Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working part-time during PPC1?

• 09-12-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi just wondering is it possible to work part-time during PPC1. Are you in Blackhall 9-5 5 days aweek? I had read somewhere that the Law Society doesn't permit it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

PPC 1 is full-time and attendance is mandatory, and monitored. It is extremely difficult to have absence approved, and you certainly won't get approval for absence to engage in part-time work.

Nothing to stop you doing a job that involves working nights or are weekends. But it's not realistic to think of doing a job that overlaps with PPC 1 class hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Ngannou54 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering is it possible to work part-time during PPC1. Are you in Blackhall 9-5 5 days aweek? I had read somewhere that the Law Society doesn't permit it?

Its a full time course as the above poster said, although some days can be much quieter than others the timetable changes weekly so the only option would be a very flexible employer like deliveroo or similar.

The margin for taking holidays or missing tutorials and some lectures is minimal and they are very strict on attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but is there any link to law society info on this? I can't find any. I'm hoping to start PPc1 in September and my current employer has already said I can work 7pm-10pm 5 days a week if it's allowed, I can't seem to find any reference to this kind of work

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dunne1995

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but is there any link to law society info on this? I can't find any. I'm hoping to start PPc1 in September and my current employer has already said I can work 7pm-10pm 5 days a week if it's allowed, I can't seem to find any reference to this kind of work

Hi, I would avoid working if you can. The law society say it is not allowed but many smaller firms require their trainees to come in when not at blackhall.

It really does ruin the whole experience if you have to head to work when everyone else is off to the pub! Taken from personal experience

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ngannou54

I have the option of part-time work (not law related) one or two days a week from 8am - 3pm during blackhall. Would it be possible for me to do this? Or would i miss too many lectures? I was planning to arrange the shift for my quietest day of the week in terms of lectures. I would obviously prefer not to work but i will have fees and a mortgage to pay...

• Advertisement
Advertisement