Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best tractor around 120hp

• 18-10-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Debating about a new tractor or newish second hand more than likely. We don't spread our own slurry, tractor mainly needed for throwing out round bales with a front loader.

Whats the best yoke around the 120hp mark?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Toplink wrote: »
    Debating about a new tractor or newish second hand more than likely. We don't spread our own slurry, tractor mainly needed for throwing out round bales with a front loader.

I think you need to have a budget and go from there as I am sure you know there is huge difference in costs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Theheff wrote: »
    I think you need to have a budget and go from there as I am sure you know there is huge difference in costs out there.

And specs. New holland T5.120 is 120 hp. So is the T6.125s. Two totally different animals though.
    Same for a Massey 5712 vs a 6712.

Grueller wrote: »
    And specs. New holland T5.120 is 120 hp. So is the T6.125s. Two totally different animals though.
    Same for a Massey 5712 vs a 6712.
    Very true. If I was in going out to buy a tractor in the morning id be going with a ten year old tractor with low hours. No adblue or any of that craic.

Theheff wrote: »
    Very true. If I was in going out to buy a tractor in the morning id be going with a ten year old tractor with low hours. No adblue or any of that craic.

You and everyone else Heff. That is the problem. 10 year old low hour tractor is €50k, if you can trust the hours!!!!

You and everyone else Heff. That is the problem. 10 year old low hour tractor is €50k, if you can trust the hours!!!!

New yokes are lovely but you want to be trading them in every few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Do you need 120 horses would be my first question

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

My thoughts too... 120hp is overkill for handling a few bales...

hopeso wrote: »

I would think that depends. I do my own slurry, mow, shake, rake and draw my bales. Top, spread fert and cut my own hedges.
    None of these jobs on the face of it need 120hp but I am in the market for a tractor that size too. Implements are getting bigger all the time and time is getting scarcer.
    Here is the big reason though. I have an 80 acre outfarm 8 miles away so spend a good bit of time on the road. The extra size, weight and comfort is essential to me for drawing back home silage bales during the summer. I carry 17 at a time so that is 14 tonne or so behind you. I would draw up to 300 of these on my own. Why not get a contractor and have a smaller tractor? I am on a one tractor plan and there is little differ in the price of 90hp and 120 hp to buy.
    The 120 hp will allow me to buy a 3tonne spinner and load bulk fert at the merchants when passing on the way to the outfarm, spread and home with no messing, load again on the way home and a lot of work is done in a short space of time.
    The extra weight on the hedgecutter would be a big help too.
    I am also on the high tax bracket on every euro the farm earns due to off farm income, have a good occupational pension plan and like doing my own work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

I would think that depends. I do my own slurry, mow, shake, rake and draw my bales. Top, spread fert and cut my own hedges.
    None of these jobs on the face of it need 120hp but I am in the market for a tractor that size too. Implements are getting bigger all the time and time is getting scarcer.
    Here is the big reason though. I have an 80 acre outfarm 8 miles away so spend a good bit of time on the road. The extra size, weight and comfort is essential to me for drawing back home silage bales during the summer. I carry 17 at a time so that is 14 tonne or so behind you. I would draw up to 300 of these on my own. Why not get a contractor and have a smaller tractor? I am on a one tractor plan and there is little differ in the price of 90hp and 120 hp to buy.
    The 120 hp will allow me to buy a 3tonne spinner and load bulk fert at the merchants when passing on the way to the outfarm, spread and home with no messing, load again on the way home and a lot of work is done in a short space of time.
    The extra weight on the hedgecutter would be a big help too.
    I am also on the high tax bracket on every euro the farm earns due to off farm income, have a good occupational pension plan and like doing my own work.

Yes, your workload totally justifies a 120hp tractor. But the OP stated that his tractor will be mainly used to throw out a few bales, hence my reply....

• Advertisement

Yes, your workload totally justifies a 120hp tractor. But the OP stated that his tractor will be mainly used to throw out a few bales, hence my reply....

And I agree 100%. If you asked the boss here he would say our tractor really only does a bit of feeding. Until you actually analyse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

If it was me personally. I'd buy a massey 5713, if you are doing a nice bit of loader work. Their a good all round machine that is easy to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The way things are going even less folk will be spreading slurry in a few years - it will become a job for only the contractors. Unless Moscha get LESSE approval - which I don't think is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

davidk1394 wrote: »
    If it was me personally. I'd buy a massey 5713, if you are doing a nice bit of loader work. Their a good all round machine that is easy to operate.

I think the 5712 (or 5612) is 120hp.

The smaller ones in those series are 3 cylinder and I think they escape the adblue requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I agree, You would actually get two tractors for around or a bit with half the price of a 120 hp tractor less than ten years old.

I am doing more or less similar to you OP. I have 60-70 acres and I finish 60 cattle . I make about 200-250 bales and draw them in, stack them and feed them. Spread fertilizer and a bit of land maintenance.

I have a 2002 CX90 4wd with loader and a CX 80 2wd. The two tractors were purchased about 3 years apart and cost abouts 27-28K.

If there is a second person with me bringing in bales we can bring in about 25 bales an hour.

Slava Ukrainii

Would disagree on that. Went from a 75hp to 120hp and also having the use of a 90hp tractor at times I would never go under 115/120hp again. The comfort you have even from the extra weight of the tractors is well worth it. Could we manage the 200 bales or so we do, cleaning out sheds, muck/slurry, fert, cutting silage, tedding etc with less? Of course but there is a lot to be said for comfort and having a very capable machine well able for everything rather than struggling. Its much safer too imo especially for handling bales.

