Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 strong convoy of high altitude aircraft just passed overhead

Comments

Quick question, what has broadband and Satellites got to do with aviation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bk wrote: »
    Mod of the Broadband forum, committee member of IrelandOffLine fighting for Broadband in Ireland for years and I have no idea what I'm talking about!! :rolleyes:

Does being the mod of the forum make you infallible.

What's you BB connection right now.? Who's it with I notice you didn't answer the question.

The fact your here choosing an unproven developing technology over fibre gives me the Willie's about the moderation of that forum

Il answer for you. You've fiber and an i'm alright jack mentality' about spending on fibre for the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I currently pay a premium for a wireless connection to my mountain home. I have tried 3G 4G, I am not in coverage of any other service (LTE etc).

I get about 3 Mbs at the very best, and it will go down during periods of bad weather. Over the past 8 years, fibre has always been 12-24 months away, I don't believe it will every make it up here, based on my experience of a decade of promises that have never been delivered.

For me the Starlink service, if it lives up to its promises, will be fantastic.

I too have concerns about its scaleability, and the possibility of (like other satellite services) being over subscribed, but it seems the way services will be delivered in the future which SpaceX, OneWeb, Amazon and other planning similar constellations.

If spacex get the laser comms working as intended, It will be a misconception that starlink will be slower than fibre, signals in space travel 50% faster than fibre (speed of light in fibre as opposed to speed of light in space), the satellites are very low, for many long paths will be faster over starlink than fibre.

Because of this fact regulatory bodies are looking closely at Starlink, as it could give some automated trading platforms a significant edge when trading over long distances.

The entire post was a bunch of ifs and buts and whatifs.

Sure I'd love the sun to shine everyday in Ireland but sure look with global warming we might get that in twenty years. If anyone thinks starlink will be fully operational and available to take residential load before fibre is rolled out nationwide il eat my hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

listermint wrote: »

Sure I'd love the sun to shine everyday in Ireland but sure look with global warming we might get that in twenty years. If anyone thinks starlink will be fully operational and available to take residential load before fibre is rolled out nationwide il eat my hat.

Did you predict the same about Tesla, and SpaceX landing rockets?

It would certainly cost many millions to get fibre to my home, in a way I thing the starlink solution would be better.

Is there someone on the forum where such "hat eating bets" can be documented and also serve as home to any hat eating videos ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

listermint wrote: »

With gobal warming you will get rain.

• Advertisement

Any minute now a conversation about airplanes and aviation is going to break out !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Topic and thread have fatally diverged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

GarIT wrote: »
    They are satellites being sent up to provide high speed broadband globally. These are the things making the national broadband plan irrelevant before they start work on it.
    Satellites are only ever going to be a part of the solution, unless you think everyone can accept seconds of lag. There's just more bandwidth in wired solutions too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OneWeb increases mega-constellation to 74 satellites

_105838090_bfd5c8eb-3043-48f9-b886-af173830e2c4.jpg

Coronavirus: OneWeb blames pandemic for collapse
    If no buyer for OneWeb or its assets can be found, the UK government is ultimately responsible for the 74 spacecraft in orbit.

As the licensing state, it will carry the liability if these satellites are involved in a collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭plodder

mikhail wrote: »
    Satellites are only ever going to be a part of the solution, unless you think everyone can accept seconds of lag. There's just more bandwidth in wired solutions too.
    Though, as pointed out already, these are low earth orbiting (340km) and are claiming lower latency than terrestrial broadband networks, because of shorter distances and the fact that light travels faster through air and a vacuum than in glass. Whether they actually deliver that, remains to be seen. I think there will be a chunk of delay each time a signal passes through one satellite to be relayed on to another and it will depend on the number of hops to be traversed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

Ouch, that's a real pity about Oneweb going bust. IIRC similar happened to Iridium (satellite phones), then someone else bought the system at a big mark-down and it has done well ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Darksoul

Just seen a few about 15-20 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hey folks,

When is the next time (weather dependent obviously) that we will be able to see the starlink train in Dublin? And what direction will I have to look to be able to see it? Sorry for the basic noob question, i'm an absolute astrology idiot! The extent of my abilities involves looking at the SkyView Lite app and pointing out what planet/star is what etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey folks,

When is the next time (weather dependent obviously) that we will be able to see the starlink train in Dublin? And what direction will I have to look to be able to see it? Sorry for the basic noob question, i'm an absolute astrology idiot! The extent of my abilities involves looking at the SkyView Lite app and pointing out what planet/star is what etc.

Thanks

I signed up for that Starlink sites notifications and it tells you when you can see them.

I provided a link earlier for Heavens Above.

