Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenant put key meter in without my knowledge

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Haha, your having a laugh

I bought a house, one of those things was stuck in it, house was vacant and over 200 quid on the prepaid power thing owed, standing charges

Rang them, told them I was buying the house etc etc, they had previous owners details....more or less told to either pay up or sit without electricity....ended up rang estate agent and they said to pay, get receipt and they would sort it

Rang back up, explained everything to next guy, he said no problem, receipt would be email in 24 hours. 48 hours later still waiting, rang back up, they don’t provide any receipt to people, other guy got it wrong....no refund either.....spent about 2 hours getting bounced around till finally got a manager, read out the address of company and said I was on way out to see him....suddenly the receipt appeared

That’s 2 years ago, still can’t get them to take the ungodly piece of sh*t out of my house....have tried4 times now and they never show up or reply once and then never come back

They are a shower of gangsters!!!! Plain and simple

You switch to another supplier and they will provide a bypass code for the add-on meter without asking for the debt to be paid. You don't even try deal with the scalper provider until you have the order for a normal account elsewhere.

You are never liable for a previous occupants unpaid energy bills or standing charge; the issue ends up being when the entire thing is disconnected as we frequently get threads on here for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

L1011 wrote: »
    You switch to another supplier and they will provide a bypass code for the add-on meter without asking for the debt to be paid. You don't even try deal with the scalper provider until you have the order for a normal account elsewhere.

I did switch, they don’t have the codes....you have to go back to the prepaid company....believe me if it was that easy I would have been sorted

My new supplier was active, electricity going to house but prepaid meter blocking supply from fuse board.....they supply code

Also taking off yourself is a big no no, told this by both companies, you can be accused of criminal damage to the prepaid meter

L1011 wrote: »
    You are never liable for a previous occupants unpaid energy bills or standing charge; the issue ends up being when the entire thing is disconnected as we frequently get threads on here for.

Someone has to pay.....I could have waited weeks while they tried to get from previous owner but they would not switch back on in house and we had to move in

Quickest route was via estate agent and they would bill it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

ArtyC wrote: »
    Bought a house last month. Prepay meter--- they must have changed
    Since as it's ugly and about 2 feet of conduit from Meter box to their box

I'm now 5 weeks waiting for it to be removed
    tvjunki wrote: »
    It is ugly. There's two boxes one next to the fuse box and another connect to another box. The original meter is night saver so I don't know how they could get it in when esb say it is not possible to use on night saver.
    5weeks that's crazy and you did not put it in in the first place.

Yes, the installs can be fugly alright.
    I can understand wanting it removed in those circumstances.
    I didn't think there could be any arrears on prepay meters though, well maximum 5e (loaned credit)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I didn't think there could be any arrears on prepay meters though, well maximum 5e (loaned credit)

The standing charges still rack up. Or if you inclined they can be bypassed but the companies catch on and lib the debt onto them

• Advertisement

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Standing charge.....it’s quickly add up even if not
    Using any electricity.....as I said couple of hundred quid on the one in mine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I did switch, they don’t have the codes....you have to go back to the prepaid company....believe me if it was that easy I would have been sorted

My new supplier was active, electricity going to house but prepaid meter blocking supply from fuse board.....they supply code

Also taking off yourself is a big no no, told this by both companies, you can be accused of criminal damage to the prepaid meter

The prepaid company supply the codes and cannot refuse to do so for a new customer - it is not your debt. If you have paid them anything, take steps to get it back. Get the CRU involved if required

I would prefer if the CRU banned them outright and required the use of the Networks prepaid meter which removes all this hassle, but has a more invasive installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭snowcat

Rubbish. No landlord should ever have the bill in their name when the property is rented out so should never get 'stung'.

I as a landlord always keep the bills in my name. I get the cheapest tariff saving the tenant a fortune. I keep an eye on the meter and know the bill amount before it it is even issued. I take a utilities deposit and deduct bills from that. Landlords and tenants should learn how to read meters and work out the bills themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

Lots of tenants will consider a property to be of a poorer standard or setup for council tenants- if it has a prepay meter installed. When I was renting- I always asked for a sizeable discount if there was a prepay meter- as aside from any other reason- the electricity on them is so damn expensive- its only fair to give a tenant a discount if they are expected to use one of these.........?

