Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

wrangler wrote: »
    Sheep can reach out further if the feed passage is higher than where they're standing, we've the feeding passage in the cattle shed 9 inches higher for that reason too

Oh okay but level will still work but silage would just need to be pushed in more often ??

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Young95 wrote: »
    How are the lads getting on with the pink eye problem? I have it back again abit with the ewes but dipping next week and will inject the few with it . It really is a scerg!

Picked out any lamb that had it or were starting to get it and injected them with procycline la.. Cleared them all but some of the lambs that were showing no signs of pinkeye have it now, so I think I'll bite the bullet and inject everything

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Young95

Picked out any lamb that had it or were starting to get it and injected them with procycline la.. Cleared them all but some of the lambs that were showing no signs of pinkeye have it now, so I think I'll bite the bullet and inject everything

Ya. That’s the problem with it’s wave after wave of it. I blanket injected the whole farm here bout 2 months ago which made a huge difference. But it still came bck in a few. On the bright side with winter on the way and less flies etc you’ll get on top of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Sold lambs on adverts today. Only put on yesterday and a man came from clare to buy them. Great job with none of the hassle of donedeal wasters

Another 3 ewes pulled and treated for pink eye and now in isolation. Is there anyone here who has actually been successful in getting it out of there flocks ? Such a pain to have it around !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Another 3 ewes pulled and treated for pink eye and now in isolation. Is there anyone here who has actually been successful in getting it out of there flocks ? Such a pain to have it around !

I had good results a few years back with opticlox ointment.. I had it about 20pc of a small bunch of ewe lambs..as far as I remember you need to catch them 3 says in a row and put ointment in corner of eye.. I only treated the affected ones.. cleared it up and stayed gone.. maybe I got lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Neighbour had it a few years ago, did nothing all ewes cleared up in a few weeks. Even a few that went completely blind

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Neighbour had it a few years ago, did nothing all ewes cleared up in a few weeks. Even a few that went completely blind

Yes I’m starting to believe that . I had one llynn ewe here that got it I’d say 3 or 4 times but the last time I didn’t bother treating her and it cleared up itself . I’m hoping she’s immuned to it now ! Which according to my vet they can’t ! But I see in nz they have built up immunity to it over der in there flocks .

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

MIKEKC wrote: »

I don't treat mine for it unless they actually can't see and then treat with a mastitis tube or a drop of oxytet. this year ewes had it for a couple of weeks in august/september but none bad enough to bother. blanket treating the flock will only lead to antibiotic resistance and not help in the long run.
    boosting selenium/vit e levels may be a better coarse of action

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    I don't treat mine for it unless they actually can't see and then treat with a mastitis tube or a drop of oxytet. this year ewes had it for a couple of weeks in august/september but none bad enough to bother. blanket treating the flock will only lead to antibiotic resistance and not help in the long run.
    boosting selenium/vit e levels may be a better coarse of action

And those it heal up itself? Even if there’s runny tear drops down along there faces coming from there eyes when it’s shut ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

And those it heal up itself? Even if there’s runny tear drops down along there faces coming from there eyes when it’s shut ?

clears up itself, like many things it just has to run its course ,we only buy in rams and new rams often are 'weepy' witin a few weeks of arrival. Whatever strain of the bug we have doesn't seem to cause an ulcer to form on the eye they just go cloudy and weepy and then clears up.

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    clears up itself, like many things it just has to run its course ,we only buy in rams and new rams often are 'weepy' witin a few weeks of arrival. Whatever strain of the bug we have doesn't seem to cause an ulcer to form on the eye they just go cloudy and weepy and then clears up.

Ya I think I’m going to have to just bite the bullet and let it run it’s coarse . Thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi All,

Not a sheep man, but normally i buy in texel cross ewe lambs for the winter to clean up the ground so that i have nice fresh spring grass for the cattle. This year however i am finding it very difficult to purchase these lambs.

With this in mind, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with wether ram lambs. Seen a few bunches advertised but i have no experience of them, i even had to google what a wether lamb was!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What I am mainly interested in is, Are they hard fatten, what sort of money would they average this time of year to buy, Would they be any different to ewe lambs in terms of looking after them over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi All,

Not a sheep man, but normally i buy in texel cross ewe lambs for the winter to clean up the ground so that i have nice fresh spring grass for the cattle. This year however i am finding it very difficult to purchase these lambs.

