Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Premiership Rugby 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Madigan is reportedly on far too much money to be lining out for the B team and might well be on the way out. not inconceivable he returns to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

His contract is up at the end of the year. Ulster might be his only hope with the other provinces well served. He will end up at another English club. His goalkicking stats are good enough to attract a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He’d struggle to start at any of the provinces

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Quinn's v Leicester live on Channel 5 at 4.30 today.
    Yup I'm bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Brain dead from Joe Marler there. Hasn’t given his team a chance in this game now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Have Tigers installed a screen in front of the coaches area since Geordans row with a fan recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think Madigan is on the bench today for once. Not sure he's played yet this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think Madigan is on the bench today for once. Not sure he's played yet this season.

Nope hasn't gotten a single minute ahead of Sheedy or Lloyd, was playing for their A team for a couple of games.

Funny old game. Leicester had a handy lead, Bristol score and convert, then run the pitch directly from the restart to score again. Wasn't even a tackle completed or a ruck, went the length of the field. No conversion but 12 points scored in about 90 seconds and game on again.

Another loss for London Irish and Leicester picking up a win means there's now only two points between the two teams, and LI have Northampton away for their next Premiership game, then Quins and Gloucester, whereas Leicester have Bath then Wasps, so good chance they'll end up at the bottom of the table by the end of February.

Jackson's out with a hamstring injury, hasn't played at 10 since their win against Wasps mid October, had a couple of starts at 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Saracens new (old) boss Edward Griffiths talking about immediate salary and/or job cuts to meet the salary cap as early as possible this season.

Another loss for London Irish and Leicester picking up a win means there's now only two points between the two teams, and LI have Northampton away for their next Premiership game, then Quins and Gloucester, whereas Leicester have Bath then Wasps, so good chance they'll end up at the bottom of the table by the end of February.

Jackson's out with a hamstring injury, hasn't played at 10 since their win against Wasps mid October, had a couple of starts at 15.

I've watched bits of LI and Leicester's last few games and LI really look poor, which Leicester are definitely improving now all their RWC players are properly back. They lost Ford, Youngs, Tuilagi, May, Cole all to the RWC. On their current trajectories I definitely think Leicester will finish ahead of LI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Also on the subject of Saracens, Exeter have said that the £350,000 they will get as their share of the Saracen's fine is going to charity.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Saracens new (old) boss Edward Griffiths talking about immediate salary and/or job cuts to meet the salary cap as early as possible this season.

Interesting, before Christmas Wray was insistent that they were in regulation of the salary cap for this season, I'd say Griffiths must be getting some wage to be the hit man for all that's to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Relegation for LI would be a disaster for Jackson. A second relegation in a row and as you say he hasn't even been first choice 10 for LI - hardly will have teams banging on his door, and that's not to mention all the baggage he carries.

I really couldn't see a Premiership Team signing him, I think he'd have no choice but to slug it out in the Championship and hope they bounce straight back up - which they surely would in fairness, but hardly ideal playing Championship rugby when pushing 30

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Rugbypass reporting that George Kruis is off to Japan this summer. The first of the big England names to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Interesting. Also strong rumours of Liam Williams heading back to Scarlets before the end of the season. Be interesting what else comes out of all this salary cap stuff and who else will have to leave to balance the books

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

conor678 wrote: »
    Interesting. Also strong rumours of Liam Williams heading back to Scarlets before the end of the season. Be interesting what else comes out of all this salary cap stuff and who else will have to leave to balance the books

Liam Williams to Scarlets was officially announced over Christmas. Whether he leaves early or not is moot seeing as he's out injured for most of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Liam Williams to Scarlets was officially announced over Christmas. Whether he leaves early or not is moot seeing as he's out injured for most of the season.

According to the 42 podcast he won't actually count towards the salary cap this year if he doesn't feature at all. Sounds odd but may be the reason behind cutting him early.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,976 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

According to the new saracens chief exec. On the greenwood podcast, once the team is in compliance on June 19 (I think its the date) then that's all that matters. It worth listening to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    According to the new saracens chief exec. On the greenwood podcast, once the team is in compliance on June 19 (I think its the date) then that's all that matters. It worth listening to

I haven't thought this statement through really, but my initial reaction there is "So as long as they get rid of players at the end of the season, they can basically get away with another season of cheating".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So it turns out that the initial punishment decided on for Saracens was a points deduction of 70 points. Hadbthat been applied they would have been relegated. The PRL decided that "wasn't in the spirit of the competition" and reduced that to 35 points. Now I understand that you cant have that many English players playing in the Championship, but imagine Leicester get relegated. A big name club that has done nothing wrong and actually acted quite prudently financially. Had the original punishment stuck Leicester would have been safe. They'd be paying the price to keep Saracens up should they go down. How pissed would they and their fans be? And rightly so. And how bad a message does that actually send?

molloyjh wrote: »
    So it turns out that the initial punishment decided on for Saracens was a points deduction of 70 points. Hadbthat been applied they would have been relegated. The PRL decided that "wasn't in the spirit of the competition" and reduced that to 35 points. Now I understand that you cant have that many English players playing in the Championship, but imagine Leicester get relegated. A big name club that has done nothing wrong and actually acted quite prudently financially. Had the original punishment stuck Leicester would have been safe. They'd be paying the price to keep Saracens up should they go down. How pissed would they and their fans be? And rightly so. And how bad a message does that actually send?

Guaranteeing Saracens relegation was never going to happen. The PRL and the RFU wouldn't send the biggest provider of national team players down into the second tier for a season.

But if I was a Leicester or London Irish fan, whoever gets relegated, I'd probably be more pissed off that despite the points deduction Sarries continued the season with zero squad changes for the first half of the season, with almost the exact same team that breached the salary cap for the previous season.

Common sense would have been that the PRL should have told them they wouldn't be receiving any points until they got their squad below the salary cap, and not just let them continue as is and fix it at the end of the season after they avoid regulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Rumours Jonny May could be on his way out in the summer

If Leicester do manage to survive they are absolutely goosed next season if he leaves. He single handedly won the game for them last weekend and is arguably the form wing in test rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

jr86 wrote: »
    Rumours Jonny May could be on his way out in the summer

If Leicester do manage to survive they are absolutely goosed next season if he leaves. He single handedly won the game for them last weekend and is arguably the form wing in test rugby

To Saracens is the rumour. There's be murder amongst the other clubs if that happened

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Was about to post that. Massive blow for Harlequins and yet another big name, big money player for Bristol.

And one hell of an announcement video.

Bristol's social media team are very good at their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »
    Was about to post that. Massive blow for Harlequins and yet another big name, big money player for Bristol.

And one hell of an announcement video.

I assume he'll be replacing Afoa who is surely retiring at this point.

Bristol splashed the cash when they were coming up but, when you actually look at their squad, I don't think they've too many stars at all. 2 or 3 properly big names and then some fringe internationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Advertisement