Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and licence applications

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Been out to the let to see whats going on,and specifically drove a "long way around" to see was there anyone about of the law enforcement community. Nowt a soul.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Handed in a rifle substitution application on the 20th of March. Cert came today, North Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

Took under a week for a renewal roxbroro limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭pm.

Sounds positive I just left in an application yesterday, hope it's not too long to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Theres no CPO visits in certain districts

• Advertisement

Got my restricted liscense application in the mail today.Took abit of prodding with a couple to reminder texts.and a phone to the Cheifs office.But it arrived.Main thing.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Got my restricted liscense application in the mail today.Took abit of prodding with a couple to reminder texts.and a phone to the Cheifs office.But it arrived.Main thing.

The application or grant letter?
    I had a restricted renewal through in the last few days & afaik, we have the same Chief.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Substitution done within three weeks (if you don't count the nonsense of having to surrender your old license before they'll issue the new one).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Five and a half months ago I sold a rifle to a fella in Dublin and he's still waiting on the licence, in the meantime I can't substitute the licence for the rifle I bought to replace it which is an RFD up the country.

ARGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Why?

Just have the rifle you sold stored/signed into an RFD and substitute away. Then when the guy gets his license he collects it from the RFD.

If you want you can even arrange a meeting with the chap to store in an RFD of his choice, finalise the deal (as in get paid) and sign it into that RFD so the chap doesn't have to travel down to Kerry when his license does come through.

Just a thought.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Why?

Just have the rifle you dold stored/signed into an RFD and substitute away. Then when the guy gets his license he collects it from the RFD.

If you want you can even arrange a meeting with the chap to store in an RFD of his choice, finalise the deal 9as in get paid) and sign it into that RFD so the chap doesn't have to travel down to Kerry when his license does come through.

Just a thought.

I thought it would be sorted very quickly and at the latest in the three months so I just stayed patient, then the lockdown hit us and I couldn't do anything as the RFD's were shut down.

I'm mad to get my hands on the "new" rifle I bought but I'm in the sticks and my nearest RFD is a good 30 miles away.

It's very frustrating but I'll just wait it out and in fairness to the guy when I explained I was being charged a fiver a week by the RFD storing my "new" rifle I want to substitute the licence for he said he'll cover the fee's and has been true to his word.

Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

But still, AAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭chris20

Put a renewal in 5 weeks ago and still nothing in the post, rang the FO in tullamore, couldn't get her on the phone but was told that given what's going on it's not on top of their prioritie list, told them that since I put the renewal in my license has expired, I was told ah dont worry about that we will get around to it

The RFD is charging you for storing your "new" rifle?

Without getting too much into your business, did you buy the gun off the RFD or is it in there while you await a substitution?

Cass wrote: »
    The RFD is charging you for storing your "new" rifle?

Without getting too much into your business, did you buy the gun off the RFD or is it in there while you await a substitution?

It will be new to me but it's a rifle I bought secondhand privately that is in storage since the sale was agreed.

I was told the terms of the sale before purchase and to be fair the chap I bought it from gave me a great deal.

I don't care about the fiver a week or the mickey mouse money I got for my old rifle. I just want to get my new rifle and use it.

I would have scrapped my old rifle if I thought I would be waiting this long and would have gotten more money for the scope, mod, bipod and magazines.

It will be new to me but it's a rifle I bought secondhand privately that is in storage since the sale was agreed.

Not trying to get into your business, but i've heard some horrible stories over the years of a few and i mean very few, unscrupulous acts by RFDs with regard to storage, etc. and for a moment i thought the RFD was charging you storage on a gun you bought from him while the license comes through.

I was fairly confident this wasn't the case but had to ask as i've heard a few things, as said above, that wouldn't be too far from that actually happening.

Kramer wrote: »
    The application or grant letter?
    I had a restricted renewal through in the last few days & afaik, we have the same Chief.

Grant letter. Give them a poke if it is getting towards due date.:)

chris20 wrote: »
    Put a renewal in 5 weeks ago and still nothing in the post, rang the FO in tullamore, couldn't get her on the phone but was told that given what's going on it's not on top of their prioritie list, told them that since I put the renewal in my license has expired, I was told ah dont worry about that we will get around to it

Well fair enough,if they are accepting that the problem is on their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Gardaí have their hands full with a lot of Covid related “new” work but at the same time a lot of routine work has disappeared, less traffic means less RTC’s, no pubs and clubs open means no Saturday night pissheads, etc etc ...

Our local crime prevention Sgt. for example called around last week for a brief but thorough inspection ( keeping appropriate distances and all ) of a newly fitted alarm and locks etc etc since we’re about to go over the three or less unrestricted firearms in the household with the young lad looking for a second gun.

Just an update on this; young fella “misplaced” his dealers receipt so there was a bit of delay on our side but from submission to payslip in the letter box no more then two weeks including a phone call from the FO to check a few administrative issues.

We’re probably spoiled rotten with the speed of turn around in the Kells district office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭chris20

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Well fair enough,if they are accepting that the problem is on their end.

Quick update, renewal arrived this morning, 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 burtner

First time application for firearm. May 20th , application dropped off in local station to be "put in a pile and sent to firearms officer, can't say when" in a different station. phonecall from him today just to check a few details ! can't complain about that now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 irish1759

Put a new application for my first firearm in in the 26th of May, had a call today to say he was processing it and just needed to check few things.
    Not sure how much long after that it takes to come in the post to pay the fee at the local post office

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

irish1759 wrote: »
    Put a new application for my first firearm in in the 26th of May, had a call today to say he was processing it and just needed to check few things.
    Not sure how much long after that it takes to come in the post to pay the fee at the local post office

It could take a week or it could take months. But it's a good sign that you got a call so at least there is some movement on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bmmb88

6 months. Sent the renewal form in the day after it arrived in the post.

application left into Navan station on 20th May, call from FO on 27th May, received in post Today. 3 weeks in all ! excellent.

Put my first application in on the 26th may, got my letter today and paid in the post office. Do I need to return that letter with the receipt or is it all done by the post office. It's all new to me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Put my first application in on the 26th may, got my letter today and paid in the post office. Do I need to return that letter with the receipt or is it all done by the post office. It's all new to me. Thanks

Once you've paid the €80 in the post office, then that's it. You don't need to do any more. The licence will be posted out to you shortly. Best of luck.

I just paid in post office and stapled receipt to letter, that was enough to collect gun from dealer, have my gun 2 days now and not received licence, contact your dealer as they may also release firearm with proof of payment !

burtner wrote: »
    I just paid in post office and stapled receipt to letter, that was enough to collect gun from dealer, have my gun 2 days now and not received licence, contact your dealer as they may also release firearm with proof of payment !

I gun hasn't arrived yet, it needed to be ordered. Just wasn't sure if I needed to return the paperwork to get my licence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭Mech1

New application dropped in today, directly into FO hands.
    lets see how this one goes, as last one (first rifle owned for twelve years) took a full 6 months!
    Five and a half months ago I sold a rifle to a fella in Dublin and he's still waiting on the licence, in the meantime I can't substitute the licence for the rifle I bought to replace it which is an RFD up the country.

ARGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Thanks for your patience Rows!

Will keep thread updated.

• Advertisement

Handed in substitute application 20 days ago, got call off FO a week later to confirm a few details got the licence in the post Wednesday.

Delighted with my first semi automatic, fun will be had.

Advertisement