Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving house, same estate

Options
  • 06-12-2018 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

We're hopefully going to move into a new house in the next month. The house (duplex) is in the same estate as ours, diagonally across the road 72m away.

Anyone been in a similar situation and have suggestions on the logistics of moving on the actual day? It seems like a waste of time to load into a van, drive 50m, and then unload. It's also a bit too far to comfortably walk it though.
    There is quite a bit of stuff to move, including all furniture, so it's likely a big job.

CPBBPFI.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

fjon wrote: »
    We're hopefully going to move into a new house in the next month. The house (duplex) is in the same estate as ours, diagonally across the road 72m away.

Anyone been in a similar situation and have suggestions on the logistics of moving on the actual day? It seems like a waste of time to load into a van, drive 50m, and then unload. It's also a bit too far to comfortably walk it though.
    There is quite a bit of stuff to move, including all furniture, so it's likely a big job.

Get some friends around. A few cases of beer and a few pizzas. Friends with estates, hatchbacks and gym memberships are your best friends here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Catapult? Get everyone in the estate to form a chain between your old gaff and new gaff and pass everything along?

Common sense would dictate that if it's too far to walk then you load your **** into a van and drive. GoCar would be a cheap option considering the little mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

goto your local shop and ask to borrow some of the stock trollies for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

goto your local shop and ask to borrow some of the stock trollies for a few hours.

That's one of the things I was thinking. One of those trolleys you see in garden shops would work well, just not sure where to go about getting them.
    I do have the use of a hand truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Be careful about insurance. A dropped TV or ripped sofa can cost you the same amount as paying movers for the day. Especially considering irish weather. I'd also think about the damage to walls and skirtings that non-professional movers might do compared to professional movers.

A large house can cost as little as 1.5k to move including packing. A lot less stress. A lot less risk. I wouldn't be arsed doing it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

I can help, I have a car. Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

3DataModem wrote: »
    Be careful about insurance. A dropped TV or ripped sofa can cost you the same amount as paying movers for the day. Especially considering irish weather. I'd also think about the damage to walls and skirtings that non-professional movers might do compared to professional movers.

A large house can cost as little as 1.5k to move including packing. A lot less stress. A lot less risk. I wouldn't be arsed doing it myself.

I'd definitely be arsed it was costing me €1.5k to move across the road

Thanks, but it's way more than I would spend. I've done the last few moves using people from anyvan and it cost between 300-500. I can't think of any item I have in the house that if broken would cost that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

That's one of the things I was thinking. One of those trolleys you see in garden shops would work well, just not sure where to go about getting them.
    I do have the use of a hand truck.

https://www.woodies.ie/2-heavy-duty-swivel-and-brake-castors-400751
    and
    https://www.woodies.ie/hardwood-faced-plywood-18mm-x-1220mm-x-610mm-1092165

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I'd definitely be arsed it was costing me €1.5k to move across the road

Money well spent it you ask me.

I worked as a mover for a time, and between packing and boxing up the furniture/clothing etc, moving it to the new house, into the correct room and unpacking while the owners stood back and supervised it is the best way to do it.

The distance that everything is being moved will be factored into the price, and it will involve almost zero effort on the OP's part.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »

The distance that everything is being moved will be factored into the price, and it will involve almost zero effort on the OP's part.

Will it cost less than usual then? There is no (or little) driving involved, but probably more carrying.

Will it cost less than usual then? There is no (or little) driving involved, but probably more carrying.

I would expect so, shorter distance means less time travelling/working. I've no idea by how much though, I worked in Canada so not really comparable to Ireland.

No harm in ringing a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I would expect so, shorter distance means less time travelling/working. I've no idea by how much though, I worked in Canada so not really comparable to Ireland.

No harm in ringing a few places.

I would imagie the distance is not particularly significant unless there was quite a long distance between the properties. Most of the work is packing the stuff, loading the ehicle, unloading at the other end and bringing it in and unpacking. it would make little difference if there was half an hours iving between the two houses. There would be a small saving on fuel and labour only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

When we moved we hired a Man with a Van off Adverts, it was 80euro per hour and took about 90 mins, so we happily paid him 160. The new house is only 10 mins drive from the old house, but it's the loading and unloading that takes the time. It's so worth it though when it all just arrives at the new place. This guy knew well what he was doing in terms of handling furniture up and down stairs and organising it all into the van. Based in Dublin, PM me if you want a link to him.