Also when we have work going on we can pull a dump trailer with comfort or do other heavy jobs that might be rare but still great to be able to do them yourself when needed.

I see so many people struggling with tractors too small we are much happier to have one that is a little big instead.

You didn't give a budget op and you asked for the best so my suggestion would be a Fendt 312.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I think the 5712 (or 5612) is 120hp.

The smaller ones in those series are 3 cylinder and I think they escape the adblue requirements

Have a 2018 5712
    Very nice tractor to do a days work in
    Have a 5ft 6 shear grab on her no problem

Plan on keeping her till she is 10 year old
    Putting up 1000hours a year on it

Have a 2018 5712
    Very nice tractor to do a days work in
    Have a 5ft 6 shear grab on her no problem

Plan on keeping her till she is 10 year old
    Putting up 1000hours a year on it

Do you have the factory fitted loader/joystick?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Would disagree on that. Went from a 75hp to 120hp and also having the use of a 90hp tractor at times I would never go under 115/120hp again. The comfort you have even from the extra weight of the tractors is well worth it. Could we manage the 200 bales or so we do, cleaning out sheds, muck/slurry, fert, cutting silage, tedding etc with less? Of course but there is a lot to be said for comfort and having a very capable machine well able for everything rather than struggling. Its much safer too imo especially for handling bales.

Also when we have work going on we can pull a dump trailer with comfort or do other heavy jobs that might be rare but still great to be able to do them yourself when needed.

I see so many people struggling with tractors too small we are much happier to have one that is a little big instead.

You didn't give a budget op and you asked for the best so my suggestion would be a Fendt 312.

Agree with this 100% went from a 4 cyl 90hp to 6cy 120hp. Mainly because of the silly asking prices for 15/20yr old 4 cyl loader tractors. Got the bigger one for alot less money than the equivalent yr in the 4cy. I can pull 2500 gallon tanker. And hired in dump trailer with no issues. 2 wet bales on back no issues. Do all own silage. I see lads paying ridiculous money For jd 6210 etc. And than handicap themselves from doing heavier work and relying on contractors as thier own not capable of the work.

Do you have the factory fitted loader/joystick?

Yes, a gift
    Wouldnt go back to a cable joystick again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Bazzer007

The only negative of buying 6 cyclinder tractor is higher fuel costs and it's that bit more difficult to get around small tight yards with a loader. 120bhp tractors are more comfortable and it's always nice to have that extra power if you need it. I'd rather buy a 120bhp if I had the choice.

Ours is 120hp 4 cylinder so don't have the increased fuel costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

Infairness a big tractor doing a job at her ease will burn much the same as a lighter tractor on her knees struggling all the time, I have both and wouldnt find much difference in diesel useage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

When all is said and done there is nt alot of difference in the common makes bar every make having the odd turkey.it really comes down to what you d like ,local good dealer and price.eg i have a buddy that likes the range command in nh whereas i prefer the way dynashift in a mf is set up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The question is how do you justify the spend of 50k on a piece of machinery that is only doing 2-300 hours work at half pace. While every farm needs a tractor you have to factor in the what it's doing and what costs are involved.
    It hard to justify a 50k tractor on drystock farms of sub 100/ acres. The thing about picking up a decent tractor is the time it takes. Some lads think that you should be able to rock up and get the tractor you require at the price by looking around for a week or two. Last tractor I bought took about 6 months to buy and as well another 2-3 months looking at options whether I could manage without a 4wd. It was the necessity of s loader that caught me. The options of putting it on the 2wd was not justified by the cost.

Slava Ukrainii

The question is how do you justify the spend of 50k on a piece of machinery that is only doing 2-300 hours work at half pace. While every farm needs a tractor you have to factor in the what it's doing and what costs are involved.
    It hard to justify a 50k tractor on drystock farms of sub 100/ acres. The thing about picking up a decent tractor is the time it takes. Some lads think that you should be able to rock up and get the tractor you require at the price by looking around for a week or two. Last tractor I bought took about 6 months to buy and as well another 2-3 months looking at options whether I could manage without a 4wd. It was the necessity of s loader that caught me. The options of putting it on the 2wd was not justified by the cost.

50k on a tractor with low hours work might be justified for the fella with the off-farm job who needs to rely on being able to do the jobs when they have to be done.

We bought a yoke along the lines of what the OP seems to be looking for. It was over 5 years old and just over 1250 hours. We'd be looking at putting up a min of 800 hours a year on it, and possibly more depending on how much of the work it is used for. But to me, it seems mental that someone bought a brand new yoke and used it so little. Salesman said the fella has a well-paid off-farm job and only really does it as a hobby. Probably writes the losses off his salary taxes....he traded it in for a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Well, no, the question was what 120hp tractor to buy. Just assume they have the money and let the thread run as it was intended, at least for a few days. Tractor talk is interesting, trying to justify them isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Iloverain

Yes, a gift
    Wouldnt go back to a cable joystick again

What’s the difference between the factory fitted and other ones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

• Advertisement

Iloverain wrote: »
    What’s the difference between the factory fitted and other ones?

Its integrated into the armrest and its electronic
    The arm rest has throttle, lifts, T bar for gears

On the joystick itself you have the plus and minus buttons for gears aswell as the 3rd service for the loader that can turn on and off 4wd aswell if you're at a job like loading muck where you need that extra bit of push

It was an extra at a cost of 2k but the tractor itself will be worth that but more at trade in I'd hope

Advertisement