand corner of the map

http://randomactsofcartography.wordpress.com/geographia-ltd/

My map is coded UME (never noticed it before) which I think translates as printed Feb 1935, much later than I thought.

just had a google for the publisher Geographia and found this webpage which talks about a code in the left hand corner of the map

http://randomactsofcartography.wordpress.com/geographia-ltd/

My map is coded UME (never noticed it before) which I think translates as printed Feb 1935, much later than I thought.

just spotted that mine (also a Geographia) has CD:BA lower right... which if the 'Cumberland' decoding system applies translates to Oct 1948 (10.48) - perfect !!

Advertisement