Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail's Punctuality Stats

Comments

A total different mentality in those countries to be fair!

True, those companies have a mentality where they aim to serve the customers first with an effective, efficient and reliable service

Totally different to here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

DaCor wrote: »
    True, those companies have a mentality where they aim to serve the customers first with an effective, efficient and reliable service

And that is completely what I meant! :rolleyes:

And that is completely what I meant! :rolleyes:

Say what you mean, mean what you say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

GM228 wrote: »
    Depends, there are performance based payments as part of the PSO compensation, however they only require minimum standards to be met, for example DART and Commuter requires between 87% and 92% punctuality depending on time of day, Intercity requires 90%. 99% of all trains (nationally) should run and 98% of kilometres should be covered.

Anything affecting the minimums caused by or related to force majour is not held against IE and so delays caused by suicide, bridge strike, abnormal weather, infrastructure damage etc does not incure a penalty to them.

Would cancelled services for "operational issues" incur a penalty?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i'd bet they also don't have a problem with compo types.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Advertisement

i'd bet they also don't have a problem with compo types.

Can you back up that statement or is it just a guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

It's the same here the aim is the same but it doesn't always work how they want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Can you back up that statement or is it just a guess?

it's a guess.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

it's a guess.

Thought as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sitting in clongriffin layby on the north bound dart waiting for the third train to pass by..

Ten minutes and counting

Bullsh!t service

I bet that that 10% of darts not 'on time' are nearly all peak services.

The rest of them are off peak and half empty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

I got the intercity service from waterford to dublin recently and was shocked at how punctual it was.
    The train was full and thriving, and it rolled into heuston only 2 minutes late.

Last time I was on the train (10 years ago) they were never on time and I avoided them for years because of it.
    I guess the signalling has been upgraded or something but I'm so much more open to taking the train from now on.

Twas cheap too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Would cancelled services for "operational issues" incur a penalty?

It depends on the actual reason and only once 1% of the entire scheduled service (over each 4 week period) has been cancelled would there be an under payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I got the intercity service from waterford to dublin recently and was shocked at how punctual it was.
    The train was full and thriving, and it rolled into heuston only 2 minutes late.

Last time I was on the train (10 years ago) they were never on time and I avoided them for years because of it.
    I guess the signalling has been upgraded or something but I'm so much more open to taking the train from now on.

Twas cheap too!

The Waterford Dublin service is actually pretty decent to be fair. It’s come a long way in terms of frequency and timings too. Just over two hours so beats the motorway buses and is more reliable time wise. The Kildare route project must have had an effect.
    Needs a later evening service though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Waterford is a good service and if you think its good now, it was better 18-24 months ago. Arriving ahead of schedule was the norm, now its on time or usually delayed.

97/98% OTP was the norm, now it's like 93% and that doesn't include probally 90% of delays which are around 8-10 minutes.

One particularly train I regularly got before the September timetable change arrived up to 7-8 minutes almost every single day yet since the timetable change they felt they needed to add an extra minute to the schedule and ever single week since its been up to 5 minutes late. 1 minute change has cost over 10 minutes week in week out.

There was no need to adjust the schedule, in fact any adjustment should have been a reduction.

GM228 wrote: »
    It depends on the actual reason and only once 1% of the entire scheduled service (over each 4 week period) has been cancelled would there be an under payment.

So what you are saying IE can allow mass cancellations and get away scot free. Have they lost PSO on strike days or have the NTA spun that line to the media as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    So what you are saying IE can allow mass cancellations and get away scot free. Have they lost PSO on strike days or have the NTA spun that line to the media as well?

Once it is no more than 1% then yes.

Yes it is true they are deducted payment when there is a strike/industrial action involving their own staff, if they are affected by striking staff of a third party they do not get penalised, so for example if a maintenance contractor was on strike and caused cancellation they are not penalised, from the PSO contract:-
    In this clause "Force Majeure" means the occurance after the date of this Contract of any of the following:.....strikes, lock-outs or other industrial disputes (in the case of strikes, lock-outs or other industrial disputes not confined to employees of the Operator or Córas Iompair Éireann or its subsidiaries) to the extent that such event has materially affected the ability of the Affected Party to perform its obligations in accordance with the terms of this Contract but excluding any such event insofar as it arises from or is attributable to the willful act, omission or negligence of the Affected Party or the failure on the part of the Affected Party to take reasonable precautions to prevent such event of Force Majeure or its impact

Dublin's rubbish transport strikes again

Delays all over the show and DARTS so overcrowded you can't even get on..

Taxes and annual tickets and parking costs all going to great use

lawred2 wrote: »
    Dublin's rubbish transport strikes again

Delays all over the show and DARTS so overcrowded you can't even get on..

Taxes and annual tickets and parking costs all going to great use

To be fair Dublin transport is fine! A Luas broke down this morning and unfortunately these things DO happen!
    Unfortunately public transport and particularly the train network both domestically and nationally has been
    the poor recipient of funding for decades. How many new stations or lines have been laid since the British left?
    More taken up than been put down!

