Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-11-2019, 23:12   #16
BDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonWhiskey View Post
People born in Ireland today are among the luckiest to have ever been born. They live in the wealthiest era, in one of the wealthiest countries in the world with great opportunity.
Haha you might say that if you spend your time with the haves, never seeing the have nots getting up earlier than you to pour your coffee that you pay 3 quid for. The same people hoping to one day be made supervisor earning themselves 50 cent an hour more and working 20 unpaid hours extra a week for the priveledge.

Probably on the first bus or train in the morning, system failed them, they didn’t fail the system like Hollywood movie will tell you.
Advertisement
14-11-2019, 23:15   #17
dxhound2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDI View Post
Haha you might say that if you spend your time with the haves, never seeing the have nots getting up earlier than you to pour your coffee that you pay 3 quid for. The same people hoping to one day be made supervisor earning themselves 50 cent an hour more and working 20 unpaid hours extra a week for the priveledge.

Probably on the first bus or train in the morning, system failed them, they didn’t fail the system like Hollywood movie will tell you.
You're one of the haves.
(2) thanks from:
14-11-2019, 23:18   #18
BDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhound2005 View Post
You're one of the haves.
I am. I havnt always been. I got a bit lucky with circumstance.
14-11-2019, 23:21   #19
dxhound2005

Quote:
I am. I havnt always been. I got a bit lucky with circumstance.
That's what the other poster said. You are lucky to be living in the most prosperous part of the world in the most prosperous times in history. Unless you know sometime or somewhere better?
Thanks from:
14-11-2019, 23:27   #20
BDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhound2005 View Post
That's what the other poster said. You are lucky to be living in the most prosperous part of the world in the most prosperous times in history. Unless you know sometime or somewhere better?
I am, but a 20 year old lad Leaving school today has nothing unless his parents put him through college in a profession that he is lucky enough to make money out of and his first couple of years work.

If they don’t he may as well be one of the Matrix battery people stuttering through life worrying about his car breaking or getting pulled for not having nct. If he has a car and his job has parking that is.
Advertisement
14-11-2019, 23:29   #21
boring accountant

Quote:

That was me once. I'm still on ****e wages but at least I have future prospects.

Some of the people I worked with in minimum wage jobs had law or engineering degrees from their home countries but came here because the wages are better. I doubt they really consider themselves have-nots.
14-11-2019, 23:29   #22
BDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonWhiskey View Post
They failed themselves.
That’s what Hollywood tells you. Yes.

Should have took an internship at a solicitors after law school and worked 700 hours a week so that they could finally get out of their bedsit they raised their family in.
14-11-2019, 23:32   #23
BDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by boring accountant View Post
That was me once. I'm still on ****e wages but at least I have future prospects.

Some of the people I worked with in minimum wage jobs had law or engineering degrees from their home countries but came here because the wages are better. I doubt they really consider themselves have-nots.
I go into the slums they live in, in town sometimes to fix their houses. I doubt anybody here could live in them conditions.

Lukewarm yoghurts, not a bother. Not everybody can have a fridge. Pee out the back when the toilets blocked from constant use
15-11-2019, 00:14   #24
Your Face

It's alright to say things can only get better,
You haven't lost your brand new sweater
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-11-2019, 00:24   #25
BDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Face View Post
It's alright to say things can only get better,
You haven't lost your brand new sweater
Oh no
Thanks from:
15-11-2019, 00:32   #26
Hello 2D Person Below

I can't see any reason why there would be.

Unlike Venezuela and Bolivia, we'd actually welcome a military coup. Then again, our military hasn't a handgun between them.

I mean, if we haven't stormed Leinster House over the homeless/housing crisis or the dismantling of our health service, we're never going to do anything.

I honestly believe the only thing would get the Irish out in the streets in unison is if we were invaded by another country.
Thanks from:
15-11-2019, 00:36   #27
J_E

Quote:
I am, but a 20 year old lad Leaving school today has nothing unless his parents put him through college in a profession that he is lucky enough to make money out of and his first couple of years work.

If they don’t he may as well be one of the Matrix battery people stuttering through life worrying about his car breaking or getting pulled for not having nct. If he has a car and his job has parking that is.
Bull**** statement. Ireland offers so many opportunities for anyone who wants to get on to get through college and towards a goal. Circumstance doesn't excuse you from ambition

The level of fantasy coming from this statement is very telling. It's very easy to rant on about stuff like this without actually having a base on reality.

Quote:

There are these 'have-nots' pouring coffees living a good earning life in Dublin city with opportunity to work anywhere in the world.

Last edited by J_E; 15-11-2019 at 00:40.
15-11-2019, 01:14   #28
BDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_E View Post
Bull**** statement. Ireland offers so many opportunities for anyone who wants to get on to get through college and towards a goal. Circumstance doesn't excuse you from ambition

The level of fantasy coming from this statement is very telling. It's very easy to rant on about stuff like this without actually having a base on reality.

There are these 'have-nots' pouring coffees living a good earning life in Dublin city with opportunity to work anywhere in the world.
If all the have nots pee off to somewhere better who will cut your parents grass?
15-11-2019, 02:06   #29
Overheal
Covfefe Connoisseur

Send a message via ICQ to Overheal Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
'In the year 20XX...'
15-11-2019, 02:21   #30
Mules

When it didn't happen during the bailout and austerity it ain't going to happen.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion