Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chain Saw Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

I have a little Stihl for fencing and handy work. But I need a bigger saw to block bigger stuff. I saw a Proplus 54cc with a 20 inch bar for €299. Is it a good second saw to buy? It would only block the occasional tree.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Big, barely used Stihl 880 on ebay if anyone is looking for one, buyer beware and all that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-STIHL-MS880-MS-880-USED-TWICE-CHAINSAW/324294193341

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Just wondering if anyone on here used Ozaki bars and chains? Are they any good or are they to be avoided?
    Just curious
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

blue5000 wrote: »
    Big, barely used Stihl 880 on ebay if anyone is looking for one, buyer beware and all that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-STIHL-MS880-MS-880-USED-TWICE-CHAINSAW/324294193341

That’s some money on that. I got a non runner of one the start of the year for €100. Put another €400 into in genuine parts. Pot and piston along with a crank seal and some rubber parts. Bloody thing is an animal both in the wood and on your back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jmreire

That’s some money on that. I got a non runner of one the start of the year for €100. Put another €400 into in genuine parts. Pot and piston along with a crank seal and some rubber parts. Bloody thing is an animal both in the wood and on your back

Yeah, I bet it is !!! But would go through a 3 foot thick tree trunk like a hot knife through butter...:D:D:D

• Advertisement

jmreire wrote: »
    Yeah, I bet it is !!! But would go through a 3 foot thick tree trunk like a hot knife through butter...:D:D:D

I’d say it would be awhile going though it. There no where near as fast revving as say a 660. It would cut it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Thud

Came across a few wood wasps during the summer, are they common here?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭00wyk

I see in that vid you have an echo. I am looking for a lighter 30-40cc saw and some ppl say the echo runs very hot. Have you found this?

Sorry, I've been away a while.

The 390ESX Echo have a cat in the muffler, but it's easy enough to remove if it's causing issues.
    I have a friend who deals in Dolmar, and they have a very dandy saw in a 420/4300(The makita badging). I have one myself and love it. I also do porting on these saws as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭patspost

I do the odd little bit of chainsaw work, couple of times a year.
    I should do some training.
    What course should I do?
    Anywhere in Galway, Clare, Limerick area?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Thud wrote: »
    Came across a few wood wasps during the summer, are they common here?

I get lots of them in my Larch, a customer built a roundhouse from it and used it for an air b and b and had a few issues with emerging wood wasps, the building was mostly constructed from roundwood with the bark on.
    When I'm sawmilling in the summer I'll often watch a mother drill her little hole and deposit some eggs in my sawlogs.
    tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Thud

I get lots of them in my Larch, a customer built a roundhouse from it and used it for an air b and b and had a few issues with emerging wood wasps, the building was mostly constructed from roundwood with the bark on.
    When I'm sawmilling in the summer I'll often watch a mother drill her little hole and deposit some eggs in my sawlogs.
    tim

They are big insects, thought it was a hornet when I saw the first one.
    Do they cause much damage here or are number low enough for them not to be a problem?

Long winter evenings 'fixer upper' arrived this week. Compression is ok, has spark, have to get fuel issues sorted now. J'red 625 from 1996

532518.jpg

Long winter evenings 'fixer upper' arrived this week. Compression is ok, has spark, have to get fuel issues sorted now. J'red 625 from 1996

532518.jpg

New Carburettor??

Not yet Jm, will try a kit first. I've heard no one can get stuff directly from Tilly in Tralee, but looking on the website it seems ordinary Joes can contact them for parts. Will keep you posted, it will be an education for me.

Not yet Jm, will try a kit first. I've heard no one can get stuff directly from Tilly in Tralee, but looking on the website it seems ordinary Joes can contact them for parts. Will keep you posted, it will be an education for me.

You won't be the only one,,do you have one of those special cleaner's? They work using ultrasound as far as I know?

jmreire wrote: »
    You won't be the only one,,do you have one of those special cleaner's? They work using ultrasound as far as I know?

I don't have one, looked at getting one before alright. Shipping costs from China are not as cheap as they used to be. I see them on ebay for less than 100 quid for a 3L one. Wife's jewellery might have a wiff of petrol after a dip.:D Any recommendations?