To be fair Dublin transport is fine! A Luas broke down this morning and unfortunately these things DO happen!
    Unfortunately public transport and particularly the train network both domestically and nationally has been
    the poor recipient of funding for decades. How many new stations or lines have been laid since the British left?

It's not fine. It's overworked, badly funded and poor value for money.

The Luas has nothing to do with CIE. Not sure why you referenced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Most issues with the Dublin suburban network are caused by the relentless attempt to impose 10 min Dart timetable since Sept on an infrastructure completely starved of investment. All the issues with Northern Suburban line southbound in the morning could have been significantly minimised if IE had applied for funding from NTA and built southbound passing loop at Clongriffin. I honestly have no idea why they did not. It would have been a very small investment for a big operational return and had great customer benefit. The evening peak on the other hand is both 10 min Darts and poor operational management. Example. One slight delay tonight and 1,000's of customers impacted. No one seemed in charge operationally and lots of customers needlessly delayed.

• Advertisement

It's not fine. It's overworked, badly funded and poor value for money.

The Luas has nothing to do with CIE. Not sure why you referenced it.

You referenced Dublin Transport in a general term so???

But yes, you are correct that investment in it or forward thinking has
    not been to the fore for decades! The same old station will do...…

Overly reliant on the road network which is unable to cope!
    The bullet has to be bitten by someone 'SOON' and develop an underground
    system that will provide us with genuine realistic means of travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

For all routes, punctuality is defined as on time or within 10 minutes of time

Seriously? Are we actually considering trains being 10 mins late as being on time?

In the name of satan, why are our standards so fúcking low and why do we accept this crap?

Its absolutely pathetic - trains on the maynooth line crawl in and out of town, literally. Most stop randomly every morning for 5-10 mins for unknown reasons.

As someone mentioned before, Irish Rail should have SLA's and should be fined if they breach those SLA's.

You referenced Dublin Transport in a general term so???

But yes, you are correct that investment in it or forward thinking has
    not been to the fore for decades! The same old station will do...…

Overly reliant on the road network which is unable to cope!
    The bullet has to be bitten by someone 'SOON' and develop an underground
    system that will provide us with genuine realistic means of travel!

This is an Irish Rail thread :confused:

Keyzer wrote: »
    For all routes, punctuality is defined as on time or within 10 minutes of time

Seriously? Are we actually considering trains being 10 mins late as being on time?

In the name of satan, why are our standards so fúcking low and why do we accept this crap?

Its absolutely pathetic - trains on the maynooth line crawl in and out of town, literally. Most stop randomly every morning for 5-10 mins for unknown reasons.

As someone mentioned before, Irish Rail should have SLA's and should be fined if they breach those SLA's.

I believe that that 10 minute stat includes DARTS :D

So a journey that should take 20 minutes could be nearly 50% over schedule and still be considered punctual

Laughable

I believe that that 10 minute stat includes DARTS :D

So a journey that should take 20 minutes could be nearly 50% over schedule and still be considered punctual

Laughable

Its a joke but given there are zero consequences for this disgracefully inadequate service, nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

for the Dart it's 5 minutes, but only measured at the terminus.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

Internationally, up to 5 minutes late would seem to be the standard for punctuality for shorter distance/commuter trains. I don't know how Irish Rail or the NTA get away with 10 minute buffers on the Maynooth and Northern Commuter lines given this.

The NTA actually publish peak/vs. off peak performance in their reports (Q2 2018 is the latest here). But for some reason they are always 6-12 months behind making an assessment of recent time table changes difficult.

The NTA figures also exclude force majeure delays and cancellations. In the interest of transparency they should publish these figures as well because there is no way to know how many "operational issues" get shoved into this category.

Scotrail have a 92.5% within 5 minutes. Its been a good week on Waterford route :rolleyes:

Sunday - Signal Fault
    Monday - Mechanical Fault, Signal Fault
    Tuesday - Power Fault, Signal Fault
    Wednesday - Signal Fault, Livestock
    Thursday - Operational Problem, Mechanical Fault and Signal Fault.

Still looking into the signal issues, very rare to have so many problems in 5 days so far.

It's beyond a joke and what really boils my piss is no one in authority, be it Irish Rail management or Government, seem to give a sh1t - they just accept this disgraceful performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Indeed. Official Ireland’s attitude to the railways down the years has veered from bare toleration, to neglect, to grudging investment, to using them as Trojan horses for Mosherways (yes, the M3), to realising that parts of the country would grind to a complete halt without them, to willy nilly wanting them as a cheap way of providing cycle paths.

I’m pretty sure that some cling to thinking of railways as ‘one of them things from the time of the Brits’ and dreaming of even more mosherways and breeze block retail parks as the future, while wondering why all those cars are clogging up their commute from Southfork Ranch to downtown Dallas.

Advertisement