Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I have one of those Luzula sylvatica in front garden and never had a problem with it spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You probably don't have a wet garden. If its growing near water then its keen spreader.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 batteriess

Hi! I'm housesitting for an elderly relative and just cleaning up some beds. This is all over the base of the bed. I presume it's a weed but just want to identify it out of curiosity. It's pretty thick and dense but comes up easy enough.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Looks like Geranium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭standardg60

Or Persicaria

No good deed goes unpunished!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Any ideas? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cyclamen. The bunnies ate all ours, dug up every one!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Aha, you're a genius, @looksee. 🙂 I've been watching them to see if they were going to do anything that would help me identify them. 😄

Posy, they have flowered, those things sticking up are seedpods. They won't do anything much more till next spring, though I find they can have a tendency to rot away. If they are still good at this stage they will likely last.

• Advertisement

Post edited by standardg60 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I believe this could be a hardy geranium? Is this a flower or weed? I don't know how it got here. I cut a tree out and everywhere was full of wood and chippings and this has grown up.

How tall can it grow? Will it keep on spreading outwards?

Herb Robert - Geranium Robertianum https://www.rhs.org.uk/weeds/herb-robert

Not the worst of weeds and at least it is a native. Once you have it then it tends to spread but is very easily dealt with. We have it all over the place in walls and gravel but rarely get it growing in any flower beds that get any attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It won't take over the grass will it? I wouldn't mind it spreading to the rest of the wooded area as long as it doesn't grow high. It's nice and colourful.

You said the magic words wooded area, damp (but not wet) shade is what it really likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Is this a weed or a plant? It's huge and the leaves look slightly fuzzy, and are a white/silvery green

(Photo was taken with a flash so look green than they are)

This is Great Mullein, Verbascum thapsus, a spectacular wildflower. Tall inflorescence with flowers that open in ones and twos.

Just came to say the same as blaris, I have one popped up in a sloping 'flower bed' that is 100% sand and rock - if something wants to grow in there it is more than welcome. They are pretty spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Thanks folks. No idea how it got there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭karlitob

Could anyone kindly help identify this plant please.

white flowers that have now faded. Beautiful perfume. Is it evergreen?

thank you

• Advertisement

Its Choisya but one of the varieties. Its not Choisya ternarta per se as that has much much wider leaves. Perhaps something more akin to Choisya ternata Snow Flurries or Aztec Pearl?

Edit> Should have said common name is Mexican Orange Blossom.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thank you so much. It’s a beautiful specimen.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 marcusw

Not sure if this is the correct place for identifying pests, please let me know if it's elsewhere.

Just moved into a new house and there are some pests on the rhubarb. There are bigger ones that look like black ants which seem to be farming smaller things, also black. The smaller things are growing on what seem to be flowers the rhubarb is about to produce. They are on the new growth so might be sucking sap out.

Any idea what the pests are and how to deal with them?

Thank you.

Just cut the flower off and get rid of most of the black fly in one hit. You're not supposed to leave the flowers on rhubarb as they weaken the plant.

Edit> From above does is make any sense to have a pest and disease megathread?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Black aphids. The ants are a dead giveaway. Spray them regularly with soapy water/water with washing-up liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 marcusw

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Yes, either another thread for identifying pests and diseases or it could be combined with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Any idea what this could be, Looks like it came in on compost from Counsel a few years back. Plant IDer is says Privet or Chilian Mrytle.

I don't think its privet. Could be the myrtle but my first thought was cotoneaster. A look at the shape of the plant would be helpful though.

Myrtle for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Advertisement