I would not give a discount seems like a stupid idea to expect one. Pre Pay meter has to be paid or electric goes off. If normal meter then electric bill will go a long way into arrears before the cut off happens, and the turn back on will be a very large amount which the LL will have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Update.
    After spending about 7 euros on calls over a few days to their number and put from one team to another from new connections to cancellations. I was told an engineer was going to turn up last Friday...no sign of them. Rang again around 4.30....guess what no record of removal request... blah blah could not talk to me as meter in tenants name.

Rang the regulator and they suggested making an official complaint to prepay..

Rang prepay again told them what I was told by regulator and removal of meter was re ordered again.
    Monday no sign of engineer or call to say going to remove meter on Monday. Rang afternoon again told them regulator told me to make an official complaint so after saying that the agent said he will call the company that installs them. While he was talking to me the engineer rang my number. 40minutes later engineer arrived at the house. 30minutes later removed meter and went to another house across the road. Most probably taking that one out too.
    Meter now out!!
    This in crazy. I don't know whether to complain as other landlords and new owners would have the same issue. You should not be forced keep this stuff in your property not if you did not asked for it to be installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Update.
    After spending about 7 euros on calls over a few days to their number and put from one team to another from new connections to cancellations. I was told an engineer was going to turn up last Friday...no sign of them. Rang again around 4.30....guess what no record of removal request... blah blah could not talk to me as meter in tenants name.

Rang the regulator and they suggested making an official complaint to prepay..

Rang prepay again told them what I was told by regulator and removal of meter was re ordered again.
    Monday no sign of engineer or call to say going to remove meter on Monday. Rang afternoon again told them regulator told me to make an official complaint so after saying that the agent said he will call the company that installs them. While he was talking to me the engineer rang my number. 40minutes later engineer arrived at the house. 30minutes later removed meter and went to another house across the road. Most probably taking that one out too.
    Meter now out!!
    This in crazy. I don't know whether to complain as other landlords and new owners would have the same issue. You should not be forced keep this stuff in your property not if you did not asked for it to be installed.

Agreed, the bin companies do it as well, you have to pay to have bins removed....

davindub wrote: »
    Agreed, the bin companies do it as well, you have to pay to have bins removed....

Remove all labels, leave them on the road, call the litter warden. Rather nuclear option but they are identified as the bin companies property...

I had bins from two previous providers left here by the former owner - really oddly one of them turned up out of the blue looking to reclaim them some months after we moved in - the previous owner had passed away in long term nursing home care about a year and a half before we got the keys! So probably hadn't paid in 3 to 4 years. Second one was my own provider and I just told them to remove it, which they did.

davindub wrote: »

That's crazy. I did not know that.

beaufoy wrote: »
    I would not give a discount seems like a stupid idea to expect one. Pre Pay meter has to be paid or electric goes off. If normal meter then electric bill will go a long way into arrears before the cut off happens, and the turn back on will be a very large amount which the LL will have to pay

The power was turned off as the meter was in arrears when I got the keys. There was no power on and that would affect insurance on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

These are the yolks from the 80s that you put 50p in and it gives you a day's electrity or whatever? Then at the end of the month you open it up and have your money for the bill?

Were yokes called yolks in the Eighties?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Thanks for the heads up.
    This is going to be fun. I am now going have to be there when the company takes the key meter and wait around until it is done. I did not know the wall mounted box was screwed into the wall inside the house. Why don't they just leave it next to the wall?
    Meter in tenants name. I don't think she expects her deposit back some how. She said house not properly cleaned as she said she as not had a chance to do it.

My crowd did same. I a using it as it us until I sell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Were yokes called yolks in the Eighties?

yeah :) and they cost about €10

rightmove wrote: »
    My crowd did same. I a using it as it us until I sell it

Make sure you use a new card or you will be paying their debt.
    Tenants should not be allowed to put these in. Companies are trespassing as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Make sure you use a new card or you will be paying their debt.
    Tenants should not be allowed to put these in. Companies are trespassing as far as I am concerned.

It's payg

Advertisement