Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

They way the WRU run the pro game is a farce, but there's no way they'd allow all the regions to fail. They want control of the internationals just as much as the IRFU does and they'd have zero control of they all played in England.

They've lost Liam Williams, Dan Biggar and that scrum half in Toulon in the past couple of years (others too, but I can't think of any names), so it ain't working too well for them!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

171170 wrote: »
    They've lost Liam Williams, Dan Biggar and that scrum half in Toulon in the past couple of years (others too, but I can't think of any names), so it ain't working too well for them!

Yes, they've lost players. So has Ireland. The vast majority of Welsh internationals still play in Wales however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Yes, they've lost players. So has Ireland. The vast majority of Welsh internationals still play in Wales however.

Yep I miss Paddy Jackson too! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

171170 wrote: »
    Yep I miss Paddy Jackson too! ;)

Speaking of Paddy, he is lining out at full back for LI. Stephen Meyler, ex Northampton is at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

The Welsh really undermined the competition with their game against the Barbarians. That scenario shouldn't be allowed by the unions but I guess they are stuck for cash. If the club game collapses in Wales perhaps their union would be happy for the English clubs to pick up their players.

It would leave the Scots and Irish in a right pickle then. It wouldn't be a good position to be in going into discussions for a new league.
    can we not drop the Welsh teams from the league, the add nothing to it, have a 10 team league, I doubt the English want them either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Liam Williams is on his way back to the Scarlets when his contract with Saracens ends at the end of the season. He is still only 28.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50869036

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

can we not drop the Welsh teams from the league, the add nothing to it, have a 10 team league, I doubt the English want them either

I feel like this wouldn’t make much sense... I presume thebWelsh are stakeholders in the pro 14 and as such a whole new competition would need to be set up to exclude them....

Seems like a lot of bother with minimal benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

and replace income with what? It wouldnt be good for us to lose out on them in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,270 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

You mean the union that have provided the league champions six times since 2002, the most recent being two years ago?

Yeah, they add nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

For the three seasonal 'interpros' games, is the arrangment that the four provinces show agree in advance what strength teams they will play with the expectation being that each province win one, lose one, and contend one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

You mean the union that have provided the league champions six times since 2002, the most recent being two years ago?

Yeah, they add nothing.
    Welsh rugby is a mess financially, the regions should be cut loose before they go broke or go to the premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Welsh rugby is a mess financially, the regions should be cut loose before they go broke or go to the premiership
    we cant afford to lose them and they are not going to join the premiership. Removing them will not help us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I would hope that once the Millennium Stadium is finally paid for that the Welsh regions will get more money from the WRU and so be more competitive.

I don't know if this is just a pipe dream though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I would hope that once the Millennium Stadium is finally paid for that the Welsh regions will get more money from the WRU and so be more competitive.

I don't know if this is just a pipe dream though.

They'll be getting a pay off from the CVC deal, but money isn't the issue with the Welsh regions. They've got central contracts and funding from the WRU as it is, the main issue is the lack of support and lack of depth in squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,270 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Scarlets 44 - 0 Ospreys

Ospreys are just poisonous these days. Hard to see them ever get back to their heights the way they're playing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

20-0 at halftime too so it's not like Scarlets ran away with it at the end, it looks like it was a fairly comprehensive beat down.

Only the Kings are lower than them in the overall table but the Kings have played 2 less games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭OldRio

Ben v Zeb on FreeSports at the moment. Good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Zebre are embarrassing. Getting bullied by a team who had a man sent off after 15 minutes. People can bad mouth the premiership all they want. There are more teams in the Pro14 who are dross than in England.

Zebre, Kings, Dragons and Ospreys are useless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well it was a good game. Benetton pulling away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

That is shocking refereeing in the Scottish derby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Schoeman is some player.

Edinburgh - Glasgow a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Strange scenes at the end of it, ref paused the clock for the conversion at 79:55, made Glasgow take the restart and then didn't blow it up after a knock-on a couple of seconds after the restart (clock was at around (81 minutes at that stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Zebre are embarrassing. Getting bullied by a team who had a man sent off after 15 minutes. People can bad mouth the premiership all they want. There are more teams in the Pro14 who are dross than in England.

