Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oil leak in house we are bidding on

• 09-12-2018 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We are currently bidding on a house, we had another viewing over the weekend.

We noticed a oil leak (possibly an old one) around the tank out the back garden. Problem is it’s right beside the divider wall to the neighbors house.

The fitting looks repaired now, but there is a big bucket underneath it and it has oil in it, unsure if it’s old or still leaking. I checked the voting and it didn’t appear to be still leaking.

However, in the boiler house the boiler is totally broken away, and oil everywhere in it. Very strong odor of oil, and it looks like it happened a long time ago.

It has me a bit concerned, mainly the clean up cost that may incur and if the bank will actually give us a mortgage based on this, also if it has gone into next doors garden aswel or under the house we are looking to buy.

Anyone have any advice, should we just walk away?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Get a good plumber to have a look at it and take advice.
    I might be wrong, but surely you aren't responsible to damage to a neighbours property that happened before you owned the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Do a search. There is a thread in the last few months on someone who had an oil leak.
    The cost and time to resolve is enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks for the replies and help.

We discussed it this evening and decided to give the estate agent a ring tomorrow and see if the vendor is willing to fix it up before we go sale agreed, probably say no but no harm in asking. If no then we are going to walk away.

We had our hearts set on it but just got strange feeling about the oil, spoke to a lot of people today since and they all advised against it.

I've had issues with oil leaks twice. One involved a plumber sorting it out. The other I fixed myself, after it was a plumber's mistake.
    Oil leaks aren't always bad. That's why I said you should get a good plumber to take a look at it. You might be walking away from a decent house otherwise. And the leak might put other people off, keeping the bids a bit lower for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭enricoh

Mate of mines oil tank split, most kerosene went into neighbours foundations, some into his, think the bill is at about 300k, so far!

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    hink the bill is at about 300k

Jesus. I wouldn't fancy having to deal with that.

Which reminded me of a guy I knew who had the glass filter on his incoming oil line to boiler in the utility break. A washing machine was pushed into position beside it and caused the damage.
    He had to pull the stud wall down and replace it after the oil soaked into the timber. He had just let it out to tenants too and they had to leave while the whole thing got sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Mate of mines oil tank split, most kerosene went into neighbours foundations, some into his, think the bill is at about 300k, so far!

Seriously? You'd pull down and re build the entire house for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

And you'd still be left with the cost of dealing with all the contaminated soil that has to be removed and remediated as hazardous waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

does the house have well or town water? If the former then that would be another serious concern.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'd be two houses worth of damage + contaminated soil removal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

My brother bought a house with a similar issue a few years ago (maybe not as bad actually) and it cost him around 25-30k to have it fixed.

Imo get a plumbers advice, but unless it is your dream home/only choice, I would walk away, just not worth the hassle.

(It is def worth getting a plumbers advice first though as it may not be as bad as it seems.)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

bri007 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies and help.

We discussed it this evening and decided to give the estate agent a ring tomorrow and see if the vendor is willing to fix it up before we go sale agreed, probably say no but no harm in asking. If no then we are going to walk away.

We had our hearts set on it but just got strange feeling about the oil, spoke to a lot of people today since and they all advised against it.

I'd be more inclined to get a plumber to look at it and estimate the cost of repairs, then factor that into your offer. Reason being, you wouldn't want the vendor to say they'll repair it to get the sale to go through and then discover that it was a bodge or done on the cheap, and possibly not done properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Jaysus never realsied that could be such a problem. Live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

Same. As someone who is moving next year to a house which will likely have OFCH I just want to thank the OP for starting this thread. It's not something I ever would have considered looking out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭3DataModem

bri007 wrote: »
    see if the vendor is willing to fix it up before we go sale agreed

Bear in mind that a vendor will do the minimum possible to fix it, and as this is your heating system it is important that it is done to a good standard.

My advice; pay a good plumber to come out for a review and tell you what needs to be done and at what cost to do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Effects wrote:
    Get a good plumber to have a look at it and take advice. I might be wrong, but surely you aren't responsible to damage to a neighbours property that happened before you owned the house.

When you buy a house you also buy the history of the house. This is what you pay searches for

OP oily leaks can be very expensive to sort out. You can stop the leak but I think the Environment Protection Agency needs to be involved. It can cost thousands in some cases. Not trying to scare you. Just hoping you will be careful. Take the advice of your engineer & a good plumber experienced with oil boilers. They will have come across this before and can advise what needs to be done. It might be a tiny leak with little damage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A colleague had a leak from the tank in the garden, he just paid some fella to take away his topsoil and dump it and put down fresh stuff.