I would imagie the distance is not particularly significant unless there was quite a long distance between the properties. Most of the work is packing the stuff, loading the ehicle, unloading at the other end and bringing it in and unpacking. it would make little difference if there was half an hours iving between the two houses. There would be a small saving on fuel and labour only.

Thats a fair point but assumes it can all be done in one trip or 1 van.

Easy enough for an apartment move, but a house house might require more than 1 trip.

Less time spent packing it into the van as well if it’s only going 500 meters, could be more savings there.

May not be much, but having recently moved myself next time I’ll definitely be getting a quote at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I moved six doors away a few years ago. Got two brother in laws to help carry furniture etc and had packed most things up in preparation. We had two small kids and literally went back and forth with a double buggy filled with drawer contents for the day.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I moved six doors away a few years ago. Got two brother in laws to help carry furniture etc and had packed most things up in preparation. We had two small kids and literally went back and forth with a double buggy filled with drawer contents for the day.

That's hilarious about the buggy! Was there much stuff to be moved (furniture, etc?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

We moved within the same estate four years ago and around the corner from it this year. If you have items that are too large to transport in your car then you need a van or a trailer regardless of distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I would just rent a van for a couple of days.

Won’t cost more than a couple of hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

Only moved myself just week and rented a van. €99 to collect it on Sat morning and drop it back on Monday!

Got all the contents of a 3 bedroom house into the van in one journey!

• Advertisement

Added a picture to show the position of the houses. The car/ van journey would be about 50m, and walking to and from it to the houses will be about 10m and 20m. Should be an interesting move!
    We have a couple of days to do it though so I might make a decision once I've done a few journeys across.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

A washing machine a few pieces of furniture but not a whole lot
    I had a trolley frombwork to help lift the heavier items too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Have a look here, can hire trolleys and other similar stuff from 30ish quid a day
    http://www.hss.ie/c/1014466/Trucks-and-Trolleys.html

Edit to add you could hire a trailer also
    https://www.hirehere.ie/lifting-and-handling-1/trailers/small-twin-axle-trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Helped a friend move about 200m up the road. He borrowed something like this. Really easy to load and unload. Did small loads, but lots of them .

http://www.vanrentals.ie/business-rentals/short-term-business-van-rentals/dropside-hire-truck-ireland

1.5k for movers, I’d rather drag the stuff piece by piece. What a crazy waste of money.

There is no way on earth movers are needed to move across the road, I wouldn’t get them for moving across the country. I’ve access to a Jeep a trailer which helps buy even if I didn’t I still would find a way to get friends/family to help etc or rent a van for the day before spending that sort of money. I also would trust myself far more then others with my stuff.

I’d rather put in the effort than waste a load of money on a straight forward job you can do yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

You can hire a flat bed builders trolley to move from one to another. Get friends to help if they have cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

Where is it
    Pay me and a mate a day's pay and I will happily do it
    Done home deliveries for a living
    Take your time and use your brain and you won't wreck anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

whatnext wrote: »
    Helped a friend move about 200m up the road. He borrowed something like this. Really easy to load and unload. Did small loads, but lots of them .

http://www.vanrentals.ie/business-rentals/short-term-business-van-rentals/dropside-hire-truck-ireland

Beat me too it
    A flat bed truck is the way to go, you can throw everything on the truck, no need to strap it down then motor across the parking lot, easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

I ran a moving company for 10 years and from the perspective of the movers it really doesn't matter whether the houses are 50mts or 5kms apart! Items will still need to be packed properly to ensure that no damage occurs! I would suggest hiring one of the companies that rents a couple of guys and a truck by the hour - usually about €100ph. Just use them to move the heavier furniture and appliances and move the rest yourself with the help of friends! Should get out for €200-300 + VAT. I can send you the name of a very reliable guy by PM if you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Money well spent it you ask me.

I worked as a mover for a time, and between packing and boxing up the furniture/clothing etc, moving it to the new house, into the correct room and unpacking while the owners stood back and supervised it is the best way to do it.

A 50m move doesn’t require that much packing and boxing.

Advertisement