This is the best service by far, you can get a free app for your phone as well which will show you where in the night sky to look in realtime, just hold your phone up in the air.

It also shows all satellites and space debris.

https://www.heavens-above.com/StarlinkLaunchPasses.aspx?lat=53.3498&lng=-6.2603&loc=Dublin&alt=0&tz=GMT

This page shows all passes for Dublin in the next 24 hours, if you click on the time you will see the sky map, if you download the app it will show you in the sky in realtime.

You can change you location tom anywhere.

I provided a link earlier for Heavens Above.

This is the best service by far, you can get a free app for your phone as well which will show you where in the night sky to look in realtime, just hold your phone up in the air.

It also shows all satellites and space debris.

https://www.heavens-above.com/StarlinkLaunchPasses.aspx?lat=53.3498&lng=-6.2603&loc=Dublin&alt=0&tz=GMT

This page shows all passes for Dublin in the next 24 hours, if you click on the time you will see the sky map, if you download the app it will show you in the sky in realtime.

You can change you location tom anywhere.

Any idea what that app is called? Cant seem to find anything called heavens above on the app store.

EDIT: App appears to be android only. Sugar!!!!

Hogzy wrote: »
    Any idea what that app is called? Cant seem to find anything called heavens above on the app store.

EDIT: App appears to be android only. Sugar!!!!

Yes Android only I am afraid..

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

How can you tell when it's going to be a *train* of satellites?

I check both heavens-above and the findstarlink websites.
    findstarlink had the info below for my location last night (curiously, heavens-above didn't have it):

10:16 pm, 29 Mar 2020
    Starlink-4 OLD, BRIGHT (3.3) for 6 mins
    Look from WEST to SOUTHWEST (details)
    Elevation (from horizon): start: 11°, max: 51°, end: 51°

It was a beautiful clear night and I watched it - a single satellite glowing brightly as it crossed the sky.

.. But how do I identify when it will be a train of satellites, and not just one?

Thanks.

Yes Android only I am afraid..

I forked out a mind blowing €2 on the app store for SkyView Premium so hopefully the increased functionality includes the train!

Cheers for the help!

Manuel wrote: »

I check both heavens-above and the findstarlink websites.
    findstarlink had the info below for my location last night (curiously, heavens-above didn't have it):

10:16 pm, 29 Mar 2020
    Starlink-4 OLD, BRIGHT (3.3) for 6 mins
    Look from WEST to SOUTHWEST (details)
    Elevation (from horizon): start: 11°, max: 51°, end: 51°

It was a beautiful clear night and I watched it - a single satellite glowing brightly as it crossed the sky.

.. But how do I identify when it will be a train of satellites, and not just one?

Thanks.

First few weeks following launch, see earlier post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Manuel wrote: »
    I found the app useless for this. On the website, just check the times of successive passes. If there are lots of passes in a short time, i.e. 30-50 in ten minutes, it's a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are those 24hr clock times?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I'm not an expert and new to this so here's what i think
    Starlink 5,6 is the latest launch from a few weeks ago so it will be the brightest,its passing tomorrow morning at 6.10am

Starlink 4 passing tonight at 9.52 but its older so dimmer or invisible

here's an easy to follow site with times and live tracking map for the 4 different trainshttps://findstarlink.com/#744;3

A new (bright)train expected to be launched next monthhttps://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Good chance of sight tonight around 10pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Big Nasty wrote:
    Good chance of sight tonight around 10pm?

Any idea what direction ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

southwest to east at 10 deg over the horizon

Any idea what direction ??
    Look south-south-east from 22.05 to 22.20, about two thirds of the way up the sky (60 degrees elevation). There will be about 45 satellites chasing each other. Go out ten minutes early to adjust your eyes, don't look at bright lights, and don't look at the sunlight in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Scottish Sun paper is very concerned about how it's going to affect, astrologers???

'The Starlink programme is controversial amongst astrologers, who have slammed the tech billionaire.

They say the satellites get in the way of observations and stop them from viewing the night sky due to the light'

fryup wrote: »
    southwest to east at 10 deg over the horizon
    I'm hoping it's a lot higher that that, unless I've read it wrong. You generally can't see them that low -- I found they have to be above 45 degrees. Are you sure you didn't look at the start times instead of the highest altitude times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Water John wrote: »
    The Scottish Sun paper is very concerned about how it's going to affect, astrologers???

'The Starlink programme is controversial amongst astrologers, who have slammed the tech billionaire.

They say the satellites get in the way of observations and stop them from viewing the night sky due to the light'

Plus the fact that to actually bring it to every part of the globe requires over 90,000 mins of them. Space is already becoming a mess. Haven’t we made enough down here on planet earth without doing the same above it.

Advertisement