All done for a few hundred I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Wow... I assume his house insurance covered that.

However, if the OP where to buy this house, their house insurance more than likely would not cover existing conditions.

I'd be looking for someone more qualified than a plumber to be looking at this.
    Someone that can give a written report and has professional indemnity insurance if they're wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

A colleague had a leak from the tank in the garden, he just paid some fella to take away his topsoil and dump it and put down fresh stuff.

Doesn't sound legal though and if caught could face fine or worse not to mention he exposes him self and others to risk for half arseing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I looked at 3 houses that came up for sale near the gassworks in Dublin, they all went sale agreed quite quickly then suddenly came back on the market with 150k discounts. Turns out the gardens all have historic contamination and the remediation was not just digging out the soli but putting down barriers etc. That was an extreme case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

The big problems happen when it gets at the house. Over time it destroys the foundations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭enricoh

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Wow... I assume his house insurance covered that.

However, if the OP where to buy this house, their house insurance more than likely would not cover existing conditions.

I'd be looking for someone more qualified than a plumber to be looking at this.
    Someone that can give a written report and has professional indemnity insurance if they're wrong.

Yeah, his insurance covered it, n they sued the tank supplier who sued the the tank manufacturer. He had all these electric probes in garden to pulse up the oil iirc, didnt work, so jacked up the houses n new foundations n floors etc.
    Yeah id be inclined to get a professional report in writing with insurance rather than a plumber who said it'd be grand! Before i knew of my mates case- I'd have gotten the plumber!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Same as paying a lad with a white van to come and take away your rubbish. Just gets dumped at the side of the road somewhere, and in this case the contamination will still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

An oil spill in the garden is just a little different to oil getting down as far as the foundations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    When you buy a house you also buy the history of the house. This is what you pay searches for

OP oily leaks can be very expensive to sort out. You can stop the leak but I think the Environment Protection Agency needs to be involved. It can cost thousands in some cases. Not trying to scare you. Just hoping you will be careful. Take the advice of your engineer & a good plumber experienced with oil boilers. They will have come across this before and can advise what needs to be done. It might be a tiny leak with little damage

EPA don't give a feck. A friend had oil leaking in to their garden and after knocking in to all the houses above them the leak has stopped, but none admitted to having a leak. The EPA or council don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Del2005 wrote: »
    EPA don't give a feck. A friend had oil leaking in to their garden and after knocking in to all the houses above them the leak has stopped, but none admitted to having a leak. The EPA or council don't care.

I think you'll find that they do. Any plumber will tell you how serious an oil leak into the ground is. It get's into the water table. ETA do take this very seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think you'll find that they do. Any plumber will tell you how serious an oil leak into the ground is. It get's into the water table. ETA do take this very seriously

Not the leak into my friends back garden. He's called a few times and they won't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

as a plumber myself,I know that there isen't a plumber working that would have the equipment or expertise to make a call on the extent of oil spillage that has impacted the ground or structural components and costs associated with remediation works.

without the homeowner truthful admission of quantities of oil lost all the plumber could do is pressure test existing oil pipe and make an assessment of the oil storage tank through an 'OFTEC' form.

an environmental or oil remediation company would be the only route IMHO to have an accurate representation of the oil spillage impact should you proceed with purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks, I asked a friend of mine who is a plumber and said the exact same as you.

He said to walk away, to big of a risk.

I asked estate agent but he said I’m welcome to bring who I want along but it will be sold as is!

esox28 wrote: »
    as a plumber myself,I know that there isen't a plumber working that would have the equipment or expertise to make a call on the extent of oil spillage that has impacted the ground or structural components and costs associated with remediation works.

without the homeowner truthful admission of quantities of oil lost all the plumber could do is pressure test existing oil pipe and make an assessment of the oil storage tank through an 'OFTEC' form.

an environmental or oil remediation company would be the only route IMHO to have an accurate representation of the oil spillage impact should you proceed with purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

first of all im not directing this at you topgear just want to make a point...

thats like dumping rubbish out the car window... only oil contaminated soil is classified as hazardous waste. we've all seen on tv 'the man' white van collecting waste which end up in a field in cavan.

I know the vast majority of people wouldn't know what to do if oil spills out in their garden and furthermore how prevent spillage. The oil industry needs to respond and make public awareness of safe oil storage in the home.

Did you know a standard MDPE plastic oil tank if correctly fitted has a limited service life of around 20years. there is many variables around this.

Advertisement