With this in mind, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with wether ram lambs. Seen a few bunches advertised but i have no experience of them, i even had to google what a wether lamb was!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What I am mainly interested in is, Are they hard fatten, what sort of money would they average this time of year to buy, Would they be any different to ewe lambs in terms of looking after them over the winter.

No difference to manage compared to ewe lambs really, and will grow the same or slightly better. No issue fattening them and actually an easier job to finish than rams or ewe lambs and the rams can get lean and the ewe lambs can get too fat so they are a nice intermediate.

You will be looking at approx €20 less for a weather compared to the same weight/quality ewe Lamb..:..€20 difference is for breeding potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

roosky wrote: »
    No difference to manage compared to ewe lambs really, and will grow the same or slightly better. No issue fattening them and actually an easier job to finish than rams or ewe lambs and the rams can get lean and the ewe lambs can get too fat so they are a nice intermediate.

You will be looking at approx €20 less for a weather compared to the same weight/quality ewe Lamb..:..€20 difference is for breeding potential.

Thanks allot roosky for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

How is breeding season going for lads that have rams out? Rams out since Saturday evening here. 35% tipped so far. Will change raddle colour on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone on here know if the sheep sales in baltinglass mart are online and if so which site holds them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone on here know if the sheep sales in baltinglass mart are online and if so which site holds them?
    Got the following text;

Baltinglass Mart are now trading ONLINE on MartBids. If you want to buy ONLINE please download the MartBids app from the App Store or Google play Store. It is FREE to download. You will need your email address and herd number to register and BID. Baltinglass Mart will need to approve your request to BID before you BID. Please allow time to familiarise yourself with the APP and the bidding process.

kk.man wrote: »
    Got the following text;

Baltinglass Mart are now trading ONLINE on MartBids. If you want to buy ONLINE please download the MartBids app from the App Store or Google play Store. It is FREE to download. You will need your email address and herd number to register and BID. Baltinglass Mart will need to approve your request to BID before you BID. Please allow time to familiarise yourself with the APP and the bidding process.

Thank you, not seeing it on mart bids though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Wonder how will the marts that sell in the pens manage

Quite a few are still doing it and not suitable for selling in the ring

• Advertisement

Anyone any tips for putting raddle paste on Rams to make it last longer, mixing it here with cooking oil but after about 10 or less ewes the Rams need to be topped up again and am not in a position to catch them every 2 or 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Anyone any tips for putting raddle paste on Rams to make it last longer, mixing it here with cooking oil but after about 10 or less ewes the Rams need to be topped up again and am not in a position to catch them every 2 or 3 days

Could you use a harness instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Mix it with grease & cheap motor oil

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Could you use a harness instead?

The raddle is really messing, I don't know why any one uses it when a harness is available. They're only about €30 and they last years, it's important to tighten them after a couple days though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

wrangler wrote: »
    The raddle is really messing, I don't know why any one uses it when a harness is available. They're only about €30 and they last years, it's important to tighten them after a couple days though

Would you have to tighten them just the once? My fear with them is if there are hurting the ram and cause sores

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Would you have to tighten them just the once? My fear with them is if there are hurting the ram and cause sores

I'd never put them on for the first fortnight of mating, that's when the rams would be busiest and sweating, if they scanned in lamb then and weren't marked they'd be lambing in the first fortnight,
    so yes would only have to tighten once if that

Would lads cull a ewe that is starting to bring up her cud ? Or would she get thinner over time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Would lads cull a ewe that is starting to bring up her cud ? Or would she get thinner over time ?

If her mouth is often green yes get rid while she’s in good order. Hard to cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

orm0nd wrote: »
    Wonder how will the marts that sell in the pens manage

Quite a few are still doing it and not suitable for selling in the ring

Tuned in to the sheep sale in Dowra last Friday.
    The internet camera moved from pen to pen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Very little experience with sheep first off. Bought 10 store lambs on Saturday and all running around fine. Noticed yesterday one of them lame in 1 foot. Fella I bought from said they had been vaccinated with foot vax but don't know. Am in the process of building a bit of a pen in the field and they are coming to the meal trough so won't be able catch them often so wondering what's my best coarse of action. Have no foot bath and even if I had the lamb wouldn't be able to stand on concrete after. Seen an interesting thing where someone on a smallholding was using a Wellington to foot bath. Also seen a reusable sheep shoe for bathing but don't know if it ever went into production. Am I better trying to footbath and if so with what, or would I be better with an injection or spray. Not to worried about the cost more want what will be most effective and not having to try and catch too often. Sorry about all the questions but as I said am starting off.

Advertisement