I watched Bristol v Wasps last night and the standard was dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bridge93 wrote: »

We also have more teams in our league. Unfortunately the addition of 2 new teams from SA has meant 1 new whipping boy.

The thing is, nobody peddles a line about the Pro14 being a great league. That's said about the Premiership all the time. But its filled predominantly with a whole pile of average teams playing average rugby. Saracens have been a step above, illegally as we've seen, and Exeter have been good too, although their record in Europe is very poor. So theres really only 1 top team in what is deemed to be a top league. And they're proven cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's too many fixtures in the calendar to the dominant in Europe and a domestic competition that is competitive, unless you're Toulon circa 2013-15 when they had an (1) an incredible squad of 20-25 starters to rotate throughout the season, (2) leaders across the pitch like Guirado, Fernandez Lobbe and Wilkinson and (3) relatively few international absences.

Putting three interpro weeks together over the festive period is a relatively recent change and it's terrible. Two interpro games is fine.

AdamD wrote: »
    I watched Bristol v Wasps last night and the standard was dreadful

It was pathetic. Two groups of well paid talented footballers who absolutely didn't give a rashers. These were experienced teams and the intensity was a fraction of that in the Munster v Leinster game, which featured largely second string players.

I challenge anyone to watch both and try to argue they are approaching the same level of commitment.

There's too many fixtures in the calendar to the dominant in Europe and a domestic competition that is competitive, unless you're Toulon circa 2013-15 when they had an (1) an incredible squad of 20-25 starters to rotate throughout the season, (2) leaders across the pitch like Guirado, Fernandez Lobbe and Wilkinson and (3) relatively few international absences.

Putting three interpro weeks together over the festive period is a relatively recent change and it's terrible. Two interpro games is fine.

I think it's good that a mix of experience among the provinces get to size each other up from time to time. This generates a lot of good feedback within the national team environment as to opposition players strengths and some of their weaknesses. The players get a lot of good feedback from these games and get to play infront of a loud partisan crowd which has value in itself.

I also like to see developing talent in these kinds of mash up games. There are often breakthrough performances that showcase when a player has legitimately progressed to international standard among a more reasonable reflection of their peers.

I thought Andrew Porter was probably chief among these today. He had one big error and another where the ball went back and then forward off a foot so not entirely his fault. But his physicality in defense hurt Munster. He might be the most powerful man in rugby and he's learnt how to use it. I'd love a journalist to have a good look at his performances this season because I think he's been absolutely sensational.

Will Connors similarly was outputting at a different level to those around him. Absolutely relentless and expect his stat sheet to be interesting reading. He was there every time momentum shifted and his speed and effort off the line had a visible impact on JJ's game.

Jack O'Donoghue also showed why he should be in contention for the six nations and also why Munster are wasting him at 7 in a team lacking ball carriers. Thought his overall involvement at 8 eclipsed anything I've seen from him at 7.

Doris absolutely worthy of the motm but I feel he had less overall impact than the above 3. He's no problems at this level at all though and has a bit of Keiron Reed about him, extremely focused, aware and athletic player.

Final word to Scott Fardy. What an amazing signing. I posted during the game that he was the glue to Leinsters performance. He was right there to fill in the gaps when the pack was not firing on all cylinders. Doris got absolutely smashed later in the second half and was about to get floored to deck, Fardy had seen it coming and latched at the last second to Doris maintaining the gainline. I'm itching for a copy of the game to get online so I can watch it back. It should be the first thing every child entering the game of rugby watches. I can't get over how committed Fardy is to the cause. He gives international level effort every single time he plays. The absolute legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Anyone post it on you tube?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

There's too many fixtures in the calendar to the dominant in Europe and a domestic competition that is competitive,

I have always believed the future of rugby is an NFL style euro league or at least a Britain & Ire NFL style league. Fewer games of higher quality with bigger crowds and more money. I was critical of NFL and US sports in the past as it was more about overall entertainment than the sport itself. I now realise that is the only way rugby will grow and survive.

Advertisement