Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clay pigeon trap

Options
  • 04-04-2020 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Lads can anyone recommend a good trap for a bit of clay practice. One that can be operated by the shooter. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Depends on your budget.
    Bought a Promatic Hawk trap of a neighbour who had got ill.
    Hook it to a 12v battery and it's very handy.
    Good long lead with a switch, so you can go 30 or 40 yards away and have them crossing in front of you, etc. if you are on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Looking at a promatic one for 500. Probably last me a while. I dont shoot much clays just want it for the odd time. Seen some manual small traps for less than 100. Dont know what they are like though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

eoin.d wrote: »
    Looking at a promatic one for 500. Probably last me a while. I dont shoot much clays just want it for the odd time. Seen some manual small traps for less than 100. Dont know what they are like though

A manual one doesn't really work unless you have someone to work it, awkward trying to nudge it to release while holding a loaded gun...
    It's a lot of money for occasional use, I'll grant you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I have a Hoppes clay thrower.Was about 120 euros, Fine for occasional use,and with abit of ingenuity and a welder, you can modify it to a foot pedal release,thus making things incredibly safer:)
    Just have plenty of strong foam tape like window or daraught excluder foam tape.It eats that in the throwing arm,and will give no end of dead birds without it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement