Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farming Indo: 'I'm in trouble with the guards after a neighbour borrowed my shotgun'

• 20-05-2020 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭

Article in yesterday's farming Independent (20 May 2020) Legal Advice section:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/legal-advice/im-in-trouble-with-the-guards-after-a-neighbour-borrowed-my-shotgun-39207644.html

First bit:
    Q I have had a shotgun for years and the only real use it's had is for scaring crows after I've sown corn. I've always had a licence for it and no issues getting this from the local Garda station.

The other week I lent the gun to my neighbour who has borrowed a few times in the last couple of years since he started doing a bit of tillage. He's used a crow banger and he has asked to borrow my gun when pigeons have been a problem.

My issue is that last week I got a call from the Garda station.

The field my neighbour was using the gun in is near a built-up area and it seems that his son took the gun with his friend and they fired a shot that hit a house near the field. No one was hurt, but the owners of the house called the Gardai and they want a statement from me. My neighbour didn't mention it when he returned the gun, but I'm worried I could be liable as the gun owner?

The author responds detailing the procedures involved in acquiring a Firearm Certificate and the responsibilities of, and legal consequences for, the gun owner in this case, but I'd say the neighbour and their son would be well advised to consult their solicitor too.
    There are a LOAD of offences going on there, should the Gardai/DPP choose to pursue them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Melodeon wrote: »
    Article in yesterday's farming Independent (20 May 2020) Legal Advice section:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/legal-advice/im-in-trouble-with-the-guards-after-a-neighbour-borrowed-my-shotgun-39207644.html

First bit:

The author responds detailing the procedures involved in acquiring a Firearm Certificate and the responsibilities of, and legal consequences for, the gun owner in this case, but I'd say the neighbour and their son would be well advised to consult their solicitor too.
    There are a LOAD of offences going on there, should the Gardai/DPP choose to pursue them.

He better hope that the derogation to shoot pigeons over corn is amended so that he can get somebody to "scare crows", cos I doubt that he will ever have gun again, and his neighbor will be lucky if he doesn't get a custodial sentence - unauthorized use of a firearm, criminal damage etc.

Jesus, how stupid can you get

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Vizzy wrote: »
    He better hope that the derogation to shoot pigeons over corn is amended so that he can get somebody to "scare crows", cos I doubt that he will ever have gun again, and his neighbor will be lucky if he doesn't get a custodial sentence - unauthorized use of a firearm, criminal damage etc.

The Solrs advice aint up to scratch either.Doesnt know the difference between an unrestricted and restricted liscense.She is describing the old farmers liscense that allowed you to shoot vermin only which AFAIR has gone the way of the Dodo since 2008.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Vizzy wrote: »

Whoever dreamed up that rubbish had little to be at. Crows, magpies, pigeons etc are a nuisance, and i used to shoot them out of hand no matter what time of the year it was.

One of the eu's finest, like the 900 watt limit on vacuum cleaners i suppose ?

Advertisement