Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mains wiring - difference between T and daisychain

• 15-10-2020 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Bear with :o

I am replacing shorter mains cabling on top floor (since I can pull it out from the attic) with shiny new and more importantly the right length solid core 2.5mm twin and earth cable run. This run will power 6 sockets in total.

As the cable coming in from the main board is too short to run to the first new socket spot - here is my query.

I am simply pulling it out and terminating above using Wago type 222 connectors and WagoBox. Then dropping a single cable down for the socket and another cable to another WagoBox from which one cable goes to another socket and another cable onto another WagoBox and so on.

I don't see much difference between the WagoBox and Wago connecting neatly above and doing the same thing by dropping the cable down and getting another cable up an over. Or am I missing something major?

Is this a total nono or technically nothing wrong but just not the code or absolutely fine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

spr1nt3r wrote: »

I am replacing shorter mains cabling on top floor (since I can pull it out from the attic) with shiny new and more importantly the right length solid core 2.5mm twin and earth cable run. This run will power 6 sockets in total.

As the cable coming in from the main board is too short to run to the first new socket spot - here is my query.

I am simply pulling it out and terminating above using Wago type 222 connectors and WagoBox. Then dropping a single cable down for the socket and another cable to another WagoBox from which one cable goes to another socket and another cable onto another WagoBox and so on.

I don't see much difference between the WagoBox and Wago connecting neatly above and doing the same thing by dropping the cable down and getting another cable up an over. Or am I missing something major?

Is this a total nono or technically nothing wrong but just not the code or absolutely fine?

You shouldn’t be at this work , registered electrical contractor only , sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

JL spark wrote: »
    You shouldn’t be at this work , registered electrical contractor only , sorry

Thanks but it's not rocket science to replace a cable between two sockets having full access to it.

I am just looking for an advice on best and correct way to extend the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Thanks but it's not rocket science to replace a cable between two sockets having full access to it.

I am just looking for an advice on best and correct way to extend the cable.
    If it’s that easy , why you asking ,
    The circuit your working on , is it a radial or a ring ? Breaker size ,rcd ? Loop readings etc etc

The circuit your working on , is it a radial or a ring ? Breaker size ,rcd ? Loop readings etc etc

Valid point I give you that.

It's radial, 20A rcd. Loop readings not done yet.

Not being smart but last job done in my place by electrician were just installing and powering on - definately no loop reading. Is this necessary or you're just pulling my leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

If you are asking what's the difference between T and daisy chain, well daisy chain has less connections i.e. less wires to splice, less connections to go bad as you don't have to deal with the junctions.

• Advertisement

alan4cult wrote: »
    If you are asking what's the difference between T and daisy chain, well daisy chain has less connections i.e. less wires to splice, less connections to go bad as you don't have to deal with the junctions.

That's true. I could limit to one junction box which would go to attic on original wire and just extend from box to first socket leaving the rest as is.

Anything against using WagoBox and Wago 222 connectors or perfectly sound?

Wish there was an unthank button for this attitude.

I am used to it. It is extremely hard to get sound advise from certain trades or maybe just tradesmen.

In my field I am helping anyone who asks and sometimes even getting out of my way if I see people need help. Happy them - happy me. After all if my advise gets the job done I'm not going to charge for it.

To attract a customer you have to be approachable instead of having a "money talks" attitude. Maybe I'm wrong... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Long story short... Junction boxes are not ideal, If you can loop (daisy chain) all the better. But nothing technically wrong with a Junction box that you can get at.

Maybe try to replace a junction box with another socket?

Wagos are perfect and are maintenace free. Much better than strip connectors.

Loop Impedance testing. A person who doesn't do it are only fit to carry the saddle bags for John Wayne.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Long story short... Junction boxes are not ideal, If you can loop (daisy chain) all the better. But nothing technically wrong with a Junction box that you can get at.

Maybe try to replace a junction box with another socket?

Wagos are perfect and are maintenace free. Much better than strip connectors.

Loop Impedance testing. A person who doesn't do it are only fit to carry the saddle bags for John Wayne.

Thanks for the answer. Thing is the wiring comes in the attic through concrete slab, goes tightly around corner and straight down to the first socket which now that been moved is too far for it to be stretched. Hence the idea of the box and thoughts of other sockets now that I bought a roll of 100m 2.5mm twin and earth cable...

Junction box for a socket is a very good idea. The spot is in awkward position but I do have one of outside wall mountable sockets to spare so yeah, a decent option, thanks.

• Advertisement

I am used to it. It is extremely hard to get sound advise from certain trades or maybe just tradesmen.

You know those people who drive really slow in the middle of the road and then speed up while they're being overtaken. Interesting Irish characteristic.

I dunno what's so dangerous, I've electrocuted myself more times...I must be doing it wrong.

I make mistakes, stuff blows up, things melt.
    Still here. Now with thermal imaging.
    Free will man. People died for it.

Thanks for the answer. Thing is the wiring comes in the attic through concrete slab, goes tightly around corner and straight down to the first socket which now that been moved is too far for it to be stretched. Hence the idea of the box and thoughts of other sockets now that I bought a roll of 100m 2.5mm twin and earth cable...

Junction box for a socket is a very good idea. The spot is in awkward position but I do have one of outside wall mountable sockets to spare so yeah, a decent option, thanks.

If the supply is going into the attic first, why not put a socket in a decent place in the attic (Usually very handy). Then cable out to the next socket whatever the location with not joints.

Just to say. You should be using a REC for this type of works, and provided with a cert.. ie for your insurance records if anything happened. I'm not a REC so with respect to the other lads that are on here.

Use this information as a suggestion to the REC that you hire.

Harm thyself before others...my new business moto. Advice is free. Liability isn't.

Not a REC either so nothing technical to add....:pac::o

Anyone read the charter lately...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Why? It was a fair and reasonable response.

Have you read the charter lately Risteard?
    I believe you were the inspiration for the revision....

You know those people who drive really slow in the middle of the road and then speed up while they're being overtaken. Interesting Irish characteristic.

tjNE0211kzGR55OErF6WiXQVrcG9d3hA1vi-L7wYsAH1c2ZE2Gu5a9SkYGcdqVg7KjJmfLvNzoRErZsMNVJkOsdI7xA_N13zUxR87tLWDfzYJ47TIg3JxnuZII_ac4YzIEKpBJTD8-CsrECyj__yfUYbDpaXDGGbpww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

They used to call it the ' junction box method'

The obvious technical issue is that you might have to access the joints to find a fault

They're accessible but not as accessible as the points

Every juction is a potential failure point.
    I use continuous runs and zero chocy blocks on live-aboards.

In terms of troubleshooting having randomly placed junction boxes in the nethers of an installation because it was convenient at the time of install is a right pain in the (insert rude word here).

I only put junctions at the sockets/end loads/distros etc.

In terms of troubleshooting having randomly placed junction boxes in the nethers of an installation because it was convenient at the time of install is a right pain in the (insert rude word here).

Best practice in a domestic installation would be if you can do all your troubleshooting from the points , lights sockets etc and DBs

Without having to access accessible joints

I agree. It'd be great if those were the only troublesome places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This

They are a potential failure point when they're poorly done

Every point is a potential failure, sockets or light fittings. Accessibility is the key. Wagos are ideal, I try not to use strip connectors anymore. Only for spare cores or when testing.

JimToken wrote: »
    They are a potential failure point when they're poorly done

My installations move and vibrate a lot. Houses are easy.

Advertisement