I don't have one, looked at getting one before alright. Shipping costs from China are not as cheap as they used to be. I see them on ebay for less than 100 quid for a 3L one. Wife's jewellery might have a wiff of petrol after a dip.:D Any recommendations?
    Sorry blue5000, I'm looking for information about them too..:confused: And I can very well understand the reaction from your Wife handing her back her jewelry with more than a whiff of petrol coming from it......not a good idea ( and especially if she is a smoker...:cool: I've attached a link from youtube about one model, so have look and see what you think. I have two small engine carburettors that I've cleaned ( hatyer lawnmower, and a strimmer ) but despite a lot of work with fine paint brushes and petrol, they have improved, but still not right. Lots of them on offer though, from €30 upwards if you gogle them.

https://youtu.be/psNpTB44o2o

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Depending on the year it should swap a lot of bits with the Husqvarna 61 and later 272’s.

There’s no problem getting parts from tilloston in tralee. I’ve bought several carbs off them in person at the factory, ive had carbs rebuilt and posted back up. There very helpful to deal with. With the current covid in place the visits to the factory aren’t happening but ring them up and they’ll have no problem posting up kits of carbs.

There’s no problem getting parts from tilloston in tralee. I’ve bought several carbs off them in person at the factory, ive had carbs rebuilt and posted back up. There very helpful to deal with. With the current covid in place the visits to the factory aren’t happening but ring them up and they’ll have no problem posting up kits of carbs.

Thanks for that, I got that impression from the website that they are dealing with the public. After digging a bit deeper on line since and have matched up their part number to the kit I need. Next problem is I have to root in the bins, one of the wimin here thought the (dirty) black J'red covers was rubbish......:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I'm getting a saw for xmas. It'll be a general use farm saw so won't be felling anything massive with it

what are peoples opinions on the husqvarna 435 it looks to be a decent enough saw to me for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

I'm getting a saw for xmas. It'll be a general use farm saw so won't be felling anything massive with it

what are peoples opinions on the husqvarna 435 it looks to be a decent enough saw to me for the price

MKii gets good reviews, never used one myself.
    AM rentals up in Newry would be €345ish delivered, if you’ve a VAT number (or know anyone that does) take 20% off that as well.

Would put a 15” bar max onto one, ideally smaller though. I run a 15” bar on my 550.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I was looking to get a small saw that would last and take hard work. I figured the stihl ms 241 was the best bet. I think from memory it's a two handed version of the top handed saw used by tree surgeons.

The stihl ms 241, has 0.7kW more power than 435 for the same weight.

I haven't picked it up yet but AM Rentals will deliver it for £490 (British pounds ) ex VAT.

For a farmer who can claim back VAT and put saw price against tax there is a good argument for buying pro level saw; assuming you look after them regarding fuel/basic maintenance. Should be a tool for life

I was looking to get a small saw that would last and take hard work. I figured the stihl ms 241 was the best bet. I think from memory it's a two handed version of the top handed saw used by tree surgeons.

I haven't picked it up yet but AM Rentals will deliver it for £490 (British pounds ) ex VAT.

For a farmer who can claim back VAT and put saw price against tax there is a good argument for buying pro level saw; assuming you look after them regarding fuel/basic maintenance. Should be a tool for life

Take a look at the ms260. It’s small but professional grade forstery saw and not one of the home owner saws. There a good strong well build saw

For about the same price, you can also get a 261cm. You may want to check them out.

I ordered a carb for my 288xp from Tralee simply by emailing them. Good folks.

I have a question for you chainsaw users. I can bring in a lot of husqvarna mount bars from SugiHara, but they are nearly all 058 drive link. I have noticed lately the husky dealers are sort of disappearing around here. Where are people getting their 058 from?

00wyk wrote: »
    I have a question for you chainsaw users. I can bring in a lot of husqvarna mount bars from SugiHara, but they are nearly all 058 drive link. I have noticed lately the husky dealers are sort of disappearing around here. Where are people getting their 058 from?

Haven't bought a bar recently, but last few 058 chains came from ebay uk. What price would a 24 inch Sugihara bar with a D009 tail be? PM me if you prefer.

• Advertisement

Those sugihara bars are brilliant. I’ve got a few on some stihls.

Advertisement